Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Campus in second year

Options
  • 11-06-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Can any of you kind folks enlighten me as to the allocation of places on campus for non first years? I remember thinking that first years got a very large preference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

www. ucd .ie / residences / how-to-book-a-room / allocation-policy /

There are 275 places for continuing years that are not in their final year.

I'm a new user so it's not letting me post the link properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

Much obliged Pacni, Boards never fails to throw up useful info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Much obliged Pacni, Boards never fails to throw up useful info

Check your student mail too. There was an email sent yesterday about a new process for continuing students.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Any final years/postgrads get any offers? Afraid to leave the house in case I get an email!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

Any final years/postgrads get any offers? Afraid to leave the house in case I get an email!

Well you're not going to be leaving the house until next Wednesday if you do that!

The emails won't be processed until next Wednesday so you will not know your place on the waiting list until then. Offers will then be sent out from 16.00 onwards that afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

pacni wrote: »
    Well you're not going to be leaving the house until next Wednesday if you do that!

The emails won't be processed until next Wednesday so you will not know your place on the waiting list until then. Offers will then be sent out from 16.00 onwards that afternoon.

Haha, cheers! I must've misread it and thought it was today at four.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Y2JB

All we had to do was send our student number to the email address right? I got that automated response but I only sent mine at 9:35 because I was working late and slept my alarm. I hope I get something :(

I seem to have been placed on the senior list instead of continuing years list, Im number 132 so hopefully the list mix up wont fcuk things up

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Anyone know what the story with today's offers is?
    Sisweb says "Offers for Accommodation have been temporarily suspended " atm

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Caireann

I was due an offer tomorrow so I emailed to ask if I now have to take work off on Monday. I got back this reply 'We have temporarily suspended offers for accommodation and you will not be able to view your position on the waiting list. Please continue to monitor our website for updated information.' Which is basically no help. I'm really worried about this. Did anybody in the range of 50-100 get an offer today?

• Advertisement

I was 88 yesterday, then 38 after they sent out yesterday's offers and I haven't got an offer today

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hyper_on_water

I haven't heard anything... can't even get through on the phone... I was 281, then down to 231 (in theory), so I'm just outside the allocation and keeping my fingers crossed.

Eugh like how hard is it to get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

Its always been bad but this year is a way bigger mess than previous years. I know of people who didn't even apply that got a place on the waiting list.....

Hopefully that's what they're editing out of the system right now. That's so unfair if that has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamH95

Between 50-100, didn't get an offer. Emailed Residences told me they wouldn't be sending out emails today.

EDIT : So unless I'm mistaken it looks liker hyper_on_water has the same number on the waiting list as one of my friends. So there's duplicates of numbers I guess!

AdamH95 wrote: »
    Between 50-100, didn't get an offer. Emailed Residences told me they wouldn't be sending out emails today.

EDIT : So unless I'm mistaken it looks liker hyper_on_water has the same number on the waiting list as one of my friends. So there's duplicates of numbers I guess!

I hope everything is back on track tomorrow. They should really update their site more with this kind of information. If I thought I was getting an offer today and they only said temporarily suspended I would keep checking all day.

Are you sure your friend and hyper_on_water are on the same list? Both continuing undergrads?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamH95

I PM'ed her and yeah, she's a continuing undergraduate.

Two people I know have the same number as well theres probably loads of that after happening.

*words directed at UCD Res that would swiftly have me banned from this forum*

Its just a fiasco. I don't know what type of system would work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭En

Yeah it's a total mess... Some girl I bumped into over the weekend had the EXACT same number on the waiting list as someone in Galway.

A friend rang up residences, they said this was due to some people putting in other people's student numbers to make sure less legitimate people were on the waiting list so they'd be prioritized..

En wrote: »
    some people putting in other people's student numbers to make sure less legitimate people were on the waiting list so they'd be prioritized..

That's pretty clever actually

Wait they put multiple student numbers in one email or sent out multiple emails?

