Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name That Art

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Ooooh Yes of course Oblomov, an extra stamp! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

OHH, Artist B was born in Zurich and wrongly attributted as leading English.... but lived in Putney and exhibited at the Royal Academy.. London.

Most def not an English name...

Thank you, red hare, I will try that little bit harder

Now, forget the painting... this painter was an exception.... enter the priesthood, had to leave.... Don't get the wrong idea... the painter exposed a magistrate for wrong doings... The magistrates family sought revenge so..... the painter had to leave.... vlassical educated, travel across germany, etc finally arriving in London..

the second of 18 , yeah eighteen children...... Dad must have been a busy body..

males better reading than talking about the painting

A and B met thro a famous painter who paoted the Scottish reverent skating...

Ohh what's the name of the painting.... anyone know?????

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yeah, this is, like, sssooooo easy... if you have google reverse image search... :/

Lads, we're not all as advanced as you lot in art... I wish!! Maybe we should have three threads, one for beginners, one for 'intermediates' and one for 'advanceds'... Yes, I made some words up, so, sue me! :D

Apologies that this one got a bit complicated but its there to be found on google - plenty of clues. I will have to buy a virtual-pint for the namer of this one :)

PS - another clue - I got the image from an obvious visual source. its attributed to artist B

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well, if we can 'cheat' -like I did the first time... :o
    it's Johann Heinrich Füssli aka Henri Fuseli's Psychostasi

Cheating or no cheating, it's a very interesting painting.

Yes New Home - Spot On! Psychostasy- The Weighing of the Souls.
    423px-Henry_Fuseli_-_Psychostasy_%28The_Weighing_of_Souls%29%2C_1800.jpg
    I was going to put the image up as being by Fuseli but then I spotted the signature of William Blake ( See here if you enlarge by clicking twice http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Henry_Fuseli_-_Psychostasy_(The_Weighing_of_Souls),_1800.jpg_

You're up!

I meant to add that there is an exhibition of ten of Fuseli's drawings on at the Ulster Museum in Belfast until August.

I don't know if they are as good as the work by him above - but really i think its by Blake.

Me? I won? That's totally unexpected... I don't have even have a speech written... Let's see, I would like to thank everyone who made this possible, oh, and Google of course... :D :P

Give me a few minutes and I'll have a think about it, please and thank you. :)

Here we go. Good luck. I made it as hard as possible, so it should take you the best part of 15 seconds to get it...

348238.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Red Hare wrote: »
    I meant to add that there is an exhibition of ten of Fuseli's drawings on at the Ulster Museum in Belfast until August.

Free entry, so worth checking out.
    I don't know if they are as good as the work by him above - but really i think its by Blake.

I followed the clues and found the two artists but the only pic I could find was Death of Achilles by Fuseli and the positioning of the body is exactly the same. I do think this one is better.

348262.jpg

Yes the body is exactly in the same position - I wonder who copied from whom! Its definitely a good work - as good as the Blake I'd say! .

New Home wrote: »
    Here we go. Good luck. I made it as hard as possible, so it should take you the best part of 15 seconds to get it...

348238.jpg

I have scanned hundreds of Madonna & Childs and haven't come across anything like it *cap in hand* ..Any chance of a clue?

Italian painter. c. 1459 - c. 1517. Another famous artist claimed that he, the author of this painting, was trained by Bellini.
    His works are held, among others, in the Hermitage Museum, the National Gallery in London, the Louvre, and Venice.

This is part of a polyptych.

Shout if you need more clues.

Is it ....Cima da Conegliano. Olera Polyptych. c.1486-88. Tempera on panel. Parish Church of St. Bartolomeo, Olera (Bergamo), Italy?
    cima3.jpg

Yep, very well done! Told you, it'd take you 15 seconds...

:)

8vJHe3.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Diddley Squat

very good

I smell a potential self-portrait...

Some people believe its a self-portrait but it is more widely not believed to be one.

• Advertisement

I think I got it, but I'd rather leave it for a while/ to someone else. :)

Still, I'm happy with myself for identifying it without 'cheating'... although I know this was an easy one by your standards...

It looks like Jan Van Eyck,,self portrait Just a wild guess...

Yes Oblomov its Jan Van Eyck. Its not certain if its a self portrait or not. I thought I had covered up enough of his face to make him unrecognizable ..but obviously not :). Well done .. over to you sir!

Jan%20van%20Eyck.jpg

LOL I had to do a paper on the brothers Van Eyck. even chsiing round Bruges for the gallery...

I;ll sort something...

6ZbdRY.jpg

Pairs, one usual, one unusually

Artist has a very unusual name, not artistic ....

6Mp9AZ.jpg

A +++ and a **** and a *** and an ***

Three "and"

Thee "A"

and an "an"

I thought it was some rich, fat man with a lacy shirt collar and a spaniel, but it turns out I was wrong - what a shocker...

So, my 'sources' tell me it's A Boy and a Girl and a Cat and an Eel.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, well done New Home, any chance you know who the artist is? :)

Advertisement