Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre rollout

Options
  • 11-06-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can you let me know when Eircom expects to have rolled out fibre into Kinnegad, Co.Westmeath.

I'm buying a house in the area, and though i can get 8mb NGB, i really need faster.

I have asked technicians, salespersons, etc all of whom say "some time in the next two years" which is a bit of a slapstick response.

Can you give anything more accurate?

Basically, the moment ANYTHING faster than 8mb with 1:1 contention becomes available in kinnegad, let me know and you have a guaranteed sale. Very much a "shut up and take my money" scenario.

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

According to Ireland Offline, it will be upgraded to VDSL/eFiber in 2016.

You're better asking when the exchange will be upgraded to ADSL2+, which is "up to" 24Mb and make sure the house you buy is located beside an exchange because to closer you live to the exchange, the faster your speed is. In other words, the shorter your telephone line, the faster your broadband.

You could also buy a house near a cabinet for when the area is upgraded. More info. on this map: http://www.irelandoffline.org/newmap/#/main

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

CruelCoin wrote: »

Christ.
    Yep. Small villages come second-last. Rural areas come last. If you get 8Mb, it's still decent. HD streaming uses around that. Rural areas in Ireland are lucky to get 3 or 4Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

Can you let me know when Eircom expects to have rolled out fibre into Kinnegad, Co.Westmeath.

I'm buying a house in the area, and though i can get 8mb NGB, i really need faster.

I have asked technicians, salespersons, etc all of whom say "some time in the next two years" which is a bit of a slapstick response.

Basically, the moment ANYTHING faster than 8mb with 1:1 contention becomes available in kinnegad, let me know and you have a guaranteed sale. Very much a "shut up and take my money" scenario.

CC.

Hi CruelCoin

There are no plans for efibre to Kinnegad within the next 18 months and I'm unable to advise beyond that I'm afraid. Even if efibre hit Kinnegad in 2016 there is no guaranteed that your specific area will be upgraded as it's really all dependant on the rollout of VDSL cabinets which have not even been planned for Kinnegad yet.

The kinnegad exchange has been recently upgraded to ADSL+ (theoretically means up to 24MB) so I'm surprised to hear that your address only expect up to 8MB, do you want to PM the specific address and I'll double check the NGB speed to expect?? - An old number for the house would be prefect if you have one :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hi,

CC.

Hi CruelCoin

There are no plans for efibre to Kinnegad within the next 18 months and I'm unable to advise beyond that I'm afraid. Even if efibre hit Kinnegad in 2016 there is no guaranteed that your specific area will be upgraded as it's really all dependant on the rollout of VDSL cabinets which have not even been planned for Kinnegad yet.

The kinnegad exchange has been recently upgraded to ADSL+ (theoretically means up to 24MB) so I'm surprised to hear that your address only expect up to 8MB, do you want to PM the specific address and I'll double check the NGB speed to expect?? - An old number for the house would be prefect if you have one :)

Al
    Hi Alan,

That would be great, pm sent.

Cheers,

Roy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

CC.

Hi CruelCoin

Al
    Hi Alan,

That would be great, pm sent.

Cheers,

Roy.
    Thanks Roy,

Just got back to you there :)

Al

Advertisement