Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The only thing I'm after in this sale are a couple of indie titles that I'm not convinced are worth full price, but still intrigue me.

For example, the rather odd Always Sometimes Monsters which I'd like to try, but I'm not convinced will give me a tenner worth of entertainment. Or The Forest, which is early access, and I've promised myself to stop buying games that are in early access. I sale might be enough to see me renege on that promise though. And by 'might' I mean 'definitely will'.

That said, roll on to the end of the sale and I'll probably have bought 20 games again, of which I'll play 4. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

thegame983 wrote: »
    No Dice. Wait for 75% off during the sale

Wasn't there some Deuz Ex HR DLC that was good? Cant seem to find it on the Steam store.

I have just the original launch copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I'm waiting on Skyrim Legendary edition :D.. Also guys keep an eye on Amazon US as they usually price match most games and it ends up working out cheaper for us ;P

Trying not to splash to much on this sale... But we'll see.. ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wasn't there some Deuz Ex HR DLC that was good? Cant seem to find it on the Steam store.

Yeah it looks like there's only the director's cut available, which includes the DLC. That's annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Yeah, the Missing Link DLC is supposed to be good. Think it's disappeared because of them (SquareEnix) trying to shove the Director's Cut edition at people? The original non-DC edition and DLC still pop up on sale on GMG, Amazon etc from time to time though, so keep an eye out. I got the complete Deus Ex pack on GMG a few weeks back. All the following for a tenner;

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    2. Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
    3. Deus Ex: Invisible War
    4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
    5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Tactical Enhancement
    6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Explosive Mission.

Also guys, you should check out sites like steamtrades. You can quite often get games even cheaper on there. People in Russia etc get the games at their local price and then trade them for TF2 keys. That's where I buy the bulk of my games. Desu ex: HR Directors cut, when it hits 75% off, will most likely cost 2 keys, which it around 3.50 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Actually as we speak, there is a 60% off Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors cut, thats a good early deal, its only like €8

If you already have Deus Ex HR on your steam account (the vanilla, non Directors Cut version) you get the directors cut at a very significant discount anyway.

Also guys, you should check out sites like steamtrades. You can quite often get games even cheaper on there. People in Russia etc get the games at their local price and then trade them for TF2 keys. That's where I buy the bulk of my games. Desu ex: HR Directors cut, when it hits 75% off, will most likely cost 2 keys, which it around 3.50 euro.

Some games are region locked so check before purchase..

Cravez wrote: »
    If you already have Deus Ex HR on your steam account (the vanilla, non Directors Cut version) you get the directors cut at a very significant discount anyway.

I think thats why I'm seeing it for €7 right now

Directors cut includes all DLC?

gazzamc wrote: »

Might be handy for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Looking to pick up Banished, Shadowrun:Dragonfall, XCOM: Enemy Within & Contraption Maker if they get 75% or more off. Will probably end up picking up a whole bunch of other stuff though. At least my bank balance is pretty depleted right now, never thought I'd find myself go glad about that.

gazzamc wrote: »

Yes. In general most new AAA games (Assassins' Creed 4, watch Dogs, etc) are region locked, or any games from big publishers (Child of Light)but any indie or basically non AAA game is fine. (such as Transistor)

The 4 games I want: Banished, Kentucky Route Zero, Shadowrun Returns & the Banner Saga are all region free. So happy day.

It's a nice way to save even more.

EDIT: Also older games are fine. i.e. All the Assassin's Creed games before Black Flag are region free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Yes. In general most new AAA games (Assassins' Creed 4, watch Dogs, etc) are region locked, or any games from big publishers (Child of Light)but any indie or basically non AAA game is fine. (such as Transistor)

The 4 games I want: Banished, Kentucky Route Zero, Shadowrun Returns & the Banner Saga are all region free. So happy day.

EDIT: Also older games are fine. i.e. All the Assassin's Creed games before Black Flag are region free

Kentucky Route Zero and Shadowrun Returns have been poppoing up cheap on gog.com over the last few days...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's an official DLC for Shadowrun Returns as well as tons of Steam Workshop content, so I'd urge everyone to consider it if it comes up.

