Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A binoculars better for a beginner?

Options
  • 11-06-2014 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Is binoculars better for a beginner than a cheap telescope?

Do you recommend binoculars for a beginner because you can use binoculars for other things as well as looking at the Moon and Jupiter (which is about all a cheap scope is good for).

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep, you get more flexible magnification for your money. No point in spending big unless you have it to freely spend.

Can't do much better for very modest outlay by all accounts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001M3612/1944

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Those Bresser binos in aldidl are very good for the money and combined with a tripod will yield excellent results. Mine worked great until my son dropped them. Then they didnt work so well. On the upside i got to show him the internals and how they (used to) work!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

shedweller wrote: »
    Those Bresser binos in aldidl are very good for the money and combined with a tripod will yield excellent results. Mine worked great until my son dropped them. Then they didnt work so well. On the upside i got to show him the internals and how they (used to) work!

Are the a special deal or there all the time?

what level of detail would i say on Jupiter. i have a huge dark area in achill island that perfect for star gazing?

irishgeo wrote: »
    Are the a special deal or there all the time?

what level of detail would i say on Jupiter. i have a huge dark area in achill island that perfect for star gazing?
    Special deal and i cannot remember when they come out, sorry.
    As for detail on jupiter, you will see the four moons easily enough but to see detail on jupiter itself will require a good bit more power. Those 25x70 (or 100?) celestron binos could bring out detail where you are and they go for €100
    I have to say i'm envious of your location for stargazing. Must be among the darkest sites in europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

shedweller wrote: »
    Special deal and i cannot remember when they come out, sorry.
    As for detail on jupiter, you will see the four moons easily enough but to see detail on jupiter itself will require a good bit more power. Those 25x70 (or 100?) celestron binos could bring out detail where you are and they go for €100
    I have to say i'm envious of your location for stargazing. Must be among the darkest sites in europe?

being meaning to get something for along time to stargaze with, i dont live there all the time but get down regular enough. the only problem is the sky does be dark with clouds more often than not.:D

• Advertisement

Clouds eh? Grr!

Advertisement