Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog showing

• 11-06-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I bought a red setter pup last year and the breeders advertised them as IKC registered, so I bought a male. .. that was last August and I still have not received papers . He said to me that the sire wasn't registered, so he can't register his litter, I am so disappointed as I have a great show dog that has potential but without papers I'm limited to local shows and agricultural shows... is there any advice anyone can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Unfortunately if the sire is not registered you will never be able to register your dog and therefore will not be able to show it at ikc champ shows.

The breeder was obviously a dodgy one so prob a lesson learned. Where did you source the breeder from? How do you know your dog is show quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 madibaqueen

andreac wrote: »
    Unfortunately if the sire is not registered you will never be able to register your dog and therefore will not be able to show it at ikc champ shows.

The breeder was obviously a dodgy one so prob a lesson learned. Where did you source the breeder from? How do you know your dog is show quality?
    Hi... yeah it looks like he got one over on me and it was a lady who runs boarding kennels who told me about these pups but she never had any issues with him .. He owns the dam but not the sire. .. In fairness tho he has had conversations with the sire owner but I just haven't heard from him in a few weeks now and as for my pup, I take him to ring craft classes that are run by a husband/wife team that show dogs all over Europe Inc crufts, they both said he had potential. .. just looks like we'll have to make do with non IKC shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Which classes are they? I prob know the people.

That breeder should have never used that dog on his bitch if he wasn't registered. It's a shame there are still breeders out there doing this to people but it really is up to the buyer to do their homework and see all the paperwork before buying a pup off them.

andreac wrote: »
    Which classes are they? I prob know the people.

That breeder should have never used that dog on his bitch if he wasn't registered. It's a shame there are still breeders out there doing this to people but it really is up to the buyer to do their homework and see all the paperwork before buying a pup off them.
    They show in group 7 .... I'll just keep doing wot I'm doing with him as he enjoys it so much and hope that maybe my Lil man's papers will eventually come! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I judge group 7 breeds. The standard is very high in Irish Setters here. I also take ringcraft classes but I tend not to comment on clients dogs even when I find disqualifying faults.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    I judge group 7 breeds. The standard is very high in Irish Setters here. I also take ringcraft classes but I tend not to comment on clients dogs even when I find disqualifying faults.

I would have loved to have given him every chance of being a good show dog.
    He was best gundog puppy at a recent local show judged by an IKC judge although he did shy away from the judge but he told me as he's only 9 months old not to worry about it. Great to hear people's opinions. . Thanking you all. M xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Yes an awful pity that you can't show him. You would have had great fun too.

Advertisement