Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party BBQ

Options
  • 11-06-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    We are having a dept. BBQ in August. Approx 40 people.

There is 1 condition-All food must be able to be eaten whilst able to hold a beer in the other hand.

Agreed so far: Burgers, Prawn Skewers and Chicken skewers. A few Spatchcock chickens for later in the night.

Salads are covered.

I'm looking for suggestions for something more we can do meat-wise. Open to anything at all. We had discussed a small spit roast pig but as nobody among us has ever done one we won't take the chance on getting it wrong.

Also-Any suggestions as to what quantities we need would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Makoid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I always do skewers with boiled baby potatoes and chorizo, come off the bbq delightful. Do the chicken skewers with mushrooms, onion and pepper pieces on them. Maybe do lamb burgers instead of beef. For quantities allow one burger, one of each skewer per person then round it up maybe 10% people don't eat as much as you think. For every hungry man in your dept there is a small lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A big rack of ribs and then chop them up into individual portions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Chicken wings!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Pulled pork...easy to prepare in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 Pulled pork - never any leftovers

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

lemeister wrote: »
    Pulled pork...easy to prepare in advance

How would a full pork loin work out on a BBQ? Anyone tried this?
    It's a gas BBQ with rotisserie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

+1 on the pulled pork - ask your butcher for a decent shoulder of pork.

There's also 'beer can' chicken - you can use a beer can or Weber do a tray for doing this on.

I've tried various beers over the years with this recipe and find a strong ale gives a lovely flavour, as does cider. Guinness can be a bit strong and lager a bit insipid.

Plus any recipe that starts with you drinking most of a can of beer cant be that bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm sure you haven't, but don't forget about vegetarians.
    One great option is a Portobello mushroom and a thick slice of haloumi, in a burger bun, with all the usual burger fixings.

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Cerveja69

I was at a bbq last night and we had steak skewers. The meat was really tender. You cook bbq the steak and cut it into pieces then skewer with some peppers or chorizo pieces.

You could also try some beer battered fish goujons or some popcorn chicken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Makood wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    We are having a dept. BBQ in August. Approx 40 people.

There is 1 condition-All food must be able to be eaten whilst able to hold a beer in the other hand.

Agreed so far: Burgers, Prawn Skewers and Chicken skewers. A few Spatchcock chickens for later in the night.

Salads are covered.

I'm looking for suggestions for something more we can do meat-wise. Open to anything at all. We had discussed a small spit roast pig but as nobody among us has ever done one we won't take the chance on getting it wrong.

Also-Any suggestions as to what quantities we need would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Makoid
    Does not compute!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Does not compute!

Farmers hands!

Hopes he does not offend any members of the farming community

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Does not compute!

Sliders!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sliders!

3rtad5-300x196.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I have butterflied legs of lamb in the past, I marinate them overnight then slow cook in the oven to very rare. They can then be finished off on the BBQ and sliced up easily. Never any leftovers though......rats. :(

Advertisement