Doc reminded me about the Total War series, I think I'll get Shogun 2 as it seems to be the most highly regarded and I've been keen to get my hands on one of those games.

Yeti Beast wrote: »

Good post..

Yep it's always nice to save a few euro.. I would add that there are a few scammers on steam trades so make sure they're reputable before trading.

The only ones I that had some issues with were the Metro games.. Although I did get a ROW key for last light when it released.. It depends a lot... The link above helps picking the right gams...

Shiminay wrote: »
    There's an official DLC for Shadowrun Returns as well as tons of Steam Workshop content, so I'd urge everyone to consider it if it comes up.

Doc reminded me about the Total War series, I think I'll get Shogun 2 as it seems to be the most highly regarded and I've been keen to get my hands on one of those games.

I'd personally recommend Medieval 2. I'm pretty sure the steam version come with the expansion. The mods are outstanding.

I much prefer the setting to Feudal Japan personally.

PS. Don't bother with Rome 2. I'm not of of these fanatics who likes to get all up in developer's faces for releasing a bad game...but it's really poor. Especially when compared to what came before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I got a black flag key cheap off Amazon.com for steam and it installed fine without any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

My rule of thumb for this sale: Don't buy anything even remotely resembling (B)Early (Complete) Access.

Apart from that I'll jump all over Dark Souls 2 for a good sale price. Possibly Payday 2 also.

3wayswitch wrote: »
    I got a black flag key cheap off Amazon.com for steam and it installed fine without any issues.

Yeah, what I meant was that it's region locked in Russia on Steam. That's the cheapest (or at least one of the cheapest) places to buy games directly from Steam.

For example. Bioshock Infinite is region locked in Russia, but like yourself, I just bought it from Amazon.com

• Advertisement

My rule of thumb for this sale: Don't buy anything even remotely resembling (B)Early (Complete) Access.

Apart from that I'll jump all over Dark Souls 2 for a good sale price. Possibly Payday 2 also.

Payday 2 is €6, how much of a sale are you hoping for :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

That's the latest DLC's price. PAYDAY 2 is priced at 27.99.

Falthyron wrote: »
    That's the latest DLC's price. PAYDAY 2 is priced at 27.99.

oh right, not very clear, just says "Payday 2" on my steam catalogue

Guys when does the sale actually start? Is it today?

TWO HOURS!! Like a kid at Christmas here... :D

I'm hoping for a negative price!

Ah no, on the same note though I hope none of the Flash sales mess up, if they go negative the buy buttons get removed which is really frustrating at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

TWO HOURS!! Like a kid at Christmas here... :D

if you're like me, you installed all those games you never played since the last sale last night, and got all the cards by having the game running but tabbed out, sold the cards on the marketplace and have a few quid on your steamwallet from it for tonight.. :)

if you're like me, you installed all those games you never played since the last sale last night, and got all the cards by having the game running but tabbed out, sold the cards on the marketplace and have a few quid on your steamwallet from it for tonight.. :)

My long lost brother!?! How did you know!?! :eek:

:D

I really never even checked out steamcards, and have no idea what they are. Feel a bit silly now since lads are talking about making real $$$ from selling them.

it's handy for sales and F2P games that you can just use the steamwallet to buy premium for the likes of warthunder or pick up that supercheap 1.99 indie game you never thought about buying until the price went to 80% off :)

it's handy for sales and F2P games that you can just use the steamwallet to buy premium for the likes of warthunder or pick up that supercheap 1.99 indie game you never thought about buying until the price went to 80% off :)

Agreed!. I'm pretty broke right now so I put all 200 or so cards on the marketplace a few days ago. Sold nearly half of them for 14 euro. Still another 10 or so quid to be made. Nice!

• Advertisement

lol i thought i was doing well with my 4 euro haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I still don't get it. Who are you selling them to and why would anyone buy them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

75 mins:)

Won't be buying anything unless it's a flash sale, daily deal or maybe community choice. Having said that I am desperate for Skyrim with all the DLC.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I still don't get it. Who are you selling them to and why would anyone buy them?

