Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about reporting animal cruelty

• 11-06-2014 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

If someone keeps their dog chained in a yard 24/7 but it has a kennel and gets food, would a welfare society entertain a report?

*same people also allowed dog to have pups last year, and pups escaped from kennel, mother could not go after them as chained and pups died outside in the cold.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is the dog ever let off the chain or even played with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Is the dog ever let off the chain or even played with?

Not by them.

They will allow me to take her out so when I can (usually twice a week as I have a plethora of pets myself) I will take her to the forest for a run and give her some cuddles etc. It's never enough though, and I hate bringing her back :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well then it would fall under neglect and you should file a report. They will take it seriously and have a word with the owner. If it doesnt change then report them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

TBH OP I have called the ISPCA many times over similar situation and they can do NOTHING… if the dog has access to food, water and shelter then that’s it according to Irish law

it’s a disgrace but it true

Neglect only fails under the no shelter no food thing , not emotional neglect….

it’s a sad state of affairs in Ireland for dogs at this time.

:mad:

cocker5 wrote: »
    TBH OP I have called the ISPCA many times over similar situation and they can do NOTHING… if the dog has access to food, water and shelter then that’s it according to Irish law

Sadly thats what I suspected. I'm going to have to figure something out. I cant stand by and be complicit in this, and keep the head down to keep in with the neighbours. That typically Irish stance annoys me so much - no wonder we have mass graves and a paedophile epidemic - we are far too concerned with keeping the bibs clean. Rabble rabble sorry!

• Advertisement

The other concern of course is if the authorities half did something. you know like if they call out to inspect and then leave again. People like that could hurt a dog in temper if you p1ss them off too! She ran into her kennel and cowered the other day when I was bringing her back when Mr Gobsh1te came to talk to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Have you talked to them about your concerns, perhaps see will they surrender the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If the dog appears in good health and has food and shelter there is nothing legally any spca can do to forcibly seize the dog (unless perhaps the dog was on an extremely short chain which was causing suffering?).

However it is still worth phoning the spca that covers your area and expressing your concerns, as they may offer to pay the owners a visit and speak to them about the dogs welfare. I have seen from the ISPCAs website a good few dogs rescued from similar situations as the one you describe, with the ISPCA managing to secure voluntarily surrender of the dog. So I would definitely make a phone call.

maggiepip wrote: »
    If the dog appears in good health and has food and shelter there is nothing legally any spca can do to forcibly seize the dog (unless perhaps the dog was on an extremely short chain which was causing suffering?).

However it is still worth phoning the spca that covers your area and expressing your concerns, as they may offer to pay the owners a visit and speak to them about the dogs welfare. I have seen from the ISPCAs website a good few dogs rescued from similar situations as the one you describe, with the ISPCA managing to secure voluntarily surrender of the dog. So I would definitely make a phone call.

But you dont think there might be a risk that they'd get p1ssed off and take it out on the dog, and maybe stop me from being able to take her out at all? She's just a barking machine for them. All they want is something that barks when anyone comes into the yard. I thought about taking her before and rehoming her somewhere far away, but they'd just replace her with another poor sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Someone needs to have a chat to these people :mad:

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    But you dont think there might be a risk that they'd get p1ssed off and take it out on the dog, and maybe stop me from being able to take her out at all? She's just a barking machine for them. All they want is something that barks when anyone comes into the yard. I thought about taking her before and rehoming her somewhere far away, but they'd just replace her with another poor sod.

Its a fair point that if they suspected you of reporting them they could well stop you walking her and her situation only get worse. Have you tried talking to them seriously about her welfare? If you feel theres absolutely no way they will surrender her voluntarily (perhaps you could quiz them a bit on that?) then maybe its best that you just keep doing what you're doing. Youre very good to give her your time and affection, at least you're adding a little happiness to her life.

Its a fair point that if they suspected you of reporting them they could well stop you walking her and her situation only get worse. Have you tried talking to them seriously about her welfare? If you feel theres absolutely no way they will surrender her voluntarily (perhaps you could quiz them a bit on that?) then maybe its best that you just keep doing what you're doing. Youre very good to give her your time and affection, at least you're adding a little happiness to her life.

I try to be guided soley by whats best for her. These people are hard to get through to. They dont actually believe they are doing anything wrong, which is the biggest problem. They are farmers. They see animals as functional "beasts" and have no empathy for them. A fellow neiighbour offered to have their cat spayed, and they agreed. She brought to cat to be done and was told the cat had FIV and was suffering, had to be pts. She had already had kiitens. Brought them to be spayed - they were too malnourished to be done. They have since had kittens themselves even though they are still tiny :(

I plan on having all the cats trapped, tested, vacc'd and spayed once I can get everything organised but biggest priority now is the dog. I manage to get her out twice a week, another neighbour takes her out twice also. Have put bedding and blankets into her kennel and she gets proper food on the four days she is out, but its never enough and I dont think I can leave her there her whole life. It's misery upon misery there.

I've always been afraid to step on their toes in case they ban me completely. Mrs Gobsh1te is ok but Mr Gobsh1te is a nasty arrogant man, and Gobsh1te junior is even worse if he thinks someone might be interfering with mammy and daddy gobsh1te :(

I know where you're coming from, Ive encountered people exactly like that. But between yourself and the other person managing to get her out 4 days a week thats a huge benefit for the dog. Unfortunately there are many dogs out there on chains who wouldn't even have that much, so at least theres a positive to a sad situation. You never know maybe sometime in the future you just may find a way to get through to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP she's getting four nice walks a week, nice food four days a week and you've put blankets down for her. You shouldn't have to do all this but you're so good for doing it. You've already made her life so much better than it would have been. While 4 nice days a week isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination, it's better than it could be and you should take some comfort in that.

I know where you're coming from, Ive encountered people exactly like that. But between yourself and the other person managing to get her out 4 days a week thats a huge benefit for the dog. Unfortunately there are many dogs out there on chains who wouldn't even have that much, so at least theres a positive to a sad situation. You never know maybe sometime in the future you just may find a way to get through to them.
    Whispered wrote: »
    OP she's getting four nice walks a week, nice food four days a week and you've put blankets down for her. You shouldn't have to do all this but you're so good for doing it. You've already made her life so much better than it would have been. While 4 nice days a week isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination, it's better than it could be and you should take some comfort in that.

I know, when you have nothing, anything is a bonus. Even twenty minutes off chain for her is a break from the monotony. Weekends are the best. We can take her to the beach, the forest and she gets on great with our little one, its like having two kids in the back seat lol. She can run and play and be a real dog. Over the last while I have seen "flashes" of her sort of coming back to life. Sounds ridiculous I know but to see her getting up to a bit of divilment and stealing a toy and running off, its shades of normal happy dog that she didnt show before. I love to leave her back really tired so that at least I know she will sleep away 10 or 12 hours :P I notice how our own privileged dog will stick her bum to the ground when we turn back, if she wants to go further, whereas the other one is not spoilt at all and is equally overjoyed with 5 hours or 5 minutes :)

Is there someone out there who specializes in animal interventions. Who would be an expert in approaching people in situations like this and getting them to understand what they are doing is not right??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭mojesius

Fair play to you for being so kind and giving the dog a happier life.

It breaks my heart seeing people treating dogs like this. I actually begged a good friend not to get a dog last year as she lost interest in her previous dog and he was locked out the back garden all day and night until he ran away or a family member let him out. I couldn't bear seeing another dog going through the same thing so I told her out straight that she didnt make a very good dog owner and begged her not to get one until she could share her home/time/life with one properly. She didn't get one thankfully.

Tougher situation if it's neighbours and one of them isn't particularly nice. Unfortunately, I think you're doing all you can right now. I just find it bizarre that your neighbours don't notice their neighbours looking after their pets for them and are not mortified or even questioning their own attitude towards their pets' welfare. Some people are just odd!!

mojesius wrote: »
    Fair play to you for being so kind and giving the dog a happier life.

It breaks my heart seeing people treating dogs like this. I actually begged a good friend not to get a dog last year as she lost interest in her previous dog and he was locked out the back garden all day and night until he ran away or a family member let him out. I couldn't bear seeing another dog going through the same thing so I told her out straight that she didnt make a very good dog owner and begged her not to get one until she could share her home/time/life with one properly. She didn't get one thankfully.

Tougher situation if it's neighbours and one of them isn't particularly nice. Unfortunately, I think you're doing all you can right now. I just find it bizarre that your neighbours don't notice their neighbours looking after their pets for them and are not mortified or even questioning their own attitude towards their pets' welfare. Some people are just odd!!

Oh they notice alright, they just think we are mad city folk with time and money to waste on the "baysts" :( I started to give her food when she is with me, as I realised that when I gave it to her at the kennel, he would deduct a days food from her. B*stard. I dont think my mother was too impressed yesterday when I told her I'll dance on his grave ;) Quiet now! Whatever will the neighbours think? :( She's of that majority camp in that she wouldn't harm an animal, but would be complicit through her silence (something else that didn't go down too well when I pointed it out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

cocker5 wrote: »

Well f*ck:mad: In a similar situation myself.. Theres gonna be a row when the current dog dies then because I will not allow another one in.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The other concern of course is if the authorities half did something. you know like if they call out to inspect and then leave again. People like that could hurt a dog in temper if you p1ss them off too! She ran into her kennel and cowered the other day when I was bringing her back when Mr Gobsh1te came to talk to me.

From the DSPCA

Animals who cower fearfully or act aggressively when their owners approach.

Report them immediately

and i will http://www.dspca.ie/lobbyforchange

• Advertisement

jimmer123 wrote: »
    From the DSPCA

Animals who cower fearfully or act aggressively when their owners approach.

Report them immediately

and i will http://www.dspca.ie/lobbyforchange

We have a new animal welfare bill now I think, not that its much good of never implemented :( Out of curiosity, who are you reporting? Are you in the same situation?

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/ImportedRevisedstampeddraft18b0211doc.pdf

Page33
    Prohibition on abandonment of animals. 3 (C) adequate exercise.

Report them

jimmer123 wrote: »
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/ImportedRevisedstampeddraft18b0211doc.pdf

Page33
    Prohibition on abandonment of animals. 3 (C) adequate exercise.

Report them

Thats all very well but firstly its only listing (i) and (ii) as an actual offense. The "adequate exercise" is extremely difficult to prove, a person just has to claim they are walking the dog - they will not have a private detective following to see if they are telling the truth. I would always encourage someone report a case of neglect or cruelty, but in this case I would be very worried the dog would end up worse off if reported.

Advertisement