Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References asked before any offer or viewing

Options
  • 11-06-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I am looking for a new apartment and I have been asked references for work and landlord before any offer or viewing.
    I asked to some friends and colleague, none of them has experienced anything similar in the past.
    Is that normal? Could be because they are letting the house as luxury letting, even if is just a brand new building?
    Is there something to be concerned of?

In a couple of weeks I will also have to renew the contract of my current house (I am with an agency), and I have been asked what do I want to do and they want obviously to increase the rent.

What if I ask for references now? What should be the best thing to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

sirio wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for a new apartment and I have been asked references for work and landlord before any offer or viewing.
    I asked to some friends and colleague, none of them has experienced anything similar in the past.
    Is that normal? Could be because they are letting the house as luxury letting, even if is just a brand new building?
    Is there something to be concerned of?

In a couple of weeks I will also have to renew the contract of my current house (I am with an agency), and I have been asked what do I want to do and they want obviously to increase the rent.

What if I ask for references now? What should be the best thing to do?

Thanks

Is this normal? It certainly seems to be becoming normal. I was asked for references for all the places I viewed 4-6 months ago. The first couple of times it was a pain, so I got a reference letter from work and from my current landlord and herself got one from her work and we photocopied a half dozen or so copies and then for the next viewing, we had the references good to go.

Its not because they are letting luxury houses, its because demand is huge and they can afford to be choosy.

Ask for references now, but you dont need to make a decision. Go to a few viewings, have your references on you and if they accept you for a place you like and it is close to what you are currently paying then take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sirio

syklops wrote: »
    Is this normal? It certainly seems to be becoming normal. I was asked for references for all the places I viewed 4-6 months ago. The first couple of times it was a pain, so I got a reference letter from work and from my current landlord and herself got one from her work and we photocopied a half dozen or so copies and then for the next viewing, we had the references good to go.

Its not because they are letting luxury houses, its because demand is huge and they can afford to be choosy.

Ask for references now, but you dont need to make a decision. Go to a few viewings, have your references on you and if they accept you for a place you like and it is close to what you are currently paying then take it.

Actually the right question should be: is this legal?
    They are collecting a huge amount of information in this way. What is my salary, where and how often I spend money and where, personal documents etc etc

They can potentially resell this information on the black market. A request like that should be prosecuted in my opinion. I definitely understand references for landlord and work AFTER a final offer from them for confirmation that all my payments were regular in the past, but this is really too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Actually the right question should be: is this legal?
    They are collecting a huge amount of information in this way. What is my salary, where and how often I spend money and where, personal documents etc etc.

Eh references shouldn't contain that information, so if you are handing it over freely that is your problem.

Eh references shouldn't contain that information, so if you are handing it over freely that is your problem.

I have been asked for:
    - 3 months bank statement
    - passport or ID card
    - work references
    - landlord references
    - pps number

If I do not provide those info prior to the viewing, they would not probably give me an appointment. What should I do if I really want that house? I have no other option than accept. This is like extortion...

I have been asked for:
    - 3 months bank statement
    - passport or ID card
    - work references
    - landlord references
    - pps number

If I do not provide those info prior to the viewing, they would not probably give me an appointment. What should I do if I really want that house? I have no other option than accept. This is like extortion...
    Give them a redacted version of your statements, references are a standard request, as is proof of ID, PPS is used in registration of the tenancy.
    Tell them you will bring along all the above at the viewing, but you will not be leaving the information with them unless you are taking the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wouldn't be showing anyone anything in my bank statement bar if they want to see that I am capable to paying my way......

TheDriver wrote: »
    I wouldn't be showing anyone anything in my bank statement bar if they want to see that I am capable to paying my way......

Hence saying give them a redacted version.....they will learn nothing from a sheet of paper covered in black lines.

Give them a redacted version of your statements, references are a standard request, as is proof of ID, PPS is used in registration of the tenancy.
    Tell them you will bring along all the above at the viewing, but you will not be leaving the information with them unless you are taking the property.

This is exactly what I want to do. I'll bring hard copies, nothing sent electronically and I will leave the papers only if I have a contract back. What do you mean for "redacted version of your statements"?

This is exactly what I want to do. I'll bring hard copies, nothing sent electronically and I will leave the papers only if I have a contract back. What do you mean for "redacted version of your statements"?

You're unlikely to get a contract there and then, you may get an oral agreement to rent.

Redaction requires you to print off your statements, get a marker (typically black), and draw a line through everything they don't need to know.
    I would suggest leaving the narrative of your wages visible and the narrative of any previous rent payments....you can black out the amounts.

Advertisement