Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pawn Shops

Options
  • 11-06-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anybody know if there are any pawn shops still open in Dublin that don't buy just gold? I spent a good hour today looking around town for a pawn shop to sell a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses I have that I just don't need anymore. They're worth €130 so I'll be getting at least €60 off them which would be nice, but is there even anywhere to sell it? I remember there used to be quite a few only a couple years ago, but now unless I have scrap gold or quite surprisingly video games I can't sell christianity to a nun. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Carthy's pawnbrokers on Marlborough Street, long established business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Don Jon

Tried it, guy behind the counter said they weren't that sort of pawn shop and that he didn't know of any still active in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

You could try Second Abbey, it's a second hand shop on the Capel St end of Abbey Street. not a pawn shop but they might give you a good price for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Most shops will only give you a fraction of what they are worth, you'd make more selling them yourself on Adverts.ie or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mec1

There is a Pawn shop on Queen Street but like Carthy's, they go more for jewellery etc. They have a great selection of engagement rings etc at really good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

mec1 wrote: »
    There is a Pawn shop on Queen Street but like Carthy's, they go more for jewellery etc. They have a great selection of engagement rings etc at really good prices.

OP doesn't want to buy engagement rings.

Nice try at getting some free advertising ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭despot

Sell em online. Pawn Shops wont give you a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

despot wrote: »
    Sell em online. Pawn Shops wont give you a penny.

This, pawn shops give very poor prices, you're much better off selling on Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mec1

Thanks Sam. Several people mentioned other places. I dealt with the place on Queen Street once before and found them fair. Not trying to advertise for anybody. He did mention pawn shops and I made the point that they really don't go for things other than jewellery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You'll get more for them on gumtree,adverts.ie or donedeal.

Pawnbrokers dont want designer sunglasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cash Converters or similar usually take odder stuff than jewellery but you're going to get sod all from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

mec1 wrote: »

they also take guitars. op id say your best bet is cash converters over by Thomas st. but as mentioned,you'll only get a fraction of their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

they also take guitars. op id say your best bet is cash converters over by Thomas st. but as mentioned,you'll only get a fraction of their value.

I thought they closed? Is it not a bookies now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I thought they closed? Is it not a bookies now?

you could be right mate,its been awhile since i ventured south of the river :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Long closed.

Advertisement