Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding London jobs!

Options
  • 11-06-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Has anyone got any good tips or experience of finding work in London? I am signed up to numerous job sites and seem to be getting absolutely nowhere.

Also, does anyone know of any good job centres to visit in person if I am over there? Is there any value in this or am I just going to be asked for a CV which will be put “on file”. I would rather just add my CV to their online databases without having to make the actual trip.

Any help welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you have any particular skills which would make them want to hire you, even though you live abroad currently?

If not, then what are you wanting to work as (so people can suggest agencies). If you want, we can transfer this to the London formum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1406 (report this post if you want it done).

Have you taken your address off you CV, and gotten yourself a +pre-pay 44 phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Vag

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at research type jobs in colleges as I am a psychology graduate (e.g. jobs.ac.uk, indeed.co.uk, nhs, reed.co.uk etc)

No, I haven't removed my Irish address from my CV, and I have not gotten an English mobile number yet. (I wonder where I might get +44 sim?) How important is it to do this? Any job I have applied to has mentioned their 'commitment to diversity' etc. I even rang one college to clarify the address issue - whether living in Ireland would influence my application in any way - and they assured me it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Vag wrote: »
    No, I haven't removed my Irish address from my CV, and I have not gotten an English mobile number yet. (I wonder where I might get +44 sim?) How important is it to do this? Any job I have applied to has mentioned their 'commitment to diversity' etc. I even rang one college to clarify the address issue - whether living in Ireland would influence my application in any way - and they assured me it wouldn't.

It's probably far less of an issue for the types of jobs you're applying for, than it would be for more day-to-day types of jobs.

As to where to get a +44 SIM ... ahh, Tesco in Belfast or indeed anywhere across the border. Or a phone shop if you don't want a cheap-sounding number ... dunno how much of an issue that is in English eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at research type jobs in colleges as I am a psychology graduate (e.g. jobs.ac.uk, indeed.co.uk, nhs, reed.co.uk etc)

I'd say the whole UK/Irish address thing (which was discussed ad nauseum in another thread) couldn't be less of an issue here. With academic research, you go wherever your particular skills/areas of expertise are in demand. In fact, they'd probably welcome an 'outsiders' perspective for this type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

if you're applying to the NHS, you will need to have a criminal record background check done. that would instantly weigh against you as it can take months to arrange that, even longer for someone outside the country. these things can get 'lost' easily too between the garda and police.

• Advertisement

Fair point about the NHS and the background checks. Must keep that in mind. Could add on another few months to the search. But may not be as much of an issue if I'm working in research and not with patients? Which is what I want.

Any thoughts on visiting job centres vs. uploading CV's to recruiters? I was told that unless you are on benefits, there is not much point in visiting job centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Fair point about the NHS and the background checks. Must keep that in mind. Could add on another few months to the search. But may not be as much of an issue if I'm working in research and not with patients? Which is what I want.

Any thoughts on visiting job centres vs. uploading CV's to recruiters? I was told that unless you are on benefits, there is not much point in visiting job centres?

I'd view the job centre as a last resort. You should really be focusing on contacting the psychology departments of major universities, finding out whether they're recruiting at the moment or are likely to be in the near future, and if they have any particular projects underway or coming up that would be a good fit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I moved to London a few years back as a psychology graduate and found it hard to know where to look for jobs for a while! I was briefly on the dole and FYI job centres won't have anything research related. I've gone down the clinical route myself- is research where your main interest is? If so I'd recommend you look at the Guardian jobs website: http://jobs.theguardian.com.

It has a vast array of jobs in charities, government bodies etc that aren't straight research but would be a great way to build relevant skills such as networking, writing for a particular audience, bidding for projects and so on. With psychology-type jobs it can take a while to get something relevant, as competition is high. Working in a job with transferable skills would add to your CV and could be more directly relevant if you find something related to public health or social policy.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

if you're applying to the NHS, you will need to have a criminal record background check done. that would instantly weigh against you as it can take months to arrange that, even longer for someone outside the country. these things can get 'lost' easily too between the garda and police.

It is a actually a lot quicker than you think.. Unlike the Irish Garsa clearance forms! There are two types, standard and enhanced: the latter being required by most agencies if there will be direct contact with vulnerable people. I had m enhanced one renewed last month and it took a fortnight; my initial ones (each agency has to do one) took 3-5 weeks (as they had to check with Irish records). It used to be called CRB check, now it is DBS, and you get a tracking number so you can keep an eye in the progress. Bear in mind you cannot get one yourself, it needs to be an employer but that's normal here.

Thanks all, for the replies and tips. Yes I am focusing on the research side where possible and looking into the different universities research departments. @Semele - It is great to hear of someone's experience who was in a similar position, and I agree, I think the Guardian is likely to be a good resource. Even regarding government and charity jobs you mention.

Also, I did not know that there were different types of checks so that is good to know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement