Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well I'm in the red team and we're fecked :/ I hope they randomize the team every night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Hmmm I did got a summer adventure bag for TF2. It says its rare and goes for 8eu... Whats in it? Is it worth selling for 8eu as I dont play TF2 at all.

If you don't play TF2, then yeah, sell it on the market or trade it with someone who does play. €8 is a good price for a "free" item from crafting a badge. It will pay for a few more games in the sale. :pac:

Edit: Don't open/activate the bag though - you might not be able to sell it after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Won't let me trade anything, its greyed out saying that I need to have bought something in the last year, and over 30 days ago. So therefore, I can do nothing in regards seling any cards, meh.

Have some TF2 stuff that I got from god knows where, that seemingly goes for a few bob.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Won't let me trade anything, its greyed out saying that I need to have bought something in the last year, and over 30 days ago. So therefore, I can do nothing in regards seling any cards, meh.

Have some TF2 stuff that I got from god knows where, that seemingly goes for a few bob.

Yeah, some of the restrictions are a bit daft - activating a new device (logging in on your phone for the first time for example) gives you a temporary trade ban, or using a new payment method. Would be nice to be warned in advance.

As regards the 30 day thing, I think you have to have bought something more than 30 days ago, but less than a year, or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Crafted another badge and got Rhino skin in warframe. Not valuable item, but I do play warframe, so happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Are people only getting the items/tokens with the Summer Sale badge or is it confirmed you can get them by crafting regular game badges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Hmmm I did got a summer adventure bag for TF2. It says its rare and goes for 8eu... Whats in it? Is it worth selling for 8eu as I dont play TF2 at all.

- Backpack Expander (69c)
    - Name or Description Tag (74c)
    - 1 random drop weapon (worthless)
    - a special summer cosmetic item (no idea what they are, so can't ascertain value)

No idea how a single hat makes it worth an extra €8, although the Wiki and the item servers are down, so it's hard to tell what's special about the cosmetics.

EDIT: Apparently it's a single random cosmetic item with a note in it's description stating it was earned during the sale. So, basically a craft hat, which is worth no more than a euro. So absolutely sell them if people are gullible and stupid enough to buy them for anything more than €1.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Cravez wrote: »
    Are people only getting the items/tokens with the Summer Sale badge or is it confirmed you can get them by crafting regular game badges?

The summer items come only from assembling the summer badge from all the summer cards, 1-10. However, if you assemble a game badge (e.g. Civilization V or Left 4 Dead 2), you will get a summer card in addition to the normal stuff you receive when you assemble a game badge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't get the whole crafting thing. For example, after 100+ hours of Skyrim, i only have one card, so how am i supposed to collect the others? Is buying them the only way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The points are reset every day, but surely those who start on the purple team are far better off as you'll be more likely to get those with deep pockets to switch to purple on the first day.
    Or maybe the other teams are saving cards because they don't see the point for today. Whatever the story, those cards are going for quite a bit of money and the price of others have gone up. So if there's any old cards in the inventory, now is the time to sell them.

Sure the chance of winning anything is so miniscule. People must be spending more than their potential win!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Kiith wrote: »
    I don't get the whole crafting thing. For example, after 100+ hours of Skyrim, i only have one card, so how am i supposed to collect the others? Is buying them the only way?

You should get one for every approx. 20 minutes played, up to about half the amount of cards available. You can buy or trade for the rest, or await a random booster pack of three to be added to your inventory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Or trading other game cards; they limited the system now that you can only get half a badge in drops from the game (which sucks) or if it is FTP you need to spend ~$9 in game / card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Reckon Don't Starve will go any cheaper than €3.74? Maybe 90% off at some stage over sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Reckon Don't Starve will go any cheaper than €3.74? Maybe 90% off at some stage over sale?

Nah. Once a game appears on a daily/flash/community choice sale. That's it. That's as low as it will go.

Well usually anyway.

thegame983 wrote: »
    Nah. Once a game appears on a daily/flash/community choice sale. That's it. That's as low as it will go.

Well usually anyway.

Yeah I just found out from enhanced steam that it's €2.69 on Amazon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Got the Witchers 1 and 2 for about €5.50.

I played 2 before but wasn't totally swayed by the combat.

But that was a pirate version so I felt honour-bound to buy it and, besides, I heard they tweaked the combat a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Gbear wrote: »
    Got the Witchers 1 and 2 for about €5.50.

I played 2 before but wasn't totally swayed by the combat.

But that was a pirate version so I felt honour-bound to buy it and, besides, I heard they tweaked the combat a little bit.

The combat in Witcher 1 is worse :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Falthyron wrote: »
    The combat in Witcher 1 is worse :(

I prefer it over 2, you need to time it right.. (Although there is parts of 2 that I enjoy but it feels too easy)..

I grabbed this too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Day 2 and another day where I don't want anything.

This whole card thing is even more dangerous then sale it self.
    It's like gambling now. I almost decided to buy 2 sets of summer cards too get some rewards, but then realised it will cost me over 7eu. For 7eu I can buy a bloody good game right off!!

At this point it makes more sense just buy and complete your old decks and get that 1 summer sale card, then buy it right off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Spore @ €4.99 sounds like what its normal price should be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Another meh day. Even though I've constantly said no to Prison Architect when it was 25%/33%/40%, even 66% still seems a tad too expensive...

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Another meh day. Even though I've constantly said no to Prison Architect when it was 25%/33%/40%, even 66% still seems a tad too expensive...

Humming and hawing over it too. I know it's a great game, but spending a tenner on a single game in a Steam sale seems inherently wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Purple team are way ahead again. I can see a pattern forming here. Come on red team!

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Spore @ €4.99 sounds like what its normal price should be...
    Decided to pick it up because I think I'll get some casual fun out of it.

Nody wrote: »
    Decided to pick it up because I think I'll get some casual fun out of it.

A fiver (at 75% off) for a game from 2008 on Steam isn't great though imo.

You should enjoy it though, I had good fun with it a few years ago :)

Dark Souls 2 is a wee bit too expensive at 33% off. Maybe we will get better deal.

I am so annyoed I lost that 7 days to die deal. It was god damn late at night :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Should come up last day(29th) again hopefully,wouldnt mind picking it up either

How much was it up for anyway? (7 days to die that is)

Bought Walking Dead season 2, Prison Architect, Bulletstorm, State of Decay, Red Alert 3, Blood Dragon and Amnesia MoP already today. And really tempted by Divinity Original Sin.

God damn it Steam...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just completed my badge, helping out my red team lads!

Dark Souls 2 is a wee bit too expensive at 33% off. Maybe we will get better deal.

I am so annyoed I lost that 7 days to die deal. It was god damn late at night :mad:

This our next Rust Shadow? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

icon4.pngDON'T BUY A GAME UNLESS IT'S A DAILY DEAL, FLASH SALE, OR COMMUNITY CHOICE.icon4.png
    If a game is a daily deal, flash sale, or community choice THE PRICE WILL NOT GO LOWER. Additionally, major titles are most likely going to be all three at least once.

Daily Deals
    Title|Discount|Price|Metascore|Platform|Cards| PC Gaming Wiki
    DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition|50%|€24.99|68|Windows|No |Yes
    Game Dev Tycoon|60%|€3.59|68|Windows/Mac/Linux|Yes|Yes
    State of Decay|75%|€4.74|79|Windows|No|Yes
    Prison Architect|66%|€9.51|N/A|Windows/Mac/Linux|Yes|Yes
    RPG Maker VX Ace|75%|€14.99|N/A|Windows|Yes|No
    The Walking Dead: Season 2|50%|€11.49|N/A|Windows/Mac|No|Yes
    Bound By Flame|40%|€23.99|N/A|Windows|Yes |Yes
    Plague Inc: Evolved|33%|€9.37|N/A|Windows/Mac|Yes|Yes
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs|75%|€4.12|72|Windows/Mac/Linux|No| Yes

Other Daily Deals (hidden, franchise, etc)
    Amnesia Collection|80% |€5.79|72|Windows/Mac/Linux|No|Yes
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent####################|80%|€3.29|85|Windows/Mac/Linux|No|Yes
    The Walking Dead |75%|€5.74|82|Windows/Mac|Yes|Yes

Flash sales
    SPORE™ |75%|€4.99|84|Windows|No|Yes
    Mount & Blade: Warband######################|80%|€3.99|N/A|Windows|Yes|Yes
    Dungeon Defenders|75%|€2.99|81| Windows/Mac/Linux|No|Yes
    Pixel Piracy|50%|€6.99|N/A|Windows/Mac/Linux|Yes|Yes

Community Choice
    ORION: Dino Horde|90%|€1.49|36|Windows|Yes|Yes
    RAGE###################### #######|75%|€4.99|79|Windows|No|Yes
    Call of Juarez® Gunslinger|75%|€3.74|79|Windows|Yes|Yes
    Bulletstorm™|75%|€4.99|82|Windows|No|Yes

Other flash/community choice deals
    Mount & Blade Collection*|80%|€5.99|N/A|Windows|Yes|Yes
    SPORE™ Complete Pack**|75%|€6.48|N/A|53|Windows|No|Yes
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger + Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon|75%|€6.24|79| Windows|Yes|Yes

*Individual titles & collection on sale too. Check collection sub page for details.
    **Certain SPORE packages on sale, check individual pages.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just completed my badge, helping out my red team lads!

I completed a few but my team is letting me down.. Damn green team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gazzamc wrote: »
    I completed a few but my team is letting me down.. Damn green team.

Yeah, I held off on completing it until today, not much point when we were dead last.

If a game is a daily deal, flash sale, or community choice THE PRICE WILL NOT GO LOWER

I'm pretty sure in the past, games have re-appeared in the sale at a lower price before. Can't give an example, but vaguely remember picking something up on day 1 or 2, only for it to be even cheaper in a few days.

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This our next Rust Shadow? :P

Hell yeah! I am down for it. I just need for it to go to 75% again. I missed it last time ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I'm pretty sure in the past, games have re-appeared in the sale at a lower price before. Can't give an example, but vaguely remember picking something up on day 1 or 2, only for it to be even cheaper in a few days.

I'm not an expert on Steam Sales, it just says that on Reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's good to check the games page, pretty much anything related to the game on sale, is also on sale. I'd never played that walking dead game, didn't want to jump in at 2 but noticed that all the walking dead stuff is on sale to go with it.

Damn this sale for coming up a week before I'm supposed to go on holiday.

I'm not an expert on Steam Sales, it just says that on Reddit.

Not 100% sure myself to be honest...either way, it's nice and cheap :)

Things which pop up in a flash sale have appeared cheaper in a daily deal and vise versa. I know I got the Witcher 2 for cheaper in a flash deal than it had been in a daily deal days beforehand.

• Advertisement

They did it with Football Manager 2013 last year if I remember correctly.

FFS Blue Team, get it together!

Gonna pick up TWD - is it worth getting the 400 Days DLC too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Is State of Decay worth a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

so yeah, i just joined the erm....pink team...

Links234 wrote: »

I'll let you know in a little while. Downloading as we speak.

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    FFS Blue Team, get it together!

It's completely unrelated to the main thing.. But if you enjoy TWD then maybe.. It's much shorter too..

Yes, I would recommend it if you like zombie games.. You look for supplies and upgrade your base.. The map is a nice size too..

sweetie wrote: »
    so yeah, i just joined the erm....pink team...

Haha same here :)

It's actually one of the better zombie games out there. Really focuses on the scavenging and surviving as you try to get more people, build up your base, get supplies etc

The only downside is that when you have the best base possible, it sorta loses its touch. It's definitely worth the price it's at though!

Yeti Beast wrote: »

Decisions you make in TWD carry over into Season 2 in some form or another. The 400 days DLC also relates to the second season and based on the decisions you make. If you start playing TWD Season One now and you think you'll buy Season Two down the line from what you see then i'd recommend getting 400 Days DLC before the end of the sale.

Cravez wrote: »
    Decisions you make in TWD carry over into Season 2 in some form or another. The 400 days DLC also relates to the second season and based on the decisions you make. If you start playing TWD Season One now and you think you'll buy Season Two down the line from what you see then i'd recommend getting 400 Days DLC before the end of the sale.

Oh nice to know I've yet to play season 2..

• Advertisement
Advertisement