Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Got Binding of Isaac and Don't Starve. Played Binding of Isaac there, really cool premise, no idea what I was at that, made it to the 3rd level, died on 3rd boss, not really sure what I'm at, will come back to it though! Now to try out Don't Starve :D

Also just picked up Papers, Please. Woo for Steam Sales :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Got Far Cry 3 Deluxe, Mirrors Edge and some Xcom dlc. Hoping not spend too much but i've said that the last two sales and thats gone out the window each time.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

50% off! :pac:

Bah!

I'm holding off for bigger discounts. Roll on 29th-30th :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

How long do these sales last.. Specificly Far Cry and Borderlands 2 GOTY :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

9bred4 wrote: »
    How long do these sales last.. Specificly Far Cry and Borderlands 2 GOTY :D

Daily Deals: 48 hours
    Everything Else: 8 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Safe for 8 hours.

I sometimes find the best deals are legacy games that you need to search for.

Keep an eye out for modern warfare titles. Cod4 and mw4 still have big followings online on PC and will probs go down 50% off.

Anyone got any good spots on legacy games ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So, first game I looked into was Binding of Isaac, looks awesome! So ran the Can I Run It test and it passes everything but CPU Speed. Requires 2.5, I have 1.6. Does this definitely rule out being able to play it properly?

It's just a Flash game, anything can run it. (Doesn't necessarily mean it'll run well that is -heck even busy rooms lag on my machine)

Daily Deals: 48 hours
    Everything Else: 8 hours

Panicked and bought them! Couldn't afford not to buy Borderlands 2 GOTY really.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Shot my load on gog sale (15 games) so gonna be taking it easy this time round....hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Keep forgetting that when games are on special, so are the related games. So will pick up Far Cry Blood Dragon since I hear good things about it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks guys have taken down all recommendations so will look into them all shortly.

Googled FTL, Faster Than Light is it? If you die it's permadeath?...... lol

It's incredibly addictive, and is one of the few games in my steam collection to break the 100 hours barrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well this has gone to hell in a handbasket. Already bought a handful of games I didn't want 6 hours ago. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Keep forgetting that when games are on special, so are the related games. So will pick up Far Cry Blood Dragon since I hear good things about it

Blood Dragon!!! I actually love this game more than anything I've played in years!!
    I bought the far cry bundle tonight and only stopped playing BD now. It looks amazing, the 80's retro look and music are brilliant and the over acting and nods to other classic movies are great!

Thumbs up 10 out of 10 so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I want a sequel to Blood Dragon it is so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Didn't ubisoft say they will do something similar after far cry 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

****, Sins of Solar empire: Rebelion and Far Cry 3. I just could not say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I want Divinity: Original Sin but 20% off + Early Access (more acceptable here as it was a Kickstarter project) makes me wary. It is right up my alley though in terms of game genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

So, I didn't really want anything when the sale started but here I am 4 cans later and I've just realised it would be stupid not to buy 3 of those games that previously didn't really interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So, I didn't really want anything when the sale started but here I am 4 cans later and I've just realised it would be stupid not to buy 3 of those games that previously didn't really interest me.

When you drink, there are three things you have to stay off:

1 .Amazon
    2. Steam Sale
    3. Phone

When you drink, there are three things you have to stay off:

1 .Amazon
    2. Steam Sale
    3. Phone

Amen brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I got two of those foil summer cards and made a fiver from selling them, now i cant stop buying cards..

Someone help! Gaben has me in his evil clutches..

I got assigned to the blue team btw, and already have 36 points racked up from those bleedin' cards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I bought far cry 3 blood dragon and was about to pick up Dont Starve when I glanced through my steam library

I have age of empires 2 HD edition from last time

and I've never played

f*ck the summer sale, I actually need to play some of these games I own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Riptide worth it? Looking at metro last light too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nothing interests me so far that I haven't already got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Was going to but the complete pack didn't have The Bureau and that's a game I've had my eye on for a long time. Figure that I may grab the DLC before the end of the sale but for now the vanilla version is fine.

I highly recommend skipping the vanilla version and going straight to the DLC. It is the same game with extras, most importantly - much more varied missions. It is truly the version of the game that the original should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Pulled the trigger on Far Cry 3. Been meaning to give it a go for a while now, hopefully I'll get around to it before the next summer sale.

Fook sake lads I had to go get Far Cry Blood Dragon because someone mentioned it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

I got assigned to the blue team btw, and already have 36 points racked up from those bleedin' cards :D

51371249.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I was unprepared for the mass onslaught of the steam sales...now I've missed DayZ on discount! Only 15% off though, was expecting a bit more?!?

#TeamGreen

I was unprepared for the mass onslaught of the steam sales...now I've missed DayZ on discount! Only 15% off though, was expecting a bit more?!?

#TeamGreen

You haven't missed it - it's still on sale for the next 40 hours or so! And it's only an alpha - never likely to get more of a discount really... Although it's ridiculous that they included it in the daily deals at all with such a low discount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just bought the witcher for some reason. Doubt I'll ever play it. Doh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    You haven't missed it - it's still on sale for the next 40 hours or so! And it's only an alpha - never likely to get more of a discount really... Although it's ridiculous that they included it in the daily deals at all with such a low discount.

Oh, maybe I should read the time thing on it...enough time for me to load some money onto the account then! Agree with that. 15% is like €3 off of it, nothing in the grand scheme of things but oh well! DayZ and papers please looking like the only purchases for me..waiting for GTA V, unless something tasty pops up in daily deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Marlow briggs and the mask of death for 99 cent...

if you feel like some shameless god of war rip off

Amazon.com are price matching some items on the Steam sale, but because their prices are in dollars rather than euros, you'll save money (edit - only some of the games work out cheaper in euro... do the math!). Just be aware that not all games are Steam keys, and some won't activate on non-USA accounts.

Link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

9bred4 wrote: »
    Fook sake lads I had to go get Far Cry Blood Dragon because someone mentioned it..

Sorry. :o
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Marlow briggs and the mask of death for 99 cent...

if you feel like some shameless god of war rip off

Was looking at that another time. Good? Or at least worth that price? I have played all GoW games
    Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Amazon.com are price matching some items on the Steam sale, but because their prices are in dollars rather than euros, you'll save money (edit - some fo the games work out cheaper in euro... do the math!). Just be aware that not all games are Steam keys, and some won't activate on non-USA accounts.

Link.

The one thing that goes against Amazon, or may be a good thing in the long run is you have to purchase the games one at a time and can't add to the basket.

American uPlay codes work here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fcuking Steam sales.

Think to myself yesterday; "Be cool, you already have 377 games on your account and you haven't played half them. All you want is Starbound and Shadowrrun."

Annnnnd I've just bought The Bureau, Payday 2 and Sid Meier's Pirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm just going to put this here to help people....

http://steamdb.info/calculator/

It tells you how many games you have... & what & are unplayed.

I am ashamed at my unplayed %....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Agent J wrote: »

Be wary, my unplayed rate is put at 61% but this includes any game that I stopped playing before March 2009, which is a lot of them (I joined in 2007 and added a lot of serial numbers from games I already had etc. For example, it seems to think I never played a Civilisation game before Civ V... :D). It also doesn't (or usen't anyway) pick up any game played in offline mode and sometimes just gets things wrong.

Also, like me, you'll have games on there that were the "also rans" from bundles alongside games you bought for nostalgic value (e.g. the X series and old XCOM games for me for example) that you've never played. Finally, I *know* some of those unplayed's are wrong as I know I installed and played some of them (perhaps there was some network error or I was in offline mode or something though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Agent J wrote: »

Why would you link this, sadistic bastard :)

• Advertisement

Decided to grap Marlow Briggs and the Mmask of Death, been on my to buy list for a while and at 99cent it's hard to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

For anyone playing on a laptop like myself, I also find Game Debate good for telling me whether I can run games or not. You have to manually input your specs but I find it has never steered me wrong. Handy if you're at work as well as you have access to your profile everywhere, unlike System Requirements Lab which assesses the machine you're checking from.

So far I haven't bought anything (sorry Team Red! I'm not contributing very much), but I made the mistake of spending a half hour looking at the recommended games section and I've doubled my wishlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Oh, maybe I should read the time thing on it...enough time for me to load some money onto the account then! Agree with that. 15% is like €3 off of it, nothing in the grand scheme of things but oh well! DayZ and papers please looking like the only purchases for me..waiting for GTA V, unless something tasty pops up in daily deals

Probably too late but I don't think Dayz is worth it in it's current state. I went and bought it a couple of weeks ago and have only put a couple of hours into it. Major performance issues and zombies currently run through any obstacles (and apparently there's no sign of a fix in the near future). Keep your money in your pocket till it sorts itself out and play the mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Got XCOM the Bureau.

4 euro is cheap for a game less than a year old....and I loved Enemy Unknown/Within. Can't go wrong really.
    Probably too late but I don't think Dayz is worth it in it's current state. I went and bought it a couple of weeks ago and have only put a couple of hours into it. Major performance issues and zombies currently run through any obstacles (and apparently there's no sign of a fix in the near future). Keep your money in your pocket till it sorts itself out and play the mod.

DayZ will never be "fixed". It has the same basic problems it had a year ago....before it even went standalone. So if you go in with that mindset, you wont be as irritated by it.

The team isn't big enough or talented enough. Take your pick. They cant get the engine to do what they want it to. And there is a fierce stench of 3dRealms off their dev team in that they prefer to actually play other peoples games as opposed to making/fixing their own. Which would be fine if they hadn't made an absolute fortune so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Kirby wrote: »
    Got XCOM the Bureau.

4 euro is cheap for a game less than a year old....and I loved Enemy Unknown/Within. Can't go wrong really.

I got the same, i heard the DLC makes it pretty decent as it randomises the missions later on so i picked up that so 6 euro all in.

I also picked up sins of a solar empire as i like that game and the modding community is like the X community, i have seen some pretty cool star trek & war conversions in the past. They did an unofficial armada conversion which i loved as that was a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pretty slow start to the sale, nothing of interest for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I'll be looking out for Stick of Truth (think it already appeared as a flash sale), If I buy on steam do I get the uncensored version?

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I'll be looking out for Stick of Truth (think it already appeared as a flash sale), If I buy on steam do I get the uncensored version?

It was 27 euro in the flash sale and the PC version is uncensored. It was only the console versions in Europe that were censored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

An early access game with DLC. At least wait until day 1.

Just got a Purple Team token from crafting a badge.... They're currently going for €12.50 on the Steam market. :eek:

That's my sale budget sorted for the next few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

How long do these sales generally last for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement