Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Lifts 5x5

• 11-06-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hello not sure if this has been posted here before but whats the general consensus on StrongLifts 5x5? Looking to do some strength training this summer while I cut weight also and it seems handy enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Good program. Keep upping the weights and eat like a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Saxo wrote: »
    Looking to do some strength training this summer while I cut weight
    Blacktie. wrote: »

:p

Mellor wrote: »
    :p

Sleep deprivation + being in early for work does not make for a concentration reading.

Sleep deprivation + being in early for work does not make for a concentration reading.

Ah cutting is over rated any way.
    "Let them eat cake"

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Ah cutting is over rated any way.
    "Let them eat cake"

Thanks lads :) how many calories per day should I be on while doing this? I have to hit fight weight by end of August but I need to drive my strength up :p

• Advertisement

Thanks lads :) how many calories per day should I be on while doing this? I have to hit fight weight by end of August but I need to drive my strength up :p

Calories will come down to current and target weights rather than the program itself.

What's your current weight? And what's fight weight - what sport also.

Calories will come down to current and target weights rather than the program itself.

What's your current weight? And what's fight weight - what sport also.

Current weight is around 92kg, I drop to between 79-82 kg depends :) and kickboxing is the sport :) I think I'm going to stay below 85 all year round now that I'm finished school though.
    Btw I know I won't drop that far by August but I want to be atleast halfway there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Depends on how much weight you need to cut.

You can try and work out your total daily energy expenditure here to work out what you burn and what you might need to get on board.

Depends on how much weight you need to cut.

You can try and work out your total daily energy expenditure here to work out what you burn and what you might need to get on board.

Roughly 10kg! I have a problem though that I have to maintain my current weight until this stupid debs is finished cause of suit sizes so I have roughly 4 weeks to get down atleast 5-6 kg! I train 3 times a week for 2 hours and its strenuous exercise :)

I'm probably not even making sense at the minute, my brains fried from exams :P

Roughly 10kg! I have a problem though that I have to maintain my current weight until this stupid debs is finished cause of suit sizes so I have roughly 4 weeks to get down atleast 5-6 kg! I train 3 times a week for 2 hours and its strenuous exercise :)

I'm probably not even making sense at the minute, my brains fried from exams :P

Run a deficit of 350 calories a day and you'll be down 5kg in 4 weeks. Sounds pretty easy and it is during the week but a weekend on the booze can easily destroy a weeks work. This is something I've only recently started to notice (Theory put to the test :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement

Run a deficit of 350 calories a day and you'll be down 5kg in 4 weeks. Sounds pretty easy and it is during the week but a weekend on the booze can easily destroy a weeks work. This is something I've only recently started to notice (Theory put to the test :rolleyes:).

I'm not much of a partier so this shouldn't be a problem for me, what's the max you think I could drop? there was a time when I dropped nearly 10kg in 4 weeks but I was drained and felt ill quite a bit! My coach advised to take one cheat meal on Saturday's but I might leave that out :)

I'm not much of a partier so this shouldn't be a problem for me, what's the max you think I could drop? there was a time when I dropped nearly 10kg in 4 weeks but I was drained and felt ill quite a bit! My coach advised to take one cheat meal on Saturday's but I might leave that out :)

To minimise muscle loss the slower the better! Even 5kg in a month is pushing it and you'll prob lose some muscle with the fat. Just keep it nice and consistent. Consistency is everything!

Depends what a cheat meal is for you I guess. Just don't have some massive calorie dense day of coma death!

To minimise muscle loss the slower the better! Even 5kg in a month is pushing it and you'll prob lose some muscle with the fat. Just keep it nice and consistent. Consistency is everything!

Depends what a cheat meal is for you I guess. Just don't have some massive calorie dense day of coma death!

I'll stick to a 350 deficit then :) should I increase the amount of meals I eat but reduce the portion sizes or? I'm currently eating 3 meals a day.. a cheat meal for me would be just a fry and some white bread :)

I'll stick to a 350 deficit then :) should I increase the amount of meals I eat but reduce the portion sizes or? I'm currently eating 3 meals a day.. a cheat meal for me would be just a fry and some white bread :)

Amount of meals doesn't matter. Personally when cutting weight I prefer big meals that leave me full for a while so 3 meals does me well. Something to consider when looking for a 350 calorie daily deficit over a short time period means you'll have to be meticulous with counting calories. That means weighing everything including oils used when cooking sauces used when eating etc. This can be too over the top for a lot of people so you could just eat the same foods you eat right now but knock down the portion size. Worked pretty well for me for the first 5kg. Now I'm at the meticulous phase!

Amount of meals doesn't matter. Personally when cutting weight I prefer big meals that leave me full for a while so 3 meals does me well. Something to consider when looking for a 350 calorie daily deficit over a short time period means you'll have to be meticulous with counting calories. That means weighing everything including oils used when cooking sauces used when eating etc. This can be too over the top for a lot of people so you could just eat the same foods you eat right now but knock down the portion size. Worked pretty well for me for the first 5kg. Now I'm at the meticulous phase!

3 meals it is then! :) I used to be very meticulous about the weighing of stuff but I find you worry too much about everything you eat then and you can't really enjoy yourself any bit :p thanks for all the advice man I appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

so im sick of my normal biceup curl, shoulder press, skull scrusher etc routine and saw this 5x5 stronglifts website and i want to try it out on monday.

im the skinny-fat type..some excess fat round my chest and lower stomach while being 6"3. i know this routine adds strenght but will it really give me size? im not gtting much size from my splits and i hope this routine will change that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

MarkY91 wrote: »
    so im sick of my normal biceup curl, shoulder press, skull scrusher etc routine and saw this 5x5 stronglifts website and i want to try it out on monday.

im the skinny-fat type..some excess fat round my chest and lower stomach while being 6"3. i know this routine adds strenght but will it really give me size? im not gtting much size from my splits and i hope this routine will change that

You can have the worlds best routine and you'll never optimise gains if your diet isn't in check.

Size gain= calorie surplus. If you want true size then hit up some hypertrophy work or TUT. But to answer your question yeah 5 x 5 will add mass in a surplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

You can have the worlds best routine and you'll never optimise gains if your diet isn't in check.

Size gain= calorie surplus. If you want true size then hit up some hypertrophy work or TUT. But to answer your question yeah 5 x 5 will add mass in a surplus.

i have a good diet. ive recently bumped up my cardio too doing 1.5 mile runs and trying to beat my PB everytime i go and also HiiT i do either the run or Hiit 3 times a week so my cardio is properly in check(i think?) my diet was ok but now alot better. i need size added but im scared because before i stated going to the gym nd eating more, i didnt have much bodyfat around my chest and belly.

will this 5x5 be best for me over my splits? example of my splits would be 4 exercises per bodypart 4 reps and between 8-12 reps. 2 bodyparts per day.

my friend said that i need to do the 5x5 stronglift if i want to gain muscle instead of wasting my time on isolations etc.

ill give it a go anyways for a few weeks. it will be interesting trying to better my lifts each week just like its interesting trying to beat my 1.5 mile runs each week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Post up a typical day's diet? If you didn't have fat before you started and now do your diet is off: either eating too much or eating the wrong ratios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

A 350 kcal/day deficit would amount to something closer to 1kg than 5kg of weight loss over a 4-week time frame.

• Advertisement

A 350 kcal/day deficit would amount to something closer to 1kg than 5kg of weight loss over a 4-week time frame.

So it is. Have no idea where I got my numbers from to come up with 5kg.

Advertisement