Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Car for College (17 years old)

• 11-06-2014 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hey guys, as the title suggests, I am intending to buy a second hand car this summer, so I can learn how to drive and then use it for the commute to college.
    I'll be put as a named driver on my dad's policy. I would like some advice+ recommendations as to what I should get.

Budget : bit flexible as I'm a spoiled little brat , approx €5,000.

Engine Size :My parents insist on 1.6 or lower, preferrably 1.4 litre.

I won't have any driving experience prior to the purchase so I am relying on you guys' thoughts and opinions, along with my dad's obv. I don't want a micra or anything like that, as I barely fit in my mam's one (too damn small for comfort, yet I like the idea of Mini Coopers). I don't know anything about insurance and stuff so I need to stay away from any cars that "ring alarm bells" for insurance providers.

Also , I'll be driving this for at least 6 years so it needs to be relatively new on the mileage clockup <75000

TLDR : 17, second hand car, 1.6 or lower, what to buy from your experience le do thoil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At 17, male and zero driving experience, anything other than something like a Fiesta, Micra,Yaris or maybe even the likes of a Corolla or Focus is going to ring alarm bells with insurance companies. Imo not a hope of getting cover on a MINI Cooper.

BTW regarding insurance, even though you might save a few quid short term by getting you parents to be the main policy holder, insurance companies are aware of this trend (which is called fronting) and will just load the highest risk driver on the policy irrespective of whether you are the main driver or not.

So my advice is start off with something simple, build up your NCB for a year or two, pass your driving test and then see insurance is like on more powerful cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

Yeah my dad was calling for a Corolla, never looked at a Ford Focus actually. Any experience driving them? I've noticed the amount of these on every corner of every road on Ireland, must be quite decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How far is your commute?

Whats your budget for insurance? Bearing in mind that even the cheapest to insure car is likely to set you back €1500 or more on insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What I would do is take a few examples of various cars you are interested in and start getting insurance quotes on them. At 17 what you buy can be directly influenced by what you can insure. Insurance is not cheap for anyone at that age.

djimi wrote: »
    How far is your commute?

Whats your budget for insurance? Bearing in mind that even the cheapest to insure car is likely to set you back €1500 or more on insurance.

From college choices, furthest would be to UCD. (from Cabra, Dublin 7)

The cheaper the better, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

brian888 wrote: »
    Yeah my dad was calling for a Corolla, never looked at a Ford Focus actually. Any experience driving them? I've noticed the amount of these on every corner of every road on Ireland, must be quite decent.

I'd have a 1.4 corolla over a 1.4 focus any day as its got a much more responsive engine. It's got better reliability too, although the focus is not unreliable mind.

No one will be able to tell you about insurance, apart from the insurance companies themselves. Ring around all the insurance companies and do your homework before you buy any car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You really, really don't need a car to get from Cabra to any University in Dublin.

I know the idea of a car is great but it's just not worth it. Traffic is a pain first thing in the morning and at rush hour, petrol isn't cheap and insurance for a 17 year old will cost a fortune.

You're so much better off putting the 5k in the bank and just commuting for the first two years. Just my 2c though.

On topic, BoxyMo will definitely be your cheapest option - they'll track your driving though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Focus are very nice to drive. 5K is serious money for a student looking for first wheels. I would suggest a Focus/Golf/Corolla around the 1500 euro mark. Then if you have a mishap, all your money isn't wiped out. keep it 12 months and see how you get on with it. Focus with a boot cheaper to buy than the hatchback ones, btw. Best of luck driving.

You really, really don't need a car to get from Cabra to any University in Dublin.

I know the idea of a car is great but it's just not worth it. Traffic is a pain first thing in the morning and at rush hour, petrol isn't cheap and insurance for a 17 year old will cost a fortune.

You're so much better off putting the 5k in the bank and just commuting for the first two years. Just my 2c though.

