Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picatinny rail

Options
  • 10-06-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

im looking for a picatinny rail for my cz 455 .17hmr. does any one know who stocks dip inc rails and will ship to ireland. I tryed dip inc but they dont ship, what other make can you recomend? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

eoin.d wrote: »
    im looking for a picatinny rail for my cz 455 .17hmr. does any one know who stocks dip inc rails and will ship to ireland. I tryed dip inc but they dont ship, what other make can you recomend? thanks

CZ 452, 453, 455 picatinny rail

DIP ink. used to ship but you need to e-mail then directly. Shipping was dear @$45

Other way was to get the product number for the exact rail your looking to buy from DIP ink. and then goto

http://kinneysshootingsupply.com/cz-accessories-c-141.html?osCsid=d16d3f1f1f14cff75cfd71c3849f1bf3

and find the product number. They used to export them out OK, post @€;10

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Chalkie11

I bought a dovetail to piccatinny rail for my cz455 17hmr!i didnt need it in the end cos i got diff mounts,where abouts are you based?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

thanks clivej will try them. cass i only seen one in for sale section and its 25moa, i was looking for 0 moa

Do you mind me asking why?

The 25 MOA one would save you dialing up on your scope to get zero. I have one on my .17 and it's 0 moa, but if i had the choice i'd take 25. As there is only 1/2" between 50 yards and 100 yards with a 100 yard zero i don't need to dial down only up.

The only drawback i can think of is if you don't need the 25 moa to get zero and the rail actually prevent you from getting a zero. Thing is no rail i have ever owned has ever been 100% on with it's implied MOA value. One was within 1 MOA, but some were so bad that when they said 20 moa i actually only got 14. Of course this isalso down to rifle/ammo, etc.

EDIT - just want to add i've nothing to do with the seller. IOW there is nothing in it for me to promote his item over buying from the net other than it's here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

cass i thought 25moa would only be useful for 500-600 yards + shooting . i didnt think it would suit a 17hmr

It can.

Put it this way. Get your rifle. What zero is on it (100 yards?). Mark the setting your elevation turret is at. Now dial the turret down until the scope "bottoms out" counting the clicks/moa as you dial.

Get the figure in clicks or MOA. Whatever this is, is the amount of adjustment you need to get your rifle zeroed at your chosen distance. If this is 25moa (100 clicks) or greater than 25 MOA then the rail will work. If the figure is less than 20 chances are a 25 MOA rail will leave you unable to get your chosen zero, meaning your rifle would, at a minimum, be zeroed higher than your chosen zero (120 yards for example).

Just to add to the above if the rail works for you then you have the majority of the adjustment of your scope left meaning you can shoot to greater distances. Actually you would be able to dial out further than the gun can accurately fire to.

I do this for most of my rifles. If the scope takes more than 10 -15 MOa to get on zero i buy a 10 - 30 MOA rail to claim back some of the scope adjustment.

that makes sense alright cass. the rail i seen in for sale section is 25moa but its a 3/8dovetail whersas i have a 11mm rail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have 15 moa rail on my 10/22. And 20 moa on my centerfire rifles.
    Better be looking at it than looking for it

• Advertisement

3/8" is 9.5mm. All CZ rimfire dovetails are 9-11mm.

My rail said the same on the outside and it works fine. You simply slide it on, tap it if necessary as it can be a little stiff, and then screw down the 6 grub screws which act like a lever than "pulls" the rail away from the dovetail and give a good solid base. As there is no recoil it only need hold the scope's weight which it does.

As Clivej said better to have it than look for it. If a 25 suits then go for it. It not then continue to look for 0 or even a 15.

got sorted with rail. thanks for all the help lads

Did ya try the click thing?

What did you go for in the end?

Went for a rail with 20 moa In the end. Havent had a chance to get out to set it up yet. Thanks for the advice cass

Advertisement