Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty

Options
  • 11-06-2014 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

In Cork,
    Does anyone know what he can expect next, or what he can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

In Cork, a friend of mine was found with less than half a gram of drugs, it might be coke, he's not sure.he was given a caution and was told the drugs would be tested,then he would be notified whether it would stay a caution or be prosecuted.H co-operated fully with everything he was asked to do

I had a friend busted with a small bit of weed years back. He asked to be put on a probation order (not sure the exact name). Which would be removed from his record as long as he didnt get in trouble again.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

In Cork, a friend of mine was found with less than half a gram of drugs, it might be coke, he's not sure.he was given a caution and was told the drugs would be tested,then he would be notified whether it would stay a caution or be prosecuted.H co-operated fully with everything he was asked to do

That old chesnut! :rolleyes:

"A friend of mine" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Plainview85

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I had a friend busted with a small bit of weed years back. He asked to be put on a probation order (not sure the exact name). Which would be removed from his record as long as he didnt get in trouble again.

Thanks for your help :)

Thanks for your help :)

It not being on his record was the big thing. Travel, jobs etc. I think it has to be a first offence.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    It not being on his record was the big thing. Travel, jobs etc. I think it has to be a first offence.

This is his first one, so he has that going for him

• Advertisement

This is his first one, so he has that going for him

Up to the judge as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Assuming the Garda goes ahead with the prosecution, a good solicitor could get him probation with no record, or if he is very decent the judge might even strike the matter out. I'm interested as to how he does not know what the drug was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Assuming the Garda goes ahead with the prosecution, a good solicitor could get him probation with no record, or if he is very decent the judge might even strike the matter out. I'm interested as to how he does not know what the drug was though.

I'd say he lied to the OP. Could either be cocaine or MDMA, both class A so it doesn't make a difference really.

I'd say he lied to the OP. Could either be cocaine or MDMA, both class A so it doesn't make a difference really.

That's what I thought, It's almost certainly Class A in any case, so it makes no real difference.
    Does probation mean a fine too?

That's what I thought, It's almost certainly Class A in any case, so it makes no real difference.
    Does probation mean a fine too?

My friend had to make a poor box donation. Not sure how much.

• Advertisement

Also when I say he doesn't know I mean it, he bought it on a night out, and was told it was coke, but as he never does this sort of thing normally, he wouldn't really know for sure as he might have been just ripped off.

Also when I say he doesn't know I mean it, he bought it on a night out, and was told it was coke, but as he never does this sort of thing normally, he wouldn't really know for sure as he might have been just ripped off.

It depends on how much he spent. Half a gram of coke is quite a bit more costly than half a gram of MDMA.

It depends on how much he spent. Half a gram of coke is quite a bit more costly than half a gram of MDMA.

cost him 80, was about half empty when the guards took it off him

80 for a gram is most likely MDMA. Not that it makes a difference but for the sake of safety he should really know what he's buying - someone with that little knowledge should not be buying off random people in nightclubs. Not only was he ripped off - he could have bought something dangerous.

Anyway we've dragged it off topic a bit so apologies.

80 for a gram is MDMA. Not that it makes a difference but for the sake of safety he should really know what he's buying - someone with that little knowledge should not be buying off random people in nightclubs.

Anyway we've dragged it off topic a bit so apologies.

No it's all helpful so it's fine.
    Basically lads, is there any chance he could go to jail for such a small amount?

For a first offense and only carrying enough for personal use? I would go as far as to say not a chance he'll go to jail.

If/when he gets the court summons though it's worth his while to see a solicitor. Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Most likely would be a fine in the form of a donation to charity or something like that I'd imagine.

Yeah this is pretty much what I thought, thanks for the help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Get your friend to do what he should have done BEFORE talking to the guards and get a solicitor.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Get your friend to do what he should have done BEFORE talking to the guards and get a solicitor.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean?

Before speaking to the guards you are always better to consult a solicitor. Now is far too late but better late than never.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Before speaking to the guards you are always better to consult a solicitor. Now is far too late but better late than never.

Ok thanks for your help

Advertisement