Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The O&O 2014 World Cup Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We have a few days to rest up now and get my lads match fit, they did us proud. I told yiz that Dunphy knows nothin', he said his money is on Holland....and as we all know now thanks to martinn, there is no such country! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Well done Jellybaby. See you at the next match.

Thankfully I don't have a team to mind like you (according to the Rooster anyway). Apparently I just have Messi, ah well I'll just leave him to his own devices and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Red Hare wrote: »
    Mr Hare and I so far have watched;
    Clare V Wexford
    Argentina V Belgium
    Tipp V Galway
    and now we are going to watch ;
    Holland V Costa Rica
    :eek:

But but but but....why????

We have several dozen TV zappers here - if you leave two together for a while, they breed. I could send you a boxfull - one of them is bound to work your telly.

And on top of that, Clare, Wexford, Tipperary and Galway aren't even playing in the World Cup. Why would you watch them at a time like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Well Mr Hare is from Wexford so we had to watch them play Clare and I am from Tipp so we had to watch them beat Galway! Sky Sports had the Tipp match but we were able to watch it on the laptop ( now there's dedication!).

Now we both live in Dublin so we have to tune in today to see the Dubs beat Kilkenny :P

• Advertisement

Well Mr Hare is from Wexford so we had to watch them play Clare

I am from Tipp so we had to watch them beat Galway!

Now we both live in Dublin so we have to tune in today to see the Dubs beat Kilkenny :P

No, sorry, I'm a bit slow but I still don't get it. Could you explain it slowly for me?

"From" as in your respective mothers happened to be in those counties at the conclusions of their pregnancies?

"Had to watch"? No, don't get that bit a tall a tall!

My son gets all happy if a soccer team from the north of England wins anything!!! He's never even been there and no player on the team is from the area. Most of the players are not even British!!! Can't get that!

Have you relatives or friends playing on any of these county teams? Could I claim credit if, say, Lehtrum won d'Awww Loyurland Foynul because "I've been there"?
    If Lehtrum get bet in deh Foynul, could I expect fierce slagging and accusations of defectiveness from family, friends and colleagues because "you've been there"?

Anyway, is it over yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now Brens you are just being contrary - did you not see the little sticky out tongue at the end? As for whether its over yet, well....er, is it over yet?

:-)

Is it over yet ?
    - well the semi finals are on Tuesday and Wednesday and the final is on next Sunday 13th! Yeez will both just have to watch the final! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

OK, in response to the various cries of '' is it over yet '', mainly from BrensBrenz, the following is a brief description of where we are.

FIFA, invited 32 Countries to Brazil, to have a kickaround at football.

They were arranged into 8 groups of 4, who played each other, the best 2, got to stay on the others were told to feck off home.

So now we had 16,

So 8 games, producing 4 winners, ( 4 feck off home ).

That's where we are now.
    So later this week, on the 8th, Brazil will play Germany,
    and
    on the 9th,
    Holland, ( who don't exist ) will play Argentina.

The Two Winners, will then play a match called the Final, on 13th.

However Paddy Power, demand a match to decide who came 3rd and 4th, so the losers of the above matches on the 8th and 9th, get to play another match on the 12th.

Got It,

For those of you, who have taken to watch, Dublin, Wexford, Clare and Tipperary, please note this is a Completely Different Competition, of which I know nothing, so you are following at your own discretion and not covered by the Terms and Conditions of this Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

martinn123 wrote: »
    So now we had 16,

So 8 games, producing 4 winners, ( 4 feck off home ).
    Now now, don't be trying to muddy the waters....or else get the old calculator out :D

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Now now, don't be trying to muddy the waters....or else get the old calculator out :D

As you know, there is a deliberate error, in each of my explanatory posts, the real trick is to find them all.

As you know, there is a deliberate error, in each of my explanatory posts, the real trick is to find them all.
    FYP :p

looksee wrote: »
    Now Brens you are just being contrary:-)

Fair dues, looksee! You know me so well! But the description I have become most accustomed to is "fequin' cranky oul b@$t@rd". Feel free!
    OK, in response to the various cries of '' is it over yet '', mainly from BrensBenz, the following is a brief description of where we are.

The Two Winners, will then play a match called the Final, on 13th.

Many thanks for the progress report, Martin, but, once again, Fate (God bless it) has dealt me a perfect hand for 13th:
    My only begotten children are organising a top secret barbie for their grumpy Daddy next Sunday, for the significant birthday previously mentioned. As my grandson will attend, there will be no fuhbullin' or related chatter. Conversational topics will concentrate on just how a "fequin' cranky oul b@$t@rd" like me can possibly be in any way related to the pleasantest, happiest, smiliest, giggliest little chap on Earth. And, once engaged in the exploration of this quandary, the attendees will lose all interest in any fuhbullin' match in the pursuit of a explanation.

However, sometime before sunset, I will resolve the issue, to everyone's agreement and satisfaction with "he gets it from his Grannie!"

So, first Semi Final tonight, second one tomorrow,

Everyone ready?.

Guten Abend Herren und Damen!

I hope you are all looking forward to tonights fussball - I certainly am. Brasil V Germany has all the makings of a real classic. Of course I hope Germany win but equally I hope its a good match.

Viva la Deutschland!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Oh dear.... Who is supporting Brazil?

Good grief Red Hare what sort of pep talk did you give your team?????

You obviously put a little something in their breakfast this morning:D

Ramette wrote: »
    Oh dear.... Who is supporting Brazil?

E'm let me think...............................Yes it's Muffler.

You can come out from behind the sofa now Muffler, there's a little break for you;)

While things are looking on the up for Germany I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil gets back into it in the second half.

• Advertisement

Afraid, Muffler has been hit for 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

While things are looking on the up for Germany I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil gets back into it in the second half.

Not sure what you might mean by getting back into it? Finding the way back to the dressing room?

This has to be the worst ever result for them.

I had a hectic day today and was pretty exhausted this evening. Sat down to watch the match and promptly fell asleep. Woke up to find Germany up 5-0, and before I could get some focus into my eyes, they got a 6th. Wow! And I've missed most of it, damn!

Muffler, to cheer you up,

this is for you............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

wow, what an incredible result

muffler lays low :o

Roll on tomorrow night!!!!!!

Hope Holland don't do the same to my poor little boy Messi:P

Best of luck Jellybaby.

I will see the match but unfortunately will have no computer access so youse won't be hearing from me tomorrow.

Well Holland aren't playing (y'see, a little education goes a long way!). But I think Netherlands will have a fair chance of winning. :)

Again, thanks to my analytical head and years of observation, I KNOW and can now reveal WHY Deutschland demolished Brazil: When they score, they don't jump all over and swing out of the scorer and each other, wasting time, sapping energy, risking injury and STDs. Just a happy but gentlemanly Teutonic pat to the chest or shoulder and then......back to business!

Feel free to pass this advise on to your teams. You're welcome.

• Advertisement

That's the way real men used to play football! That all went out when the celebrity footballers came in!

Advertisement