Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a wormer for cats that can be put in food?

• 11-06-2014 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I use Advocate on our cats but since it doesn't cover all worms I got some milbemax. They love tinned red salmon so I ground up each of the tablets, disolved them in the brine from the salmon then mixed in some flaked up salmon, but of course none of them will touch the salmon now:rolleyes: Just to note, they were in seperate bowls not 3 pills in one bowl.

Obviously they can smell it and they aren't going to eat it so I can write off this attempt and try something else. Can anyone recommend a different wormer that might be easier to get into them. Popping a pill in their mouths just isn't feasible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Everyone on the RAW forums/pages on FB use diatomaceous earth as a wormer but I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Profender spot on? Though I prefer milbemax, and it's quite a small easy tablet. If they smell that in food they'll probably smell anything else you try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I wouldn't touch that as a wormer at all.

Pumpkinseeds you could try mixing parazole through something particular pungent, like mashed sardines in tomato sauce. A tip is to store the parazole in the fridge as the chill reduces the taste a bit. Not that parazole is particularly yok - it's pretty bland. You might have to make your kitties skip a meal for them to be hungry enough to dig in. And an accurate weight and a dosing syringe - adult dosage is 1ml per kg bodyweight.

Another trick that I use is to tempt the cat with little rolled up strips of ham. Just give the little ham parcel on its own at first. They should gobble it. Then on the third go, sneak the milbemax in there with the ham rolled around it. If they are already salivating over the ham, they should gobble that down too without even tasting the tablet. Usually works like a charm! To be extra sure it goes down the hatch, put a dab of Philadelphia in the middle of the roll. Most cats go mad for it. And when time comes to give the roll of ham with the tablet hidden it, the sticky Philadelphia will help keep the tablet in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

My furball is wise to every tactic I used for tablets so now I use profender spot-on. No more stress for anyone involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I meant to say as well that Droncit do a spot-on for cats to cover just tapeworm. That is an option for you but if using in addition to Advocate it gets pricey I think. I haven't seen the Droncit spot-on in any of the vets here but you can easily order it from www.vetuk.co.uk and if you use Parcel Motel the delivery charge is okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I would agree with boomerang we have a little stray visiting us for a few weeks for food what else
    noticed a very distended stomach at a guess I was pretty sure she/he wasn't pregnant so mixed some parazole and estimated a weight with some lukewarm milk with a bit of salmon mixed in result we now have a very normal looking visitor who is starting to come in to the doorstep it looks like we may have a new addition quite soon haven't told the wife yet as that would make 5dogs and 2 cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Mine are so paranoid about any food that's out of the ordinary. Felix has had so many pills sneaked into his food now that he's wary of the slightest change. Jazzy is just ridiculously paranoid, in some ways he's never lost his feral wariness. I'll have to try giving the cream cheese on it's own first then sneak the meds in at another stage.

Of course 3 like ham and 1 doesn't, 1 likes cheese the other 3 don't. I've managed to get stuff into jazzy in Primula cheese before, it comes in a tube with ham in it and he seems to like that, sometimes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+1 on something very stinky - tuna (in oil!), sardines etc. Even a cheapy pouch food may work, it is only once in a while and a treat. Even (as already mentioned) cream cheese, or something sticky to cover it could do the trick.

Also, maybe delay the feed or skip the previous meal - if they are hungry and presented with something particularly smelly/tasty they are less likely to question motives! (some are wiser than others ;))

Advertisement