Thanks for the reply, but let's just say I am going ahead with the car anyways.(For my own reasons)

Fair enough, I was recently in the market for a car as well. Best options are a Corolla, Focus or Astra. Stay away from Golfs or you'll get ripped apart by the insurance companies.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Focus are very nice to drive. 5K is serious money for a student looking for first wheels. I would suggest a Focus/Golf/Corolla around the 1500 euro mark. Then if you have a mishap, all your money isn't wiped out. keep it 12 months and see how you get on with it. Focus with a boot cheaper to buy than the hatchback ones, btw. Best of luck driving.

I've actually wanted to go with something like a cheaper car along the lines of €1,500 but my mam insists on newer with less mileage (don't ask me, idk) Also, it would seem this car would have to stay with me for a long while, hence the bigger investment. I think I may have to just let my dad decide..... He'll prolly choose the standard Golf/Polo, Corolla, Astra, etc. He is pretty stubborn aswell so he wouldn't even consider anything not German or Japanese , so if I don't do my research and put up a reasonable arguement , then the Renaults, Fiats, Skodas will be ignored. That's why I'm on boards, to seek a broader opinion.

A nice 05-06 corolla hatch would fit the bill perfectly imo.

They have top reliability and are on of the most maintenance friendly cars out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

From college choices, furthest would be to UCD. (from Cabra, Dublin 7)

The cheaper the better, I guess.

Volvo B9TL has 300 hp minimum and would get you there with lots of cash left over for booze....

Marcusm wrote: »
    Volvo B9TL has 300 hp minimum and would get you there with lots of cash left over for booze....

how dare you make me google something...... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Don't go near anything close to 1.6 or 1.4.

Get a very cheap older 1.0/1.2 car and run it into the ground, it will be cheap to buy and cheap to run.

With zero driving experience you want to start with something small that can take a few bumps and bruises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

You're dad ain't wrong refusing to buy Renault, fiat, or skoda!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

When is your driving test ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

popolive wrote: »
    When is your driving test ?

Or will your dad be sitting in the car all day waiting for you to finish college so you're not driving unaccompanied?

greenflash wrote: »
    Or will your dad be sitting in the car all day waiting for you to finish college so you're not driving unaccompanied?

I am going to get lessons very soon, withing the next two weeks. I'll be using the car that I get to practise otherwise. I'll get the lessons in the instructor's car and then practise with my dad/mam when they have time.

I am going to get lessons very soon, withing the next two weeks. I'll be using the car that I get to practise otherwise. I'll get the lessons in the instructor's car and then practise with my dad/mam when they have time.

At 17 you probably want a chick friendly car but that's just a pipe dream until you lose the L Plates. Exam nerves and inexperience are bad enough but driving a barge with no experience is not only dangerous for your test but can also seriously backfire if you encounter a hostile tester and are asked to do a U-Turn in a small road with traffic bothering you during your test . It will also backfire if upon return to the test centre there is a scarcity of small spaces in which to park. My advice is buy the smallest car possible for 500 euro and trade it up when you pass your test. It will save you a fortune in insurance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Just my 2 cents,

Im 17 myself still in school ( well off for summer ) and anything over a 1.2 is madness! im paying over 3k now on insurance (TP only) on a 1.2 1998 petrol. The only reason i can do this now i because im in a stable position work wise and i like having the luxury.

Anything over a 1.2 is crazy and i wouldnt go further then spending 1000 on a first car!

popolive wrote: »
    At 17 you probably want a chick friendly car but that's just a pipe dream until you lose the L Plates. Exam nerves and inexperience are bad enough but driving a barge with no experience is not only dangerous for your test but can also seriously backfire if you encounter a hostile tester and are asked to do a U-Turn in a small road with traffic bothering you during your test . It will also backfire if upon return to the test centre there is a scarcity of small spaces in which to park. My advice is buy the smallest car possible for 500 euro and trade it up when you pass your test. It will save you a fortune in insurance too.

I know where you're coming from, but the situation I'm in is that I'll have to keep it. So no buying something dirt cheap and trading up within the next year or two. I'll need something more reliable and decent. I'm not eyeing down anything exquisite, I'd be happy with something comfortable and practical like a Fiat Panda or something. I also wouldn't chance my arm, I'd only go for the test when I'm ready with the car I have.

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents,

i wouldnt go further then spending 1000 on a first car!

I don't think my mam would be comfortable with me spending less than 2/3 grand on a car to be honest. That's just the way she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

ratracer wrote: »

Oh really? Do tell me more.
    Fiat are fine, just because some gob****es can't do basic car checks on older cars such as checking the oil and water regularly doesn't make fiats bad.

also skoda=vw the car of choice for half the country.

OP if I was you I'd get a cheap little fiesta with the 1.25 engine in it. Nippy enough and shouldn't cost to much to insure.
    Put some of the money aside until you finish college and want a different car and can't afford it.

Just a heads up as it's a trend here - I'm more looking for something like "I swear by my Toyota Prius as it has 1324244mpg and is cheap on the tax but avoid the Ford Maxis because they have horrible steering" or "A Golf should do nicely, very easy to handle and not too expensive to insure" and not advice telling me to travel by bus or buy something for €1000 and upgrade. Thanks ! Hope that wasn't rude or nothing.

Oh really? Do tell me more.
    Fiat are fine, just because some gob****es can't do basic car checks on older cars such as checking the oil and water regularly doesn't make fiats bad.

also skoda=vw the car of choice for half the country.

OP if I was you I'd get a cheap little fiesta with the 1.25 engine in it. Nippy enough and shouldn't cost to much to insure.
    Put some of the money aside until you finish college and want a different car and can't afford it.

A minute before my moan comment, but this is what I'm talking about, Thanks.
    Genuine advice is nice to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I got a corolla for my first car, I was a bit older than you at 19 but it got me around.

Drive a golf TDI now and i would never go back to petrol again.

I got a corolla for my first car, I was a bit older than you at 19 but it got me around.

Drive a golf TDI now and i would never go back to petrol again.

Diesel wouldn't suit me due to the short travel. Corolla's pretty high on my list alright.

atm I'm thinking Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, VW Polo, Fiat Panda, etc.

A minute before my moan comment, but this is what I'm talking about, Thanks.
    Genuine advice is nice to have.

That would be my genuine advice....

If I was looking for a car at 17 I'd be buying cheap as chips to insure, get a year or two Ncb and get something that I really wanted. Mind you, I never buy based on the age of the car, or the miles the car has had. I'd rather buy a 12 year old car with 120k miles on it with full service history, everything replaced when it was meant to be replaced than a 6 year old car with 3 services and 60k miles on it.
    I don't see the point in paying a premium for a newer reg plate. Newer plate doesn't mean better car.

• Advertisement

With my little knowledge, I'd be buying from a registered dealer and preferably with a newer plate (at least '04) , service history, guarantee, all the good stuff. Peace of mind is key for me.

my neighbours lad started college in Dublin last September and needed a car. the neighbour went to the local car auctions looking for a golf or focus, but chanced his arm on a 2002Fiat Punto .800 euro with nine months test left. The son turned up his nose at it, but the father said, "take it or leave it, but you can walk to college if you don't want it." College being 80 miles away he took it, and its been completely reliable for him.looks good too, metallic black.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    my neighbours lad started college in Dublin last September and needed a car. the neighbour went to the local car auctions looking for a golf or focus, but chanced his arm on a 2002Fiat Punto .800 euro with nine months test left. The son turned up his nose at it, but the father said, "take it or leave it, but you can walk to college if you don't want it." College being 80 miles away he took it, and its been completely reliable for him.looks good too, metallic black.

Nice story hours before my art exam hehe. Parts wrong with that for me would be : auction,chanced,€800.

With my little knowledge, I'd be buying from a registered dealer and preferably with a newer plate (at least '04) , service history, guarantee, all the good stuff. Peace of mind is key for me.

Just bare in mind a dealer will generally only give you a 3 month engine a gearbox warranty. I wouldn't say no to a dealers car, but it'd want to be much better than anything available privately. However buying of owners clubs means I can better this.

Just bare in mind a dealer will generally only give you a 3 month engine a gearbox warranty. I wouldn't say no to a dealers car, but it'd want to be much better than anything available privately. However buying of owners clubs means I can better this.

Can you explain that last sentence to me please good sir? I don't quite understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Can you explain that last sentence to me please good sir? I don't quite understand

By that he means that if you are looking to buy something like a Golf you should look into buying from someone on the likes of www.autostadt.ie or if you're interested in buying a BMW, buy from a known enthusiast on something like www.BMW-Driver.net . Basically he means you should also look at owners clubs/websites to buy from for cars you are looking at.

I was in your situation 2 years ago Brian when I started college, the parents got me a Yaris last year for it and it's been great, it gets very decent MPG while also having decent room and spec. It's taken me everywhere.

• Advertisement

Nice story hours before my art exam hehe. Parts wrong with that for me would be : auction,chanced,€800.

Fair enough, but how else are you going to learn about car maintenance or repair? :D

Or how about this?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-yaris-1-litre-nctd-02-16/7114087

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

why do you need a car for college?

when I went to college I bought a bicycle

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    why do you need a car for college?

when I went to college I bought a bicycle

Bike ? Thats posh! At least you had shoes unlike me. I had to walk to college with newspapers wrapped around my feet :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I hope you intend to pass your test before you start driving yourself to college....

A friend is up in court soon as he thought it was ok to run around on a Learner Permit unacompanied...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Please stop saying I don't need a car.I sure as hell know I don't need one. I dont need a computer and internet aswell but I still have them. The fact is that I intend to get a car and just want some advice on it since I know that i have no experience! If you didnt get a car and cycled well then good on you but thats your life and your choice,not mine. That yaris linked looks good but no mention of service history and such.

But Brian, if you bought a brand new car, it would have no service history either :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.0 Yaris. Grand little car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Please stop saying I don't need a car.I sure as hell know I don't need one. I dont need a computer and internet aswell but I still have them. The fact is that I intend to get a car and just want some advice on it since I know that i have no experience! If you didnt get a car and cycled well then good on you but thats your life and your choice,not mine. That yaris linked looks good but no mention of service history and such.

you don't need a car
    the running costs will bleed you, plus you'll be the taxi for your mates

money that should be better spent in college - socialising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lads, cop on will ye, all he wants is suggestions for cars. I'm sure if he's spending up to €5000 on a car he can afford to run it during college. He might even have a well paying job, ye don't know his circumstances to accurately tell him to not get a car. This forum is really stupid sometimes.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    you don't need a car
    the running costs will bleed you, plus you'll be the taxi for your mates

money that should be better spent in college - socialising

43473529.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

ratracer wrote: »

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Double post

Lads, cop on will ye, all he wants is suggestions for cars. I'm sure if he's spending up to €5000 on a car he can afford to run it during college. He might even have a well paying job, ye don't know his circumstances to accurately tell him to not get a car. This forum is really stupid sometimes.

The overwhelming majority are telling him to either buy an extremely cheap yolk for the first two years or not to buy at all. Considering the fact that we're on a petrolhead forum what does that tell you?

17 without a single lesson under his belt looking to fork out 5k for a car is a waste of money whatever way you look at it. This isn't up for debate, it's a fact. He needs to get his mandatory 12 lessons, apply for the test, wait the 2 months and then pass it. All before September of course. Not to mention this is provided he did his theory over 6 months ago which I doubt. And then there's the legality of the whole situation - he'll be cruising up and down without a fully licensed driver beside but that's grand because we're all petrolheads. Believe it or not sometimes other people have been through stuff you haven't and can offer constructive criticism/advice. Shocker I know. Especially as a young lad. Sure we know everything.

As for suggestions, they are in abundance. The general consensus seems to be that he go for a Focus/Corolla/Astra 1.4 petrol 03-06 at that price range to keep insurance as low as possible. 17 year old with a VW will get ripped apart. If he wants to scale down a bit then the 1.25 Fiesta is a nice option.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

How about a mitsubishi colt? not the coolest car in the world but should meet your criteria (and your dads..jap reliability) Here's one you'd pick up for 4k, leaving more money towards the insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement