Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Kilkenny

Options
  • 21-03-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I was watching Nationwide this evening and a piece on the Parkrun movement was on and they showed the Parkrun in Marley Pk. It looked like an excellent idea. I wasn't onto the Parkrun website (www.parkrun.ie) and it said that there had been interest in Kilkenny. Anyone know anything about this? Would be brilliant if it could get up and running for the summer.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would definitely be good to see one start in kilkenny , anything that gets more people out and about is very much a good thing

I've not heard any news of one starting though

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

I agree Kilkenny Castle would make a stunning backdrop to a weekly parkrun - mail Matt Shields - matt@parkrun.com - he is the county coordinator for parkrun and he would be only too delighted to put you in touch with like minded individuals - also there was a shout out on the parkrun FB page back in Jan for those with an interest in a kilkenny parkrun to make themselves known a Grainne Kelly mentions that all queries be directed to her - https://www.facebook.com/parkrunEire?fref=ts - check it out its from the 22nd of Jan - good luck :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not involved in the organisation of this, but was hoping one might start in Kilkenny at some stage.
    PARKRUN KILKENNY - CASTLE PARK -VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!! Meeting Thurs 12th June 7:30pm

KRSP will host an information meeting on the establishment of Parkrun Kilkenny to be held at the Castle Park on Saturday mornings at 9:30am.

Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. We would like to see this become an option for Kilkenny.

Please come along on the evening and spread the word!

Guest Speaker will be Mr Matt Sheilds from Park run; Meeting details:

Date: Thurs 12th June 2014
    Venue: St. Patricks Parish Centre
    Time: 7:30pm

If you want to find out more about Parkrun before hand take a look at http://www.parkrun.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

About 12 people turned up, all fitter than me.

It is aimed mainly at recreational runners & walkers.

All going well it should be up and running by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I'd be interested in volunteering for this. I messaged somebody on Facebook about this ages ago but got no reply. Only saw this post now! Anyone know who to contact?

• Advertisement

Sent PM

Didn't manage to make the meeting on Thursday and something came up :(
    curious, what sort of volunteering are they looking for btw?

Volunteering doesn't seem to strenuous. Maybe six people to run each event.

Person to register participants, someone to put out direction signs, 2 people to take the time of finishers and someone to do health & safety at start. Timing is done by uploading to laptop and results can be uploaded to parkrun site afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Did this get off the ground at all?

First run is on Saturday September 13 at 9.30am

• Advertisement

nootroc wrote: »

That's brilliant. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I've heard this is starting in September

Does anyone know anything about it? Where the course is?

Edit: Sorry - just noticed there's a more recent thread about this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

nootroc wrote: »

Where is it being done?

Good course?

The course is in the Castle Park. There's to be a review of the course on Wednesday evening. Caters for all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I've heard this is starting in September

Does anyone know anything about it? Where the course is?

Edit: Sorry - just noticed there's a more recent thread about this :D

There is a Facebook page also with utd info - just search Kilkenny parkrun

NOTICE - Parkrun have just confirmed that Kilkenny parkrun won't be going 'live' till Sat October 11th 2014 due to a back log on Parkrun set ups globally.
    They have rescheduled the training workshop to Friday 10th October. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    Please Like & Share this notice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Here is the website page, doesn't seem to have an access link from the main site yet

http://www.parkrun.ie/kilkenny/

Course details http://www.parkrun.ie/kilkenny/

Hotel booked - looking forward to the start of this parkrun

Looking forward to this, after doing other distances this will actually be my first 5km race :)

84 registrations so far this week - really great numbers

• Advertisement

That's great numbers, so at least I hope there's someone as unfit as me there.

Dymo wrote: »
    That's great numbers, so at least I hope there's someone as unfit as me there.

That'll be me Dymo. Haven't run in months. Starting back this evening :eek:

Is there a physio forum :D

I wouldn't worry, I'd say they'll be a good mix of runners of all levels

Made it along to the first Parkrun on Saturday, really enjoyed it and was great to see a good turnout of around 170?
    Hope to see the event grow bigger and bigger,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If it grows bigger the park should be closed for the duration, the 170 or however many taking part on Saturday made it busy enough, and not conducive for a family out walking the dog or minding their own business.

If it grows bigger the park should be closed for the duration, the 170 or however many taking part on Saturday made it busy enough, and not conducive for a family out walking the dog or minding their own business.

Didn't see how the main crowd might have impacted on people in the park myself, but depending on how bunched up it is it could be awkward on some sections down near the pond as the path gets narrow.

Any race generally thins out abit after the first 1-2km, also its on at 9.30 not 11.30 so big difference on amount of visitors in the park at that time in the morning. I'd imagine parkrun and the opw will be keeping an eye on such things one way or another.

I didn't think there was any problem, with the crowd, sure the first 1km as a bit bunched but there wasn't any problems with other people in the park and after that it thinned out.

The main bunch of the crowd is finished after 35 minutes, so it's not as if the whole place should be closed. And at that time of the day the park is very quiet.

I thought the organisers/volunteers did a great job, so I hope the crowd even grows more

I'm all in favour of the run, think it's a great idea, was merely saying a family of 5 with 4 dogs having to keep in to the side of the path, walking in single file, so runners could get by, would not be how I usually go for a walk round the park. An increase in numbers of runners might suit a well advertised in advance closed park for a couple of hours.

I'm all in favour of the run, think it's a great idea, was merely saying a family of 5 with 4 dogs having to keep in to the side of the path, walking in single file, so runners could get by, would not be how I usually go for a walk round the park. An increase in numbers of runners might suit a well advertised in advance closed park for a couple of hours.

But what you're proposing isn't really workable,
    You think the park should be closed for a couple of hours every Saturday morning? :confused:

Parkrun is a free timed event of a 5km distance that is operated throughout the UK and Ireland in numerous public parks, its certainly workable in Kilkenny without any need for the castle park to be closed at all. Its not some professional paid event :)

The whole event is pretty short lived, people gathered for the start between 9.10 and 9.30. It started at 9.30, the vast bulk of people finished by 10.05 and the whole thing was packed up (signs down etc) and done by around 10.30.

Again, I'd imagine the OPW and Parkrun will keep an eye on such things. After all they had to agree to allow the Parkrun in the first place and I know OPW were certainly keeping an eye on things as I saw atleast two OPW people in jackets keeping an eye on the race route down by the Pond.

Anyway its early days, Saturday was only the first event so it'll be a learning process.

• Advertisement

A large growth in numbers would not be feasible in an open park in my opinion, how that's resolved would be for organisers and OPW you are quite correct.

Advertisement