Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xray to confirm pregnancy in dog?

• 11-06-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone had ever heard of giving an x-ray to confirm pregnancy in a dog? I certainly haven't.

A person here in work reckons their vet said they can x-ray if the dog is further than 42 days. They said it would be cheaper than a scan because a scan is €60 and x-ray is €40.

I rang my own vet to check this. They said they wouldn't x-ray a dog as any dog being xrayed should be put under sedation and they don't sedate a dog unless they absolutely have to. They said it sounds like this vet plans to try and x-ray the dog by holding her down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Surely it wouldn't be healthy for the puppies to be exposed to the X-ray radiation, and also the sedation too, unless there is no other option??

Sounds very very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Magenta wrote: »
    Surely it wouldn't be healthy for the puppies to be exposed to the X-ray radiation, and also the sedation too, unless there is no other option??

Sounds very very strange.

From what I understand the plan is to not sedate the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, plenty of people X-ray to confirm pregnancy as it shows exactly how many pups are in there so the breeder knows how many pups she will give birth to and know when she's finished whelping.

andreac wrote: »
    Yes, plenty of people X-ray to confirm pregnancy as it shows exactly how many pups are in there so the breeder knows how many pups she will give birth to and know when she's finished whelping.

And is the dog sedated or left awake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm not actually sure if they are sedated or not. I have a feeling they aren't but you would need the dog to be able to be fully relaxed and not moving while they are doing it if not sedated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Xray scans are common practice once the dog is late enough in the pregnancy (usually after day 45-50, some vets will do it a bit earlier but the pups bones need to be calcified to be seen on the xray). This is usually done once in the pregnancy, to evaluate the pups (number, over/under sized etc.). Bitches usually do not need to be sedated, but some may need to be. It's quick and easy, and causes very little stress to the bitch.

Xray scans are common practice once the dog is late enough in the pregnancy (usually after day 45-50, some vets will do it a bit earlier but the pups bones need to be calcified to be seen on the xray). This is usually done once in the pregnancy, to evaluate the pups (number, over/under sized etc.). Bitches usually do not need to be sedated, but some may need to be. It's quick and easy, and causes very little stress to the bitch.

Yes, my work friend was told the dog had to be over 42 days. My own vet confirm pregnancy by a blood test but I'm surprised they weren't aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Lemlin wrote: »
    I rang my own vet to check this. They said they wouldn't x-ray a dog as any dog being xrayed should be put under sedation and they don't sedate a dog unless they absolutely have to. They said it sounds like this vet plans to try and x-ray the dog by holding her down.

In relation to x-rays in general, my previous vets would sedate a dog for all x-rays. So my poor old dog had to be sedated on a few different occasions. (Added to cost too.)

Another time I toke the same dog to a consultant in Dublin and he was able to do a heart scan and x-rays without sedation.

I have since switched to a new vet and again they did x-rays on the same dog without sedation.

(Sedation for keeping a dog still is one reason but I also got the impression that it would prevent the dog turning on the vet.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

odckdo wrote: »
    In relation to x-rays in general, my previous vets would sedate a dog for all x-rays. So my poor old dog had to be sedated on a few different occasions. (Added to cost too.)

Another time I toke the same dog to a consultant in Dublin and he was able to do a heart scan and x-rays without sedation.

I have since switched to a new vet and again they did x-rays on the same dog without sedation.

(Sedation for keeping a dog still is one reason but I also got the impression that it would prevent the dog turning on the vet.)

It's actually very dangerous to hold a dog down while taking an x ray, some more old school vets still do it but prolonged exposure to radiation over a vet's (or indeed nurse's) life can lead to infertility and cancer. Even while wearing lead lined gowns and such under no circumstances should anybody be holding a dog down while x rays are being taken. You can't tie down a conscious animal either in case they jumped off the table. So unless the dog is very calm and willing to lie still they really have to be sedated, it's not laziness or money grabbing on the vet's part.

An x ray is more accurate than an ultrasound for estimating the number of pups. Is the bitch by any chance a breed prone to whelping problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Zapperzy wrote: »
    It's actually very dangerous to hold a dog down while taking an x ray, some more old school vets still do it but prolonged exposure to radiation over a vet's (or indeed nurse's) life can lead to infertility and cancer. Even while wearing lead lined gowns and such under no circumstances should anybody be holding a dog down while x rays are being taken. You can't tie down a conscious animal either in case they jumped off the table. So unless the dog is very calm and willing to lie still they really have to be sedated, it's not laziness or money grabbing on the vet's part.

As I was saying with my old vets, any x-ray meant sedation.

2 years ago I went to a consultant in Dublin and she did a heart scan without a sedation. She did say though the next time he would have to be sedated as he was nervous and was moving a bit on the table.

The next time it just so happened I went to a different consultant (experienced and a very good vet). I mentioned about getting my dog sedated first. When I came back he told me he did the heart scan and x-rays without sedation. His decision. He said my dog was very placid.

When I changed my regular vets recently, they also did x-rays. Again they said that they didn't need to do sedation and that my dog was wagging his tail the whole time.

From my perspective if the policy of a clinic is to sedate in certain circumstances, well then it is fine by me. But the examples above show 2 clinics who decided not to. As my dog is old I would like to avoid sedation where possible though.

In your post I can appreciate the dangers you mentioned. I wonder why those clinics toke such a risk then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement