Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morton Games 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I hear the pole vault could be something special this year, but it is on at 6, before the official opening of the meet, so get there early...

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

And no world cup on that day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RayCun wrote: »
    I hear the pole vault could be something special this year, but it is on at 6, before the official opening of the meet, so get there early...

Renaud Lavillenie?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Renaud Lavillenie?

don't think so, they'd be shouting that from the rooftops

Just an add on:

Any athletics club coaches who want to bring their u-16's groups (free entry) are more than welcome:

Fire an email to guestmortongames@gmail.com

There are 80 overseas athletes and 120 locals so it is shaping to be the strongest event to date.

• Advertisement

I'll put something in our mailout so parents can bring their own kids - I think our coaches will be more interested in spectating than kid-herding :)

Giving this a bump - Morton Games this Friday.

Ten euro for adults and you can bring your u-16s for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Giving this a bump - Morton Games this Friday.

Ten euro for adults and you can bring your u-16s for free.

Should be a good night some great races on show.

Anyone fancy recording it or atleast doing results messenger for me:D? If last year is anything to go by I will be stuck in the treatment room for the night and not get out to watch any of the races.

what's the story with parking? will Santry Demesne be open until the end of the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

what's the story with parking? will Santry Demesne be open until the end of the games?

Was last year, and we got parked OK. However with it being on a Friday this year I would expect a bigger crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Was last year, and we got parked OK. However with it being on a Friday this year I would expect a bigger crowd.

Crowne Plaza hotel is 5ish min walk away and is 2 euro an hour to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

2 for 1 with this flyer.

Jnealon wrote: »
    2 for 1 with this flyer.

Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

It will be open until the end. You'd need to be there early as the car park doesn't hold too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

If stuck you could use Gullivers Car Park which is about 1.2 mile 2.0km away from the stadium. There might be a short cut through the park if the rear gate facing the park is open for admission.
    I understand from a local councillor there could be particular Garda notice given to illegally parked cars around the Swords Road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Might head out to this, great line up of folks running...

Dont get to see a lot of decent live athletics (read, none, ever)

senior championships on the following weekend, also worth a watch
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/glohealth-national-senior-championships/

I was at this last year and parking really wasn't an issue. There was a decent crowd there but it wasn't a sellout. Just get there early and you'll be fine.

Timetable: http://mortongames.ie/events-timetable-2/

Also, I read that Ciaran O'Lionaird is chasing the European Qualification time for 1500m in the mile race. Not sure how that will work, will they have to take an official split of the last 1500 meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Also, I read that Ciaran O'Lionaird is chasing the European Qualification time for 1500m in the mile race. Not sure how that will work, will they have to take an official split of the last 1500 meters?

Am i right in saying that the Irish 1500m record was actually set in a 1 mile race using the split....Ray Flynn (30 years ago!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that the Irish 1500m record was actually set in a 1 mile race using the split....Ray Flynn (30 years ago!!).

Yes!

Saw this at the Le Chéile IMC races last month, Eoin Everard was chasing a 1500m time. It looked so weird, he was absolutely pegging it with 300m to go (and I was thinking that he'd gone too early!) and then jogging the last 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

They'll have an official split for the first 1500!

The 800m is shaping up to be the race of the meet with the Stadium record set by English last year set to fall provided the conditions are decent
    Mark English (IRL) – PB 1.44.84
    Paul Robinson (IRL) – PB 1.45.86
    James Eichberger (MEX) – PB 1.45.88
    Ryan Gregson (AUS) – PB 1.46.04
    Declan Murray (IRL) – PB 1.46.77
    Jordy Williamsz (AUS) – PB 1.47.34
    Jamaal James (TRI) – PB 1.46.57
    Ryan Martin (USA) – PB 1.44.77
    Mark Wieczorek (USA) – PB 1.46.36
    Abraham Kiplagat (KEN) – PB 1.43.77

While sad to see an event lost at this meet, great to see the women get a chance at a high class relay race.

Looking forward to enjoying a great evening of track action. Some super line-ups, and hopefully conditions will be good for some quick times.

Notice though how I only said track rather than track and field. Excluding the Paralympic disciplines, there's just 2 field events on this evening's programme, and both take place before the main programme starts. Why is this? Only a couple of weeks ago the European Team Championships highlighted just how shocking we are at field events, yet we can't even be bothered to put such events on the programme of one of the main nights in the Irish athletics calendar.

Some good racing tonite. Missed Barr's fantastic win in 48.94 (thanks Dublin public transport). 3:51 in the mile. Great finish to the women's mile. English winning in 1:45.30. Robinson 1:46.4 in first 800 of season. Gregan well off the pace. Commentator coming out with outrageous facts throughout.

Think that sums it up in a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Barr's run was super. Was well behind the world champion coming into the home straight but finished very strong. Great night of athletics, something like 6 stadium records. Does anyone know if C O'L made the 1500 euro standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

menoscemo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if C O'L made the 1500 euro standard?

Don't think he did as it only mentions Travers reaching it and finishing in 3:55

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Barr's run was super. Was well behind the world champion coming into the home straight but finished very strong. Great night of athletics, something like 6 stadium records. Does anyone know if C O'L made the 1500 euro standard?

pretty sure he missed it, he looked blown on the back straight was dropping back through the field

Advertisement