Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Boxset/Movies for Holidays!

• 11-06-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am away for a week with no internet and unfortunately the weather is forecast a lot of rain!
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good comedy box-set or something not too intense for the trip!

I have seen all the usual ones, Breaking bad, the wire, sopranos, SATC, true detective, peep show etc!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Curb Your Enthusiasm & Seinfeld

The 2 greatest US comedies ever, all imho of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    I'm Alan Partridge
    The Thick of It
    Brass Eye
    Arrested Development
    The Larry Sanders Show
    Freaks and Geeks
    First couple of seasons of The US Office
    Louie
    The IT Crowd
    Garth Marenghi's Dark Place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Brilliant thread OP!
    Still the saddo missing Breaking Bad and True Detective - have not had the interest in a series since.
    Am loving Family Guy - and it is wearing thin!
    I've missed Blue Bloods/The Good Wife and my other half won't watch anything with subtitles (he falls asleep!), so that rules out some of the more popular series, like the Bridge!

Like the OP.....Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

-Community!! Pure genius, full of pop-culture references, and gets better with repeat viewings

-Blackadder (ignore season one)

-Cheers is also great watching (much better than Frasier)

-I'd agree with The Thick Of It

-Jeeves And Wooster isn't exactly hilarious but it's very light hearted and entertaining

-The first two season of Misfits are excellent (I wouldn't advise watching past that not even the Christmas special which although funny takes away from a perfect ending to season 2). It's more of a drama than a sitcom but it is hilarious nonetheless

-Fresh Meat is also very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Claudette

House of Cards.

Not actually sure if it's available on dvd but if it is, I thought it was absolutely superb. Spacey is nothing if not compelling as the cartoonishly evil Frank Underwood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'd seriously recommend Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009). A bleak but compelling series, touches on every aspect of human nature, religion and all the shades of gray, but the characters are very likeable, very human, but flawed.

Some of the best writing I've ever seen on T.V, feels like a 60 hour LOTR on screen. You really feel the weight of the journey every step of the way the whole way through and it consistently reinvents itself as you follow the saga of these 50,000 human survivors chased across the universe An amazing war story and it all rings true as an allegory for the modern world. For me, it better than The Wire.

The Wire caught me my mind, but BSG caught my heart and mind.

I find many shows don't have the courage of their convictions, but this show where almost zero other stories in the medium go.

Music is John Williams level and the show is very cinematic and you are there It looks so damn expensive, but was made for a fraction of what other dramas on cable are made for.

I still think about the characters all the time, 5 years later, like you would charcters from a favourite novel. It is very novel like, there are almost 20 secondary characters that feel as fleshed out and alive as the main cast. It's such an ornate world and stuff is going on in the background, that it feels inhabited and wonderfully claustrophobic at times, which is what you want to convey when people are jammed inside refugee spaceships.

Has a full stop complete ending too it as well. A complete story from beginning to end.

It's like if LOST was done right. It really forces you to think for yourself and you'll come down on both sides when characters make decisions.

It's on Netflix, although some episodes appear to be edited for bizarre reasons unknown to me. Watch the miniseries and some of season 1 and if you like it run and buy the Blu Ray/DVD's complete set.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

For a good comedy, I would recommend the US Office if you haven’t seen it already! Arrested Development is worth a watch too.

If you want something with a bit of drama, but filled with laughs, Rescue Me (Denis Leary's post 9/11 series on the FDNY) is not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I forgot to mention Flight Of The Conchords last night, hilarious!

Drama wise I can't recommend Life On Mars highly enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

The Office (USA version)
    Ive got to say this without doubt has been my favourite tv series ever. In my opinion better than the UK original. It ran out of steam after Steve Carrall left for the last two seasons but season 1-7 were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Parks and Recreation from Season 2 on is good fun.

As for drama, I though Six Feet Under was a superb show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Drama - Sons of Anarchy, Justified, House of Cards US, Bates Motel

Comedy - Raising Hope, Orange is the new Black, Moone Boy, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Twin Peaks - huge bluray edition coming out end of July. You may as well discover where all the weird in modern TV started.

Advertisement