Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

It has begun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well I'm safe for 8 hours at least

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is riptide worth it? Is it standalone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Essential metadata website:

http://www.steamgamesales.com/

Farm For you Life: Buy and get paid a penny?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Watch dogs seems to have gone up €10. Last time I looked on the site it was €49, now it's €59.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

ScumLord wrote: »
    Watch dogs seems to have gone up €10. Last time I looked on the site it was €49, now it's €59.

Yup, we've seen the same in previous sales. Activision games in particular

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well first game purchased; Farcry 3 Deluxe edition for 7.49 EUR. It's been on my "to get list" as I liked Farcry 1 and 2 and with some DLCs it has to be the Deluxe over standard :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Nothing of interest at the mo. Another 8 hour wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Re: the trading card game;
    Craft badges

Collect all 10 Summer Adventure trading cards to craft the badge.

You can get trading cards in a few ways: as a reward for purchasing from the Steam Store (1 card per $10 USD or equivalent), crafting game badges, voting in the Community’s Choice sale (1 card per 3 votes), by trading, or by purchasing them in the Community Market. Read more specifics in the FAQ.

Earn rewards and points

Crafting the Summer Adventure Badge gets you:

1 in-game item (or 5 for the foil badge)
    1 emoticon
    1 profile background
    a chance at a Team Token
    10 points (or 100 for the foil badge)

To earn more points you can keep crafting the badge during the sale.

Summer Adventure Badge - 10 points
    Summer Adventure Foil Badge - 100 points
    any other game badge - 1 point
    any foil game badge - 10 points

Each day 1 team wins

Everyone is randomly assigned to a team when they click the "Join a Team" button above or when they craft a badge. Your points count toward your team’s daily total.

Each day the team with the most points wins. 30 members of that team who contributed points that day will win 3 games off their Wishlist. Make sure to update your Wishlist.

Anyone who contributed points to that win will get 2 bonus Summer Sale trading cards. Everyone else who contributed points that day will get 1 bonus card.

The points are totaled and a new day begins at 10am PDT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hrm, may update the ol' wishlist then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Xcom is better value if bought with The Bureau for €6.79 instead of on its own for €6.59.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

If anyone is interested in Xcom, do't be put off by the measly 67% off.

Xcom standalone - 6.59e

Xcom Complete (with all DLC including Enemy Within) - 9.89 ***This is the one to get!

also
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown + The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - 6.79.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

"Bargains gather, and now my hunt begins. It shall not end until my bankruptcy. I shall do no work, hold no responsibilities, date no women. I shall play no games and collect no achievements. I shall eat and sleep at my PC. I am the wallet that funds Half Life 3. I pledge my money and my dignity to Gaben, for this Sale and all Sales to come."

:pac:

Price just updated for Xcom base game, to 75% off at €4.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If anyone else is interested in sins of a solar empire Im up for going in on a 4 pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Democracy 3 any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Krusader wrote: »
    Democracy 3 any good?

I'm also sadly interested in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My steam account has been forever locked to the american store since buying Oblivion over there three years ago.
    Just picked up the Far Cry franchise bundle for $15 (been meaning to play 3 & Blood Dragon). Going to keep an eye out for the assassins creed franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any preferences for the vote, as neither appeal to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

New to this 'Steam' craic. Have a crappy laptop but would like to get a few games on it. Any recommendations for the sale that won't be too heavy on the ol laptop? Looking at Don't Starve seems like it could be a good shout!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

New to this 'Steam' craic. Have a crappy laptop but would like to get a few games on it. Any recommendations for the sale that won't be too heavy on the ol laptop? Looking at Don't Starve seems like it could be a good shout!

Dont starve is a great little game, dont get the DLC for it until it drops further in price :)

All really depends on the spec of the laptop and type of games your into really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Without knowing your specs I can't make any recommendations but this will help if you decide on some games yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Terraria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Sins of solar empire is tempting - anyone played it ?

Fell at the first fence, Witcher 2 for 4 euro was too good to resist :D

Good point chums. Hope this suffices.

Processor AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    Manufacturer AMD
    Speed 1.6 GHz
    Number of Cores 2

Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics
    Manufacturer ATI
    Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics
    Dedicated Memory 384 MB
    Total Memory 2.9 GB

Memory 5.8 GB
    Terraria

Happens to be the only game I have! Which is awesome, but I would like to expand and get a few more :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Processor AMD E-450 APU

Happens to be the only game I have! Which is awesome, but I would like to expand and get a few more :P

Unfortunately it looks like the only game you can play.

You should try GOG.com there are plenty of all time classic games that would run on that processor and are on sale now.

