Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LEAVING CERT DESIGN AND COMMUNICATION GRAPHICS (DCG) 2014 **

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

R00ster wrote: »

Guessed the URL for their other one, this ones probably even better.

http://dcgsolutions.org/Samples/DemoPD/DemoPD.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianDowd

Huell wrote: »
    Does everyone here have an adjustable set square? I had one and i broke it 2 weeks ago :(

Indeed I do :)
    sirwhy wrote: »
    We already have 40% of our grade, so the focus is on the paper. Anyone have predictions? What did you guys do for Section C?

I have no predictions but I'd like a good solids in contact with a nice intersecting planes or intersecting solids question.

I did road geometry and mining as well as cams and linkages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what is every ones timing for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

How do I get the directrix of a conic section? I have it on some of my drawings but never wrote down instructions...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

How do I get the directrix of a conic section? I have it on some of my drawings but never wrote down instructions...

It depends what you're given I think :) if you've the vertex and focal point then the distance between them is the same as the distance between the vertex and the directrix

Seriously lacking the motivation to actually do anything for this exam :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Guessed the URL for their other one, this ones probably even better.

http://dcgsolutions.org/Samples/DemoPD/DemoPD.html

thanks lads thats brilliant, shame i didnt know about it before now

It depends what you're given I think :) if you've the vertex and focal point then the distance between them is the same as the distance between the vertex and the directrix

Thanks, I found it in a book :) That's only for the parabola, for Ellipse if you're drawing from a cone, it's the points where the cone and focal sphere are in contact. If you're drawing from axes, then the distance from the focal point to a point on the curve divided by the distance from the same point to the directrix is the eccentricity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

No one else doing ordinary level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Grand paper overall was expecting a lot harder. Very dissapointed no interpenetration was on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I thought that was an ordinary level paper. B-3 and B-2 were a bit... Way too easy, weren't they? Roads question was hard though!!... Well that's me done with the leaving! Goodbye

• Advertisement

i thought it was ok what questions from b did ya do i done b-1 and b-2 i also done the roads question but i dont no if i done part c of it right did you have to put the the vertex in the middle of the 100m and have it at 115m high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

caolan1996 wrote: »
    i thought it was ok what questions from b did ya do i done b-1 and b-2 i also done the roads question but i dont no if i done part c of it right did you have to put the the vertex in the middle of the 100m and have it at 115m high ?

No it said "the ball reaches its max height of 115m after having travelled 100m. "100mm across from E, 115mm up from the red 65m line on the cross section, is the vertex of the parabola.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

No it said "the ball reaches its max height of 115m after having travelled 100m. "100mm across from E, 115mm up from the red 65m line on the cross section, is the vertex of the parabola.

Sorry but I am quite sure this is not correct. To be specific, the ball reaches an altitude of 115m. The line |DE| was at an altitude of 65m (as you say). Therefore, you go over 100mm as you say, because of the scale, but you only go up to 115m (so if you say every five millimetres is five metres, you measure up 50mm to the vertex, not 115mm as you've stated). That small issue aside, that is indeed where the vertex should have been.

EDOT: Saw the edit below, so I'm glad that it wasn't an issue (and besides, you wouldn't have had the space to go up 115mm so perhaps it was too nitpicky :P. Given that it's generally easier to see things, Caolan, this is, roughly, what you should have had (it should be noted I cannot remember the ground profile, so that's just a rough guess, the parabola shape is what is important): i.imgur.com/RN6LwTK.png

Sorry but I am quite sure this is not correct. To be specific, the ball reaches an altitude of 115m. The line |DE| was at an altitude of 65m (as you say). Therefore, you go over 100mm as you say, because of the scale, but you only go up to 115m (so if you say every five millimetres is five metres, you measure up 50mm to the vertex, not 115mm as you've stated). That small issue aside, that is indeed where the vertex should have been.

Sorry that's what I meant...almost shat myself there thanks!
    Count up to 115 in 5mm intervals from the 65m line (ie up 50mm from line) and across 100mm, that's the vertex

Given that it's generally easier to see things, Caolan, this is, roughly, what you should have had (it should be noted I cannot remember the ground profile, so that's just a rough guess, the parabola shape is what is important): i.imgur.com/RN6LwTK.png

I can't remember exactly what it asked but didn't you have to bring the point where the ball lands, down onto the plan of the green? Can't see that in your diagram (I know it's not meant to be 100% accurate, but just seeing if you did it right or not.)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

I can't remember exactly what it asked but didn't you have to bring the point where the ball lands, down onto the plan of the green? Can't see that in your diagram (I know it's not meant to be 100% accurate, but just seeing if you did it right or not.)

I'm looking at the question now and it just states "In the profile view, draw the parabola and determine the position of the point on the green where the ball initially lands" so it doesn't seem neessary to bring it down onto the plan (I dropped the point down just to be safe, and I assume you did too, but it doesn't say you have to so I'd think it'd be fine with just the above). There is a mention of the plan in that it has "travelled a horizontal distance of 100m (in plan)" but the actual question doesn't seem to make note of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Pretty handy paper, easy short questions.

Now, lets go ****ing mental

I'm looking at the question now and it just states "In the profile view, draw the parabola and determine the position of the point on the green where the ball initially lands" so it doesn't seem neessary to bring it down onto the plan (I dropped the point down just to be safe, and I assume you did too, but it doesn't say you have to so I'd think it'd be fine with just the above). There is a mention of the plan in that it has "travelled a horizontal distance of 100m (in plan)" but the actual question doesn't seem to make note of it.

god dammit i hate misreading questions how much would i lose for it i done the parabola and labelled the point where it hit the green

Did anyone do C-2? For the left hand side of the plan, I projected a view of the surface ACE from the left hand side of the elevation. I made it into a half-parabola with vertex E and the base on the line AC. Then I took the widths from that parabola for the plan of the curve AEC. I know I should've taken them from the other parabola that you had to draw, and I started to do that, but for some reason it didn't look right and I lost confidence in myself. Any know if that other method I used was also a possible solution? I'm pretty sure it's not though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

would you get bonus marks by ticking that you answered through irish? All you would have to learn is 5 or 6 words then get the marks :P just sayin'

• Advertisement

There's no bonus marks for Irish in DCG

I can't believe I did this but I just realised I did the road 1:20 falling instead of rising haha Is this a bad mistake? Will get 0 marks for that part of the question because of it? I had the method right and everything just did it falling.

FatRat wrote: »
    There's no bonus marks for Irish in DCG

I can't believe I did this but I just realised I did the road 1:20 falling instead of rising haha Is this a bad mistake? Will get 0 marks for that part of the question because of it? I had the method right and everything just did it falling.

Not 100% sure on this but I think you get 0% for that part...the marking scheme is pretty harsh in that you either get the marks or you don't, but then again the marking scheme is very broken up too so if some of the steps at the start are the same then you'll get marks for them.

Not 100% sure on this but I think you get 0% for that part...the marking scheme is pretty harsh in that you either get the marks or you don't, but then again the marking scheme is very broken up too so if some of the steps at the start are the same then you'll get marks for them.

That is harsh. Very harsh.

FatRat wrote: »
    That is harsh. Very harsh.

Yeah but look at marking schemes for other years, there probably aren't a whole lot of marks going for it anyway :) And sure if that's the only mistake you made there's nothing to be worried about!

Yeah but look at marking schemes for other years, there probably aren't a whole lot of marks going for it anyway :) And sure if that's the only mistake you made there's nothing to be worried about!

do ya now how many marks i would lose for not doing the parabola right i done a parabola and located the point where it hit the green but its not right how much would i lose do ya no?

caolan1996 wrote: »
    do ya now how many marks i would lose for not doing the parabola right i done a parabola and located the point where it hit the green but its not right how much would i lose do ya no?

Did you just take a measurement wrong or what? As long as the method is correct you should get some marks anyway, but that was a part (c) (wasn't it?) so there won't be many marks for it anyway :)

Did you just take a measurement wrong or what? As long as the method is correct you should get some marks anyway, but that was a part (c) (wasn't it?) so there won't be many marks for it anyway :)

ya what i done was i put the vertex at 50 instead of 100 i misread the question i done the parabola right tho

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yayakolo

Shockingly easy paper just look at the old course in comparison its so much harder!!

how did you have to do question 1 in section A about taking a penalty was it as easy as just bisecting the line in the endview for part a and then putting it as 15 degrees for part b ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement