Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up my own business and grants

Options
  • 11-06-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

hi all, ive recently become unemployed and am thinking of opening up my own business. Is there a grant i can avail of to help me to set up my business, money for advertising, supplies and so fort? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Make an appointment with your LEO(Enterprise board) or register for one of their "Start your own business" courses.

They will advise you if grants are available in your field.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

What type of business ? Very few business start ups are grant eligible.
    If you cannot make a business work and finance it without 'grants' you have not a viable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do the course if available, talk to county enterprise board, leader / anyone else in your area...
    But be prepared to take all with a pinch of salt ... (might suit/might not)
    Be aware that funding given may be to get you a level of accreditation/inspection /traceability that you don't need starting off ,but will give you shedloads of paperwork ...
    Or it may suit your enterprise to the ground but dont run before you can walk just to get a grant...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Here is how to find out what is available to you from the comfort of your own computer https://www.localenterprise.ie/Discover-Business-Supports/Supporting-SMEs-Online-Tool/

The moderators had promised to put such links in a new sticky but no luck so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Thanks for this.

There is already a sticky for such links. I have updated it and also added your link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297401

Regards

dbran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

dbran wrote: »
    Thanks for this.

There is already a sticky for such links. I have updated it and also added your link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297401

Regards

dbran

With respect, the top sticky is grossly out of date with lots of links to defunct programmes and useless bodies such as IBEC and as the links have no item narrative it would only be of use to someone who knows exactly what they are looking for!!

In fairness, it was actually Axwell who undertook to update/modernise it!!

P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Same with that looking for website or webiste advice sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 1 John ACA

You might wish to consider the Seed Capital Scheme, which is aimed at individuals in PAYE type employment wishing to set up and take employment in their own business.

The Scheme provides for a refund of tax paid under the PAYE system when that individual makes an investment in a qualifying company.

Alternatively, there are a number of allowances/grants available to unemployed individuals wishing to start there own business. Your local enterprise broad will provide assistance in connection with these allowances/grants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

pedronomix wrote: »
    In fairness, it was actually Axwell who undertook to update/modernise it!!

P :)

I did indeed, and I shall once I have the time to sit down for a few hours and do so. Unfortunately boards doesnt pay my bills, or anything for that matter since we do it voluntarily so such things have to wait till I have the free time to sit down and go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

thanks for all the help people, greatly appreciated :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement