Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Leaving Cert AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE 2014-predictions,discussion,queries etc**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

Do you think pigs could come up as a big Q or just a part Q like in q1?
    Hoping for some sweet bacon tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

My Project was 100 pages...

I hope to god you mean the entire thing and not just the livestock section by itself :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Id love a full question on something biology related or tillage. A full question on barley please!

@Badwulf Yeah entire thing was 100 pages, about 50 pages of photos and 50 of words! Think 10,000ish words altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExpensiveClock

What score out of 100 did everyone get in the practical?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 halppme

What score out of 100 did everyone get in the practical?

How did you find out what you got in the practical??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 halppme

Also my project was about 50 pages, not much waffle straight to the point with a good layout & photos but some people in my class had over 200 pages eeeeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Colinted

halppme wrote: »
    How did you find out what you got in the practical??

Well your teacher marks it so he/she can tell you if they want although there not supposed to.....I got 21% out of 25% I think

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fudge dice

Id love a full question on something biology related or tillage. A full question on barley please!

@Badwulf Yeah entire thing was 100 pages, about 50 pages of photos and 50 of words! Think 10,000ish words altogether

I only had 40 pages on my project and I got 100

Colinted wrote: »
    Well your teacher marks it so he/she can tell you if they want although there not supposed to.....I got 21% out of 25% I think

How many pages did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Colinted

Badwulf wrote: »
    How many pages did you do?

80 altogether

Our grade was also decided by assessments we did in class on each topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

Dropping down to pass in the morning. Is the project still included in overall mark if i do pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Fudge dice wrote: »
    I only had 40 pages on my project and I got 100

This is why I hate teachers marking our own projects. There's no way to set a proper standard at all. Our teacher has been teaching for 20 odd years and he said that this year, he genuinely had the best projects he's ever had, yet said he'd never give anyone close to full marks. There's no way to keep it as fair and unbiased as with the full exam. While I get the interview is out to change that, they never actually bring projects up. I don't see why Ag gets special treatment and doesn't have its' project marked externally like every other subject.

Anyways on a lighter note, best of luck tomorrow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Our teacher has been teaching for 20 odd years and he said that this year, he genuinely had the best projects he's ever had, yet said he'd never give anyone close to full marks.
    The externs who come in do look at the projects too you know! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

The externs who come in do look at the projects too you know! ;)

Oh I know :P

But I just don't think it's right that it's a class based thing, one person can't be marked up and one down if they so deserve so. Can't understand why it's not marked like every other Leaving Cert project tbh.

Alas, ranting on boards won't get me anywhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But I just don't think it's right that it's a class based thing, one person can't be marked up and one down if they so deserve so.
    Nevertheless, if your teacher was impressed with the standard of the projects this year, as you say, yet is generally a tough marker, there is a definite possibility that the extern may have prodded his marks up a little.

You would be surprised how well an experienced extern can gauge the standard in a group (and the standard of individuals within that group) from quite a brief visit ... and in particular, they get a feel very quickly for whether a teacher / initial marker is inclined to be lavish or stingy with marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    Dropping down to pass in the morning. Is the project still included in overall mark if i do pass?

yes the project is marked at common level and is worth 25% at both higher and ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Very nice paper. Really happy with it. Did anyone else think question 9 was unusually easy this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

Beautiful paper!! Experiments only Q I didn't answer

Horrible paper. Unless I got around 60-70 marks for the folder I prob failed

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PRDY

What is the weight of a replacement heifer at yearling stage? I said 290kg, the answer isn't in our book. Its probably round 270kg now I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Beautiful paper!! Experiments only Q I didn't answer
    Same,I didn't study any of them that they asked :0.I studied enzyme catalase,flocculation,many soil ones as well.They didn't come last year that's why I was hoping to...
    Badwulf wrote: »
    Horrible paper. Unless I got around 60-70 marks for the folder I prob failed

Don't worry you will be alright,most of the time they set the papers in a way to make the students do well also they want more people to do the subject in the country.The failure rate for Ag is small.
    omara95 wrote: »
    Very nice paper. Really happy with it. Did anyone else think question 9 was unusually easy this year?

Indeed,Q 9 was one of the easiest I've seen,so glad with it.What's sub-soiling I didn't do that?
    PRDY wrote: »
    What is the weight of a replacement heifer at yearling stage? I said 290kg, the answer isn't in our book. Its probably round 270kg now I think about it.

280 kg,the whole beef chapter always bugged me so i didn't study it at all.Great that I could skip it.

On the whole It was a doable paper for me.Only thing was that my teacher at the start of the year told me that I don't need to know how to draw liver fluke or it's life cycle.He said that I only have to recognize the diagrams. ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Absolutely devastated. I put a lot of work into ag science over the last two years and then mess up on the day. I didn't get six short questions right and only got two Notifiable diseases. You know for the grassland management practices could you have said reseeding regularly, not grazing animals on the pasture and fertilizing the grass?

. You know for the grassland management practices could you have said reseeding regularly, not grazing animals on the pasture and fertilizing the grass?

Hope so, they were some of my points also!

I must have been the only one who did the experiment questions. I thought question 1 was pretty tricky in sone places (angiosperm??? ). Genetics question wasn't terrible, but the question on hay was very vague.

Hope so, they were some of my points also!

Thanks slightly reassured now! What did you say for possible reasons for a fodder crisis? I said weather and fuel costs. :confused:

Thanks slightly reassured now! What did you say for possible reasons for a fodder crisis? I said weather and fuel costs. :confused:

I said drought and very wet weather. Gave a good rant about how wet weather messes up everything!

I said drought and very wet weather. Gave a good rant about how wet weather messes up everything!

How'd you get on in the short questions? I did so bad in them and I was hoping to do class!

How'd you get on in the short questions? I did so bad in them and I was hoping to do class!

I answered 8 of them, didn't do the first one or the one on angiosperms. The protein one was okay, the notifiable disease, the oats, and a few others were okay. The one on cation exchange was weird because its a short question but I wrote a good paragraph for it!

I answered 8 of them, didn't do the first one or the one on angiosperms. The protein one was okay, the notifiable disease, the oats, and a few others were okay. The one on cation exchange was weird because its a short question but I wrote a good paragraph for it!

You definitely did way better than me then :(:o I am so annoyed that I put so much work in and it didn't even pay off. Probably failed Ag now :(

You definitely did way better than me then :(:o I am so annoyed that I put so much work in and it didn't even pay off. Probably failed Ag now :(

I wouldn't say you failed it, the marking schemes will be set so you get marks for any half valid points. They won't want too many people doing badly or else it'll look bad on them!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say you failed it, the marking schemes will be set so you get marks for any half valid points. They won't want too many people doing badly or else it'll look bad on them!

Hopefully! As arrogant as it sounds I don't deserve to fail. Out of all my subjects I put the most work into Ag!

Advertisement