Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking coastline from Blackrock to Seapoint

Options
  • 11-06-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Is it possible to follow the coastline from Blackrock Dart to Seapoint Dart station. Looking at the map it seems there is a path as far as the station and then a bridge over the platform that leads to the rear of Ardenza Terrace, but it is not clear if you can regain access to the road at this point?

Edit: I can't post a link to the map as I am a new user but the bridge at Seapoint is at 53.299197, -6.166145

Advice welcomed!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

No, its not possible, that land is in private ownership.

Coming from Seapoint, you have to cross over the line using the pedestrian bridge at the end of Brighton vale onto Seapoint Avenue. You can then get back to the seafront via Idron Terrace/Bath Place

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JJ Churchill

Cheers Homer911 - that's a shame as there is the basis of a great walk along the SCD coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Its entirely possible to walk on the beach at low tide especially at spring tides (full moon, new moon). Just make sure you get your times right and bring wellingtons.

Thank you - I just found s2s DOT ie - apparently a cycle (and I presume foot) path is being planned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Thank you - I just found s2s DOT ie - apparently a cycle (and I presume foot) path is being planned

Dont hold your breath.

Planned for last 20 years..

• Advertisement

:-) Usual story then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Dont hold your breath.

Planned for last 20 years..

Plus 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Well, word is that the northen end of the path (Sandymount-ish to Clontarf-ish) is to happen 'soon'. The southern end has some slight environmental impact issues, which is a real pity as this has the potential to be a great resource.

As noted above, you can't cross the bridge at Ardenza, but you can walk past it to the Martello Tower and either keep walking until you get to Salthill station or else double back on the road and go to Seapoint Station.

The walk is quite nice and I've done it many times. You just really have to time it well or else you may end up wading. You won't drown (unless you are very, very short) so the worst that should happen is that your shins get wet. This is all assuming you start when the tide is going out or else a long way out.

To be safer you could start at the Seapoint end - if the water is low enough there then you will be fine. By the time you get towards Blackrock there is ample scope for climbing up on the railway wall and being a couple of feet above the sea.

DLR have a great document which covers all the interesting bits & bobs you pass along that route - slipways used for shipping stone used in the railway, etc . . . I can't remember what it's called, but I'll see if I can find it.

z

Tide is out - I'm about to walk from Seapoint to Sandymount on the sand. I'll let you know how it goes.

I did Seapoint to Blackrock yesterday between in about 20-30 minutes. If you are staying on the sand then you will definitely have a small bit of wading to do at the point that the Maretimo stream emerges (just below Maretimo, funny enough). The wading yesterday was no more than ankle deep. Alternatively a bit of clambering on the sea wall will keep you dry.

From memory, the stream which comes out at the Texaco just on the Blackrock side of Merrion Gates shouldn't be much deeper.

z

I only got as far as Booterstown before the heat & exhaustion got to me . . .

See the attached photos for details of the trickiest bit & general scenery.

The trickiest bit is where a stream comes out from underneath Blackrock College. 'sfunny, I don't remember reading about one there, but it's definitely there. You can see that the passage through the sea wall is quite high and there's not much wall left so you have to climb quite high if you want to avoid the stream itself.

Alternatively, you can go out wide across the beach - see second photo for an idea of what it's like.

z

• Advertisement

It was a very hot day for walking yesterday!! Thanks for the info!

Advertisement