Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you allowed to leave the exams early?

Options
  • 11-06-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

I was wondering if you're allowed to leave the exam early as our yearhead and principal are threatning to cancel people exams if they leave early

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭i am awsome

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    I was wondering if you're allowed to leave the exam early as our yearhead and principal are threatning to cancel people exams if they leave early

You can leave early, my friend left 1 hour early for every exam so far, but it's not recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Yeah you can totally leave early, I think I've left nearly every exam at least 10 minutes early! They can't do that, it's total bluff that you should call them out on. They've no correlation to the SEC so can't cancel the exam anyway but definitely not for something that's allowed be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

You can leave early, my friend left 1 hour early for every exam so far, but it's not recommended!

Yea I know what you mean but just say if you got your exam done early and you've looked over it a few times before leaving

Xgracie wrote: »
    Yeah you can totally leave early, I think I've left nearly every exam at least 10 minutes early! They can't do that, it's total bluff that you should call them out on. They've no correlation to the SEC so can't cancel the exam anyway but definitely not for something that's allowed be done!

The examiner I had was arguing with the yearhead regarding this issue and some of my friends are in big trouble with the principal after the yearhead caught yhem leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

We're allowed to leave early, and many do, but in our school if you leave more than a half hour before the end of the exam, you get a text home:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The examiner I had was arguing with the yearhead regarding this issue and some of my friends are in big trouble with the principal after the yearhead caught yhem leaving

No that's sooooo wrong on their part! Your friends should get their parents in like id say it even says on the SEC website somewhere about leaving early! It's not as if you're even properly in school anymore you're just using it as a place to sit exams

We're allowed to leave early, and many do, but in our school if you leave more than a half hour before the end of the exam, you get a text home:rolleyes:

That's great compared to my school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

It won't kill you to sit the exam for longer or until the exam end. Why would you want to leave early when you know you won't have an exam similar to that in the next 2 years. It's not worth putting all the work you have done in the past 3 years in an 80 minute exam with another hour to go and just leave early

No that's sooooo wrong on their part! Your friends should get their parents in like id say it even says on the SEC website somewhere about leaving early! It's not as if you're even properly in school anymore you're just using it as a place to sit exams

That's why the examiner was arguing with the yearhead but our yearhead and principal say we are breaking school policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1 votingelephant

I don't know about the rest of you but in our school we can leave whenever we want.
    For business yesterday there were only about 15 people that actually stayed for the whole exam, most of us had left before the last 40 mins.

Edit: Just to add, we are allowed to leave within the last 30 minutes

• Advertisement

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    It won't kill you to sit the exam for longer or until the exam end. Why would you want to leave early when you know you won't have an exam similar to that in the next 2 years. It's not worth putting all the work you have done in the past 3 years in an 80 minute exam with another hour to go and just leave early

I'm talking in behalf of all the people who have completed their exams early and have looked over it

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

In all honesty if an exam is 2 hours long it's 2 hours long for a reason, if an exam is 3 hours long, it's that long for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TypicalAsian

In all honesty if an exam is 2 hours long it's 2 hours long for a reason, if an exam is 3 hours long, it's that long for a reason.

Unless it's CSPE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I know I did my LC a few years ago now but we were always allowed leave at any time except the last 30 mins.

I think a lot depends on how fast a writer you are. I am a very fast writer so I left most exams an hour or so early and always checked them over.
    And no, I didn't get bad marks!

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I know I did my LC a few years ago now but we were always allowed leave at any time except the last 30 mins.

I think a lot depends on how fast a writer you are. I am a very fast writer so I left most exams an hour or so early and always checked them over.
    And no, I didn't get bad marks!

That's why people in my school want to leave early

That's why people in my school want to leave early

Then explain that to the principal. I probably wrote more than many of my classmates yet was almost always the first to leave.

Then explain that to the principal. I probably wrote more than many of my classmates yet was almost always the first to leave.

The principal made this stupid rule

The principal made this stupid rule

Nothing you can really do then I'm afraid:(

Nothing you can really do then I'm afraid:(

Would I not be able to complain to the the state comission

because this is what it says on their website:

No candidate may be authorised to leave the examination hall until the expiration of thirty minutes from the time at which the examination began.

Pwee2029 wrote: »

If you're finished and happy with it it's fine to leave early? If you don't want to don't but other people can, if I had to stay in French for another hour I wouldve gone insane!

• Advertisement

If you're finished and happy with it it's fine to leave early? If you don't want to don't but other people can, if I had to stay in French for another hour I wouldve gone insane!

That's the subjects which my friends got in trouble for leaving

It depends on your writing speed how well you know the stuff etc. exams are that long so everyone can get them finished (ideally) some people will get them done quicker than others

No candidate may be authorised to leave the examination hall until the expiration of thirty minutes from the time at which the examination began.

Possibly, I'm afraid 8 years ago is a bit too long for me to remember the exact rules! But no harm is having a word with the examiner who observes the students. She should be able to tell you the rules that have been officially put in place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't leave until thirty minutes have passed and you can't enter once thirty minutes have passed. Outside that, it's not an Exams Commission issue. Many bigger battles worth fighting.

You could probably email them!

spurious wrote: »
    You can't leave until thirty minutes have passed and you can't enter once thirty minutes have passed. Outside that, it's not an Exams Commission issue. Many bigger battles worth fighting.

But isn't that breaking state comission rules?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

But isn't that breaking state comission rules?

No, those are the only rules the SEC has - no one out until thirty minutes are gone, no one in after thirty minutes are gone. They have no rule about how long you have to stay, once the thirty minute deadline is passed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

You can leave early if you want just not in the last 10 minutes however for insurance and stuff in or school anyway you have to stay in the school until after the exam officially ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I've left early for a lot of exams; maths, business, CSPE, geography, history, Irish and French. In most of them I have done at least one extra question where possible and still finished early. Like today in history I did an extra people in history but still finished 20 mins early. I find that the 2 hours you have for the exam in French and science is too much and you end up finishing after one hour.

In my school we are discouraged from leaving early but there's no one stopping us so everyone does it. Most of the time I see no harm I leaving early but there's something seriously wrong if someone leaves English early.

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    I've left early for a lot of exams; maths, business, CSPE, geography, history, Irish and French. In most of them I have done at least one extra question where possible and still finished early. Like today in history I did an extra people in history but still finished 20 mins early. I find that the 2 hours you have for the exam in French and science is too much and you end up finishing after one hour.

In my school we are discouraged from leaving early but there's no one stopping us so everyone does it. Most of the time I see no harm I leaving early but there's something seriously wrong if someone leaves English early.

I agree that there is too much time for science

Advertisement