That's pretty clever actually

It's less clever of them and more dumb of the people in charge of residences.

I mean what kind of a genius draws up a system whereby you can't verify whether someone who sends an email actually corresponds to the student number they've entered?

Allowing any non @ucd.ie emails in the first place is the stupidest thing i've heard of [EDIT: Foreign postgraduates weren't given access to @ucd.ie email addresses, so they had to allow for non ucd.ie emails]- there are plenty of anonymous throwaway email providers (guerillamail, sharklazers, for example) that would be perfect for trolling the system and entering a list of random student numbers into the waiting list - and there would be no way of figuring out who did it.

And that's just the people with malicious intent.. You could have someone technologically illiterate or just some clutz who puts in the wrong student number in the subject field BY ACCIDENT (we all know someone like that), resulting in the same problems that would be caused by those who were purposefully obstructing the system, albeit maybe to a lesser degree.

No verification required whatsoever.

All fault lies with UCD - anyone could have seen this coming, much more so someone who's paid annually to construct these systems in the first place. Server load issues like the last couple of years is acceptable - it's beyond the control of some tech administrator - but something as silly as allowing the sending infinite application emails at some fixed time in the morning with no way of knowing whether the person who sent them was the person who was applying is extremely dumb, and even worse, obviously exploitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 konks

It's less clever of them and more dumb of the people in charge of residences.

I mean what kind of a genius draws up a system whereby you can't verify whether someone who sends an email actually corresponds to the student number they've entered?

Allowing any non @ucd.ie emails in the first place is the stupidest thing i've heard of - there are plenty of anonymous throwaway email providers (guerillamail, sharklazers, for example) that would be perfect for trolling the system and entering a list of random student numbers into the waiting list - and there would be no way of figuring out who did it.

And that's just the people with malicious intent.. You could have someone technologically illiterate or just some clutz who puts in the wrong student number in the subject field BY ACCIDENT (we all know someone like that), resulting in the same problems that would be caused by those who were purposefully obstructing the system, albeit maybe to a lesser degree.

All fault lies with UCD - anyone could have seen this coming, much more so someone who's paid annually to construct these systems in the first place. Server load issues like the last couple of years is acceptable - it's beyond the control of some tech administrator - but something as silly as allowing the sending infinite application emails at some fixed time in the morning with no way of knowing whether the person who sent them was the person who was applying is extremely dumb, and even worse, obviously exploitable.

I'm a postgrade coming over from the US for this coming year and they aren't giving us access to @ucd.ie addresses till august so based on this system they had to allow non for some of us.

konks wrote: »
    I'm a postgrade coming over from the US for this coming year and they aren't giving us access to @ucd.ie addresses till august so based on this system they had to allow non for some of us.

That sounds reasonable - did they prompt you to verify who you were at any point during the accommodation application ?

That sounds reasonable - did they prompt you to verify who you were at any point during the accommodation application ?

Yes, it had to match the email in my sisweb account.

Wonderful.

Due to technical issues experienced with the University Service Provider we have temporarily suspended offers to Continuing and Senior categories until the issue is resolved.

IT services are working to rectify the issues and this may impact on the wait lists currently in place.

We apologise for any inconvenience and will communicate directly with students on the waitlist by email over the coming days to give further feedback.

We will be posting an update on this website by 12 noon on Wednesday the 25th June 2014

The process of determining the students order on the waiting list did not correspond with the information on the email. A friend and I applied at the exact same time (09:00:03) however I placed at 132 and she placed at 766! On calling the office she was told that the student numbers were pulled at random from the inbox as they came in rather than verifying the time of sending with Google!

We are expected to shell out so much for this sh1te service from Res year after year!

• Advertisement

I think google can only timestamp them to sixtieths of a second which isn't much good given the volume of emails that they'd get even in the 1st minute. Mine was received at 9:00:01, literally as close to 9:00 as possible and I was over 300 on the list yesterday.

Advertisement