Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraceptive pill for dog

• 11-06-2014 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a contraceptive pill that can be given to a bitch to prevent heat/prevent pregnancy during heat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why don't you get the dog neutered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why don't you get the dog neutered?

Its a long and complicated story. Thats not an option right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ok, plenty information in this link but the pill will have side effects.
    http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Birth_Control_Pills_for_Dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm pretty sure that you can get hormone injections for dogs to prevent them getting into heat. Your best bet would be to discuss it with your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There is an injection you can give them but I haven't heard any good reports about it, only negative affects. I know people who have given them to their dog and they had problems with coming into season again after it.
    So not sure if I'd recommend it.

Is there a reason you don't want her having a season? Maybe there is another option for you?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the advice and links :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I have a friend who intended to breed his boxer who administered this injection on his vets advice she never came back in heat properly hence she was never bred

so based on that experience I certainly would never go down that road

jimf wrote: »
    I have a friend who intended to breed his boxer who administered this injection on his vets advice she never came back in heat properly hence she was never bred

so based on that experience I certainly would never go down that road

Was that the only side effect? Thanks for info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Was that the only side effect? Thanks for info

that I am aware of yes

but I suppose you are really interfering with the whole heat cycle of the bitch and who knows what other side effects are involved

I do know my vet told me once he hated administering the morning after injection to bitches who may have had an unplanned mating in his opinion there was an increased chance of her developing pyometra in the future

jimf wrote: »
    that I am aware of yes

but I suppose you are really interfering with the whole heat cycle of the bitch and who knows what other side effects are involved

I do know my vet told me once he hated administering the morning after injection to bitches who may have had an unplanned mating in his opinion there was an increased chance of her developing pyometra in the future

Good point. Thats the last thing she needs.

• Advertisement

Called our own vet and he doesn't do it. Twas as if I'd asked if they could lobotomise her :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why are you actually looking to give her the injection? Why do you not want her to have a season?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

It is possible to give injections to stop dogs an injection to stop them coming in heat.....but there is a very high chance of complications so most vets are reluctant to use it.

It is not particularly suitable for dogs that are to be used for breeding in the future as the changes in hormonal balance sometimes leave the bitches infertile or with unusual seasons.

It hughly increases the chances of pyometras.

The only bitch we use it for in our practice is a highly aggressive elderly terrier whos owner understands the risks.In this case it has already been decided that if its a case of the dog getting pyo/needing admitance to the hospital...then she will be pts(yes she is that aggressive and terrified that this is the kindest option)She was never spayed due to temperment...and obviously never bred from!

Why do you need the pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

OP, is this for your dog or your neighbour's dog?

Advertisement