Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name That Art

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Sir Anthony Van Dyck - Charles I (1600-49)

Sir_Anthony_Van_Dyck_-_Charles_I_1600-49_-_Google_Art_Project_zpscylnevyx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

'Kin Hell

Fantastic. Well Done.

What gave it away????

Oblomov wrote: »
    'Kin Hell

Fantastic. Well Done.

What gave it away????

I recognised the brooch or what ever it is on the right corner.
    Bonus is that I have a post card of it from the museum on the wall as well :p
    Not posted in here before - do I post my own image thats slightly obscured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Yes you should obscure the image - maybe obscure it a good bit and give a verbal clue. ( be aware that others can use reverse image search engines such as tineye or google) :)

Red Hare wrote: »
    Yes you should obscure the image - maybe obscure it a good bit and give a verbal clue. ( be aware that others can use reverse image search engines such as tineye or google) :)

Ha, I will test it myself on reverse search to be sure :P

• Advertisement

This is an illustration by an arts and crafts illustrator born in Europe.
    They are not as well known for their illustrations than other forms of art.

hiddenimages_zpsfj7ehxms.jpg

Another clue is in order: the book was written by a rather famous American.

A person is riding an animal, but it is not a horse.

Leg%20showing%20oni_zpshptrmgbq.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Harry Clarke – Tales of Mystery and Imagination, 1923

http://www.nocloo.com/harry-clarke-tales-of-mystery-and-imagination-1923/

New Home wrote: »
    Harry Clarke – Tales of Mystery and Imagination, 1923

http://www.nocloo.com/harry-clarke-tales-of-mystery-and-imagination-1923/

Correct :)
    Your turn to post something.

• Advertisement

That was a tough one failinis- Well done New Home - I would never have guessed it was Harry Clarke.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's just that my generic, non-brand search engine skills are improving...

Just a sec, I'll wreck another image and be right back.

It might be too easy as it is... in any case, I'm only going to say 'Irish', for now.

353966.jpg

I see it says "cropped" - is what is posted the whole image or only a section?

The colours reminds me of "The Whistle of a Jacket " by Yeats.

Sorry - no, it's not cropped - I named the file first as I meant to take a chunk out of it, but then thought better of it and I unleashed my 5-year-old inner self on Paint.

I'm afraid it's not Yeats.

Time for more clues.

The artist in question is living. He's from Belfast but lives in Dublin. There's a very tenuous connection, among others, with this, whose 'creator' is also a trained painter... although this could be misleading.

More clues.

This was painted around 1994.

Some of the artist's other works were also used for the theatre, opera, and even for An Post.

I think I might have killed the thread, with this picture... :/ Either that, or you're all on holidays...

Would you like some more clues, or shall I just post the whole picture?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

reveal a bit more of the picture maybe

356025.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks New Home - no I havent forgotten about it just any of the ideas i had of who it was ended in a dead end:)

Ok, last clue, then I'll reveal the picture, etc. unless I'm told not to. :o

356664.jpg

Still no idea New Home! :o
    It certainly was a good choice, everyone is stumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

PJ Lynch, illustration from The Snow Queen
    Snow+Queen+Angels+close-up.jpg

Edit: someone else take my turn, I've no access to image editing atm!

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Well done, Dolbert!!!

The references,misleading as they might have been, were:

-Mr Burns playing the part of the Snow Queen
    -Michael Nyman had written that music as a soundtrack for a film by Peter Greenaway, and PJ Lynch won the Kate Greenaway medal.

EDIT: I know it wasn't a painting as such, but I think children's books illustrations still qualify as art...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

OOHHH that one.

LOL

Nice one, Both NewHome and Dolbert

nice to see new names appearing. Welcome Dolbert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As there is a free go available, and I am unlikely ever to get the ones you guys put up, here is my contribution.

357219.jpg

You will all know this pic which is why I covered up so much of it.

Just a question, PR - Is the background picture the full image, or is it just a part of it?

Full image

• Advertisement

Ah, ok - it's not 'The Young King of The Black Isles', so...

Advertisement