Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 Science - Thu. June 12th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

I halved the diameter to get the radius. Used the circumference formula and then divided it by metres per second

• Registered Users Posts: 14 polkadot7

What was the general name for the liquid in the beaker in the distillation experiment?

Distillate

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DanielChester

ElmW13 wrote: »
    I halved the diameter to get the radius. Used the circumference formula and then divided it by metres per second

A formula wasn't needed. You were never given the diameter. You were given the radius for part (i) in order to calculate the work when the ferris wheel goes from the bottom to the top. Think about it logically. Bottom -> top is half a circle == radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

T=D÷S
    240÷.25
    960 secs
    16 mins

60×4=240

Anyone else get this

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Herrenvolk

Well that exam was ****, for biology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Herrenvolk

But this wasn't a maths paper now was it?

Bit harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

what was the hydroelectricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

But this wasn't a maths paper now was it?

Yes, obviously not.
    I'm just saying I didn't think you'd need the formula for circles in a Science exam. ;)

I'm not too bothered anyway, think I ruled out my chances for an A after the Physics section.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scrublord420

Liordi wrote: »
    Yes, obviously not.
    I'm just saying I didn't think you'd need the formula for circles in a Science exam. ;)

I'm not too bothered anyway, think I ruled out my chances for an A after the Physics section.

Physics was the part that most people were confident about

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jenbar09

Really?? I thought that part was the hardest. Biology was fine though.

• Advertisement

Ah, Bio & Chem have always been my favourite.
    I've always been a bit dodgy on Physics.

what was the hydroelectricity?

the sun evaporates the ocean water, and rains it on top of a moutain. then melts it so the water flows downstream, and that water will push the turbine that turnes it into energy

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chloee98

coolerboy wrote: »
    T=D÷S
    240÷.25
    960 secs
    16 mins

60×4=240

Anyone else get this

I got 16 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KarlF32

Pretty Easy Exam, got a bit stuck on Chemistry though. Predicting A/B :)

Can someone tell me what biofuel is please? I got stuck on that question about how the sun helps biofuel or something

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

That was the worst Science exam ever...the physics section was sooo weird. What did people say for the biofuel and hydroelectricity question?

Biology was grand enough though and Chemistry was okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yaEHya

Was the first question animal or plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Can someone tell me what biofuel is please? I got stuck on that question about how the sun helps biofuel or something

I think it's energy got from rotting plant materiel. Hydroelectricity is wave energy

For the ferris wheel, did it want us to calculate the work done bringing the person directly from base to top (a distance of 120 metres) or did it want us to calculate the work done bringing the person from the base to the top via going around half the ferris wheel (circle formula for radius 60 and then halving the answer)

I saw it as the latter personally

yaEHya wrote: »
    Was the first question animal or plant?

Plant because of the vacuoles

That was the worst Science exam ever...the physics section was sooo weird. What did people say for the biofuel and hydroelectricity question?

Biology was grand enough though and Chemistry was okay...

Hydroelectricity -the sun evaporates the ocean water, and rains it on top of a moutain. then melts it so the water flows downstream, and that water will push the turbine that turnes it into energy.
    Biomass→photosynthesis of plant requires the sun.

• Advertisement

Hydroelectricity -the sun evaporates the ocean water, and rains it on top of a moutain. then melts it so the water flows downstream, and that water will push the turbine that turnes it into energy.

Yes thanks i got the hydroelectricity one like that

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

I did the ferris wheel ones by doing the circumference. Think it took about 94 minutes to get around. I was delighted with myself and thought it was a nice question that requires a bit of thought; I even put down "Well played, SEC" on it, complimenting those who set the exam... Having second thoughts now seeing what other people did. I was sure that was how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Haha I don't think I got either of them...I just waffled on about the sun's power...:rolleyes:

On the bright side- I never have to do another Chemistry OR physics exam EVER!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

its basically plants that are grown and they take the oil from them like rapeseed oil!
    it was the sunlight was needed for the plants to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

What was the general name for the liquid in the beaker in the distillation experiment?

Distillate

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mjakes20

Surely they didn't intend for us to use the circumference formula to find out the distance? I decided to just take the distance as 120m as I thought they would indicate use of circumference by adding 'give your answer to 2 decimal places' or something of that sort. The answer that i got worked out quite nicely so I hope it was just an error on their part. I hope the marking scheme isn't too harsh, as so far I've identified my mistakes as I mixed up which muscles do what in antagonistic pairs, the colour of manganese dioxide, filtrate with distillate and the colours of the indicator with the acid and base for the titration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aoife012

What colour did the egg turn if protein was in it , and for the last question why was a ldr better that a normal bulb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Aoife012 wrote: »
    What colour did the egg turn if protein was in it , and for the last question why was a ldr better that a normal bulb?

Light blue-violet in copper sulfate solution :pac:

Aoife012 wrote: »
    ldr better that a normal bulb?

I said they lasted longer, not sure if that's correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Liordi wrote: »
    I said they lasted longer, not sure if that's correct.

Uses less current I think?

Advertisement