You just list them on the marketplace, then someone buys them eventually. They generally sell for anything between 5 & 15 cent (sometimes more, but rarely)

Basically if you complete a 'set' of cards, you can craft a 'badge' and level up your steam profile.

Essentially, there's just digital collector cards that come free with certain games.

ScumLord wrote: »

Yeah I don't get it at all, but I sell them and money appears so, whatever, I won't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

75 mins:)

Won't be buying anything unless it's a flash sale, daily deal or maybe community choice. Having said that I am desperate for Skyrim with all the DLC.

If you see it all for 12 grab it, wont go lower than that id say, got that deal last year and 12 is a damn good price for all that content

Some tips for anyone who hasn't experienced a Steam Sale before. Check out the diagram half way down. http://digitalgamedeals.com/steam-summer-getaway-sale-2013-live-runs-from-711-22/

Having said that I am desperate for Skyrim with all the DLC.

If you don't already have the previous elder scrolls games I strongly suggest looking into The Elder Scrolls Anthology. Comes with all the maps, all the games and all the DLC (full DLC for Oblivion and Elder Scrolls come in the format of steam keys).

Well worth it and in some cases cheaper than getting everything individually depending on what you already have.

you get "XP" for completing sets, which in turn increases your steam level and grant you bonus cards every so often, the higher your level the more often you get the bonus or booster cards sent to your inventory.

It's actually genius, steam take a percentage of the sale even if it's only 1c they are constantly making cash from that, afaik the developer also makes a certain amount from each sale. Considering that the same card can be sold multiple times that's a fairly cool golden goose for both steam and the devs

Aside from making a few cent/euro back on games that have cards associated with them, there's not much else to it. But even if you can make back a euro from selling a games cards on the marketplace it's worth doing.

Although Steam has been more stable in recent sale events, there is a chance the home page on the Steam client might crash as it makes the big switch. You can try using the website if the client goes down: www.steampowered.com

Also: It can take a few minutes to actually update all the prices to their sale prices. This is particularly evident with the Daily Sales where a game might say 33% off and you are thinking "That's not a lot", but wait 10-15 minutes for the prices to update properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well, i just want to tell you Good Luck. We're all counting on you.

Fun times ahead.

If anyone sees a deal and knows of a better deal elsewhere, can they post here, or stick with the bargains thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Although Steam has been more stable in recent sale events, there is a chance the home page on the Steam client might crash as it makes the big switch. You can try using the website if the client goes down: www.steampowered.com

Also: It can take a few minutes to actually update all the prices to their sale prices. This is particularly evident with the Daily Sales where a game might say 33% off and you are thinking "That's not a lot", but wait 10-15 minutes for the prices to update properly.
    It's people pinging the client and the page that crashes it. Several million gamers-come-shoppers tallying 1-5 hits each. Thats a lot of hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Crafting badges is essentially investing into your steam account if you want to do it. The benefits are:
    - Every 10 levels you get another showcase to use (e.g your rarest achievements, screenshot showcase, games library, items to trade etc)
    - Every 5 levels increases your slot capacity for friends by 10 or 20 (not sure which)
    - Every 10 levels increases your chance of randomly obtaining a booster pack for a game you own by 20%. Booster packs give you 3 trading cards for the game which you can craft for another badge or sell on the marketplace (either 3 cards individually or the pack itself)

I crafted a few on a whim and it sorta became an additiction. Crafting badges you can get an emoticon from the game or background to use on your steam profile. The rarer ones can sell for good money. I sold a background a while ago for €4.

F5, F5, F5, F5!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Desu ex: HR Directors cut, when it hits 75% off

Best typo ever. KAWAII JENSON-SAN! ^_^

BOOYAH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It takes a minute or two for the prices to update before anyone panics

Oooooh! A competition to win games! :D

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Looks like a soft launch, with the sale prices to kick in a few mintes after summer sale pages are loaded in.

:10 past the hour for prices. Probably done so Valve can quickly verify flash sale errors

Boo-urns. That's been my favourite game in the past - nab 10 copies of the game with the erroneous 99% discount.

Advertisement