Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre-marriage course Dublin

• 11-06-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any place out there that runs a one day pre-marriage course?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not really answering your question but I would check if you really have to do this. We got away without doing one :pac:. The priest told us he isn't about the put a 35 year old through a course about how to live together. Sound man he was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Maybe try these guys:

http://together.ie/index.php

Might be an idea to run the course past your priest. I know a few couples, where the priest insisted on the accord course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Nah, Priest said we have to do it :(

In a way i can understand why they want us to do it, but why its over 2 days boggles the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wait until you do the course and you will get a real sense of what the phrase "waste of time" truely means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The one we are doing is 8 til I think 10 on the Friday and 10 til 5:30 on the Saturday so not really 2 days. Its in Lucan.

Still a pain in the bollocks.

• Advertisement

The one we are doing is 8 til I think 10 on the Friday and 10 til 5:30 on the Saturday so not really 2 days. Its in Lucan.

Still a pain in the bollocks.

Yeah probably looking at Lucan too mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

The Accord place on Harcourt St runs it that you do the course over 2 weeks, Tue and Thurs of each week between 8pm and 10:30pm. I didn't realise it at the time, I was booking it online and thought we were doing well by only having to do 5 hours over 2 days. Jaysus was my face red on the first evening on the course and discovered it was over 2 weeks and not 1!

Absolute waste of time of time, was already living with the wife-to-be and had a child! Your best bet is to have a few pints beforehand, it'll make the course go quicker plus you'll be more giddy and ask questions about God etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Avalon do a one day course. They have a few venues around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bellabear2014

We found a one day course in Dublin called "together". Starts at 9.30 and finishes at 5. Sent a cheque yesterday and they confirmed our place by email today.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I mentioned this in the other thread but before you book anything, just make sure that your priest will accept the cert from that course. Some don't mind what course you do, as long as you do one, but others will only have a specific one/ones that they'll take.

• Advertisement

I'll try find out what is acceptable to him.
    He'll probably be awkward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

Slattsy wrote: »
    Nah, Priest said we have to do it :(

In a way i can understand why they want us to do it, but why its over 2 days boggles the mind.

When I got married the priest was flexible. Had to tick the box etc but had a chat with us over a cup of tea..

If the priest who's marrying yis won't give any leeway I think your stuck with it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

MRCS on Fitzwilliam square do one - think they're in Swords too, and it's a private session. It's not religious, i.e. not affiliated with any Church so you might need to check that your priest is happy with that.

I found them excellent. Really enjoyed it actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

xalot wrote: »
    MRCS on Fitzwilliam square do one - think they're in Swords too, and it's a private session. It's not religious, i.e. not affiliated with any Church so you might need to check that your priest is happy with that.

I found them excellent. Really enjoyed it actually!

Can you remember what the cost was? I can't see any info on their website, just a contact me link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

almorris wrote: »
    Can you remember what the cost was? I can't see any info on their website, just a contact me link.

Sorry it was nearly five years ago so I dont remember.

For some reason €135 is in my head but I could be pulling that out of thin air, I know I recommended them to a friend last year and she said it worked out the same price as the group ones so would around €135 be right?

Update: did a quick google and found a post on a wedding forum which said it was €220 back in 2007, might be less now. I think it's worth every penny just for the privacy aspect, some things came up in our session that I hadn't expected, not about our relationship but stuff I would have been uncomfortable discussing in a group situation. Plus it's only 3 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Thanks for the reply xalot. There's more course's out there than people know about. Some require a fair bit of time, which is probably not cool if you live in the bog and have to attend one. Be interesting to see if priests accept them all or have a bias to particular ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭tommythecat

There is a one day one in Tallaght. In the Maldron/Merriot? Hotel. Doing it this coming coming sunday. Woop! Ugh....

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

almorris wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply xalot. There's more course's out there than people know about. Some require a fair bit of time, which is probably not cool if you live in the bog and have to attend one. Be interesting to see if priests accept them all or have a bias to particular ones.

I'm pretty sure the church push you to do an Accord course because it's run by the RCC and all the money goes back into the RCC. It's a money spinner rather than something they actually care about, often.

There is a one day one in Tallaght. In the Maldron/Merriot? Hotel. Doing it this coming coming sunday. Woop! Ugh....

Yeah we did that one, just one day. Wasn't going too badly until the priest went into a rant about gay marriage. No one asked questions after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Dónal wrote: »
    Yeah we did that one, just one day. Wasn't going too badly until the priest went into a rant about gay marriage. No one asked questions after that.

Ha! That must be why he brushed over it and said "that will just take up too much time to discuss!"
    He seemed nice enough. Course was grand, not too Holy etc. They had a couple in to talk about their marriage experience. I tell you they had a rocky ride and by my reckoning could do with some counselling! Not a great advertisment but they were together 36 years so I guess they are doing something right!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement