Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Of The Best???

• 11-06-2014 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭

My son's 8th birthday is coming up and he wants an Xbox One or a Playstation 4 ......... now I think he's still too young but all his friends seem to have one (or use their older brothers'/Dads') so I'm giving in with the condition that the whole family will be using it .......... but I need help!

I've heard that the Xbox One is better as an entertainment centre than the Playstation 4 regarding downloading games, movies, apps, netflix, music, net surfing etc ......... is this true?

Or is it worth getting either at all? Should I just get him a considerably cheaper Xbox360 and wait until he's older before investing in whatever the latest console is on the market at that time?
    Will he even notice the difference??
    Actually what is the difference!?! I'm lost!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Whats games is he interested in ? I assume minecraft is high on that list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

calex71 wrote: »
    Whats games is he interested in ? I assume minecraft is high on that list?

YES!!! Forgot to mention that, he's Minecraft crazy!! Why?

Also something called Little Big Planet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Minecraft ha they all are crazy for it at that age these days, not out yet on the next gen consoles but will be soon I think. Little big planet is a Playstation only game. At his age I'd say based on those games you would be fine on the PS3 , has access to netflix etc blue ray for films, I'm sure others here with younger gamers at home might be able to offer better advice on games, but sure you can never go wrong with lego ones ..... some of us big kids also like those :o

calex71 wrote: »
    Minecraft ha they all are crazy for it at that age these days, not out yet on the next gen consoles but will be soon I think. Little big planet is a Playstation only game. At his age I'd say based on those games you would be fine on the PS3 , has access to netflix etc blue ray for films, I'm sure others here with younger gamers at home might be able to offer better advice on games, but sure you can never go wrong with lego ones ..... some of us big kids also like those :o

He has played all the Lego games on his Wii and PsVita ......... didn't know Little Big Planet was a Playstation only game .......... so Minecraft is not available on Xbox One or Playstation4???

Should add that I think he's "between" games so to speak ......... as in he's getting a little too old (in his opinion!) for Lego games but also a little too young (my opinion!) for the adult themed games .......... I guess a console that can grow with him maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

MadDog76 wrote: »
    He has played all the Lego games on his Wii and PsVita ......... didn't know Little Big Planet was a Playstation only game .......... so Minecraft is not available on Xbox One or Playstation4???

Should add that I think he's "between" games so to speak ......... as in he's getting a little too old (in his opinion!) for Lego games but also a little too young (my opinion!) for the adult themed games .......... I guess a console that can grow with him maybe?

minecraft will be on xbox one
    but it also be on ps4

lbp is ps3 only atm not sure if sony announced a new one yet

ask him what his friends are playing on, that should help swey the decision from one side to the other

edi: nevermind I just seen little big planet 3 was announced , so if anything I think your son would be delighted with a ps4
    it also has tv features and will have the sky go app as well I think (if your a sky user) and has netflix

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    minecraft will be on xbox one
    but it also be on ps4

lbp is ps3 only atm not sure if sony announced a new one yet

ask him what his friends are playing on, that should help swey the decision from one side to the other

Thanks ......... some of his friends have an Xbox One, some an Xbox360 and some a Playstation 4 ........... I'm worried that this week he'll want a Playstation just because of one game then next week he'll be into another game that's not on the Playstation after me spending 400/500 euros ......... I think a good all round console is best ............ so maybe Xbox One?

Just saw your edit ........... we do have Sky so .......... Playstation 4 it is!! I think? Does Playstation have a Microsoft Live equivalent do you know???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Thanks ......... some of his friends have an Xbox One, some an Xbox360 and some a Playstation 4 ........... I'm worried that this week he'll want a Playstation just because of one game then next week he'll be into another game that's not on the Playstation after me spending 400/500 euros ......... I think a good all round console is best ............ so maybe Xbox One?

Just saw your edit ........... we do have Sky so .......... Playstation 4 it is!! I think? Does Playstation have a Microsoft Live equivalent do you know???

for all round entertainment people will say xbox one, but I hate the way they called it the ONE because its not an all in one entertainment console, its an all in ONE system for the USA but for EU its really only half way their.
    Sky go has not been announced for the xbox one yet, but apparently it will be on the ps4 this summer http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2014/sky_go_and_now_tv_to_join_playstation4_this_summer

yup your son most probably will want a game off a different console a week later, thats the problem with exclusives and most people have this dilemma :pac: but you said he likes minecraft and little big planet and the console and the ps4 will give you the most out of all round entertainment for now
    so in my opinion for your situation the ps4 would be the best choice

really its all up to you
    your son is only 8 :)

"really its all up to you
    your son is only 8 :)"

HA!!! If only that were true!!! lol

Thanks so much for your help, i'll let you know what I (he) decides on :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thread has served it's purpose.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement