Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird stuck down a blocked up fireplace

Options
  • 10-06-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭

Hers a weird one for you.

Im in rented accommodation and on Saturday we heard a bit of flapping and a thud down our chimney in our bedroom. But then nothing until last night when it started to flap again at 11pm at night.

Once it got bright this morning the same thing again. So we have a bird in our fireplace that is blocked up with a tiny vent at the bottom plastered into the wall!

So 4 days later it must be on its last legs we emailed the land lord who said its too much bother and to just cover the vent to keep out the smell and hope it dies soon.

Anyone heard of this before? Where you able to get someone in to maybe put a rod down the chimney and get it out? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Maybe the ISPCA would be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Ive one flapping in mine at the moment, he should be dead by tomorrow! The smell will rise up the chimney and ill throw him out in a few days when he's well and truly dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If you can get a chimney brush up the vent then maybe you can get him to the top, other than that, get ready for a bit of a small and maybe maggots dropping out the vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

What's her name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Kildare wild life rescue would be good to contact to help you/bird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jimmi

Is your landlord Fred West?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

OP I could have written your exact post last year. I freaked out because I'm scared of birds. Landlord refused to help. Eventually my sister was able to remove the vent and put a sheet over the opening and the bird was freed. It was a little starling and he flew out the window. Can you still hear it? Is there anyway you can take the vent off? Poor bird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I'm afraid the vent is plastered to the wall so cant take it off.

Day 5 and it was still there this morning, But not so sure its a bird now as it seems to be more night active.

I looked up the RSPCA ( Im UK based) they said not much can be done as you would have to take down the wall which the land lord wont allow.

So looks like I'm in for a smell in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Make sure the landlord puts a cowl on flue to stop anymore birds going down and dying in there .
    It wouldn't have been the end of the world to chip away the plaster around the vent cover and take out the bird and patch it back up again after . I wouldn't have been able to sleep in the house knowing there was an animal dying in there , the landlord deserves an infestation of maggots for telling you to let it die in there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

moy83 wrote: »
    Make sure the landlord puts a cowl on flue to stop anymore birds going down and dying in there .
    It wouldn't have been the end of the world to chip away the plaster around the vent cover and take out the bird and patch it back up again after . I wouldn't have been able to sleep in the house knowing there was an animal dying in there , the landlord deserves an infestation of maggots for telling you to let it die in there :mad:

Agree.

Save the poor creature fat bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Rip the plaster off, put a light at the opening behind a piece of cardboard and wait for the bird to come out. They'll naturally go for the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If it distresses you then you take the cost of freeing the bird yourself.
    Personally I would not leave the bird in distress but if it was €100 I might not have it so. It really is an element of cost or the OP would have already done it but wanting the LL to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    If it distresses you then you take the cost of freeing the bird yourself.
    Personally I would not leave the bird in distress but if it was €100 I might not have it so. It really is an element of cost or the OP would have already done it but wanting the LL to pay.

You could chip out one of those vents with a screwdriver and hammer for nothing then wait until you had the money or till the LL fixes it for you .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Whats it really going to take - a drill, a hammer, and a bit of plaster board and a few screws ffs.

Think of it as a game, the bird is a Chilean miner.

Advertisement