GarIT wrote: »

I did say it's a crappy laptop unfortunately :(

I'll be investing in a new one hopefully at the end of the summer though.

Mad_Dave wrote: »
    Sins of solar empire is tempting - anyone played it ?

I have it. Looks great, but I never really played it much. The tutorial is a bit meh . I've been meaning to watch a few let's plays to get my head around it.

• Advertisement

I did say it's a crappy laptop unfortunately :(

Use the site posted a few posts up to check if you can run games, you may be able to run a couple of light indie games, but your processor is only as powerful as gaming desktops from 2000-2005. I think my brother has run Minecraft on something similar to your laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Not quite! I have the same specs more or less on my little portable laptop, installed at the moment is AOE 2, Knights of the old Republic, Mark of the Ninja htline miami, half life, Dear Esther (havent played yet), Deus Ex, Trine and Worms. Plenty good games out there to run, but you wont be running any intensive modern 3d games.

I did try to run the latest tomb raider on it, i think it averaged about 20 FPS at 800 x 600 on the lowest settings!

Krusader wrote: »
    Democracy 3 any good?
    titan18 wrote: »
    I'm also sadly interested in this

Great game for about 5 hours, then its the worst most repetitive game you could ever play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Use the site posted a few posts up to check if you can run games, you may be able to run a couple of light indie games, but your processor is only as powerful as gaming desktops from 2000-2005. I think my brother has run Minecraft on something similar to your laptop.

It will run minecraft alright!

I can run Don't Starve which is pretty sweet. Tbh I'm not looking to play any of the big games that come out on console too. Only the cool Indie games that you wouldn't get on console. Until I can upgrade near the end of the summer!

I do have Minecraft actually but haven't played that in a couple years!

I can run Don't Starve which is pretty sweet. Tbh I'm not looking to play any of the big games that come out on console too. Only the cool Indie games that you wouldn't get on console. Until I can upgrade near the end of the summer!

I recommend Rogue Legacy when it hits 75% off. Fantastic game that will last you a long time

• Advertisement

If you want to play some great games try Fallout and Baldur's Gate, both are going cheep on GOG at the moment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I highly recommend FTL ;D

+1 for the original fallout and Fallout 2, and FTL, also, if you enjoyed Terraria, try starbound if it goes on sale, it's still in early beta but it's very promising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Source engine games should run fine on it. HL2, probably L4D2 and portal 2 as well.
    Plenty of great indie games that will run fine on it... Trine 2 might push it to the limit, but grab it if you're getting a new laptop later on; it's a beautiful game and very regularly discounted heavily. Lighter on the system... VVVVVV, Limbo, Papers Please and Antichamber.

When buying a new laptop or PC, don't forget to check the graphics card, which is the most important thing for games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, this sales' gimmick is definitely gimmicky...

First blood goes to Democracy 3. Wanted to pick it up for a while but the base price was always a bit excessive.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys have taken down all recommendations so will look into them all shortly.

Googled FTL, Faster Than Light is it? If you die it's permadeath?...... lol

Thanks guys have taken down all recommendations so will look into them all shortly.

Yeah but it's rogue-like. Meaning every playthrough is different. It's actually what makes it such a great game, another gem is The Binding of Isaac, also permadeath but again...it's a rogue-like and what makes it such a great game.

'Rogue Legacy' is another good one to try out if you enjoy roguelikes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

It's very addictive :D

Right sorry for taking this so off topic. Last question :P So, first game I looked into was Binding of Isaac, looks awesome! So ran the Can I Run It test and it passes everything but CPU Speed. Requires 2.5, I have 1.6. Does this definitely rule out being able to play it properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I doubt it, it's a very system-light game really, I'd say you'll be fine. Failing that, there's always old classics like Terror From The Deep, which will run on anything these days and still have that magical addiction...

First blood goes to The Fall. Looks nicely atmospheric, generally recommended in reviews, and an interesting premise where you play the AI of a suit of power armour trying to get your injured pilot to safety. I know I'm broke, but it's only a fiver...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sarky wrote: »
    I know I'm broke, but it's only a fiver...

Want a copy of Space Hulk then?

Grabbed The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and X:Com Enemy Unknown

Grabbed The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and X:Com Enemy Unknown

Hope ye got the complete edition of EU, it's got enemy within in it too and all the DLC. So Soooo worth it :)

Hope ye got the complete edition of EU, it's got enemy within in it too and all the DLC. So Soooo worth it :)

Was going to but the complete pack didn't have The Bureau and that's a game I've had my eye on for a long time. Figure that I may grab the DLC before the end of the sale but for now the vanilla version is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement