Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychic/Mediums!

• 11-06-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I've a few friends who regularly visit 'Mediums' - years ago I would have laughed at this - but have to say in recent years, and with regard to certain Mediums that they have in common that they have visited - I'm now curious! There were too many personal details that they spoke of that they could NOT have known about ......!

Comments

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    I've a few friends who regularly visit 'Mediums' - years ago I would have laughed at this - but have to say in recent years, and with regard to certain Mediums that they have in common that they have visited - I'm now curious! There were too many personal details that they spoke of that they could NOT have known about ......!

Look up Cold Reading, and look up Suggestion.

There are no such things as psychics, I promise you. Only the deluded and frauds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

This is how they do it...

It's actually a fairly easy trick once you practice it a bit. Can be handy in sales!

Anyway, it's all BS - nobody knows the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I predict...... You will not find any posters agreeing with you..

Also your aunt wants to have word over that tenner you borrowed before she died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I knew you were going to start this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

I knew this thread was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

I knew you were going to start this thread.

I knew somebody would beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Barrel full of fish? Check.
    Loaded shotgun? Check.

AHer's do your worst.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    This is how they do it...

It's actually a fairly easy trick once you practice it a bit. Can be handy in sales!

Anyway, it's all BS - nobody knows the future.

But it wasn't the future they were talking about - it was 'communicating' with recent deceased loved ones! Was very comforting to my friends - but again, I will say they knew things that only the families knew - it was very unusual and hard to believe!?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

nullzero wrote: »
    Barrel full of fish? Check.
    Loaded shotgun? Check.

AHer's do your worst.

What's the point? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have a jar of tasty reggae sauce in my fridge. I know it will give me more runs than Brian Lara but I still put it on my salad this evening.

Psychic or stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

A newspaper editor found that downsizing was required so he had to sack a few of his workers, one of whom was the paper's psychic column writer.

He brought them in one at a time to break the bad news and when the psychic came in the editor said: "as you no doubt already know............." :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

People go to those people wanting to believe whatever they're told. They don't want to be seen to be gullible or easily led, especially after handing over hard cash for it, so they'll give credence to stuff that has been cold read to them and apply it to things in their life that have happened. If it was harmless fun that was free, I'd say fine, let them at it. But there's a whole forum on this site of people falling over themselves trying to find the "best" medium so that they can line their pockets while being conned. I despise those people for preying on what are very often desperate or vulnerable customers who have abandoned logic and common sense for whatever reason.

Zaph wrote: »
    People go to those people wanting to believe whatever they're told. They don't want to be seen to be gullible or easily led, especially after handing over hard cash for it, so they'll give credence to stuff that has been cold read to them and apply it to things in their life that have happened. If it was harmless fun that was free, I'd say fine, let them at it. But there's a whole forum on this site of people falling over themselves trying to find the "best" medium so that they can line their pockets while being conned. I despise those people for preying on what are very often desperate or vulnerable customers who have abandoned logic and common sense for whatever reason.
    fun is never free :p

But it wasn't the future they were talking about - it was 'communicating' with recent deceased loved ones! Was very comforting to my friends - but again, I will say they knew things that only the families knew - it was very unusual and hard to believe!?

It's hard to believe because it's not true.

No matter how significant the 'details' they gave from family members, of course the disembodied spirit of some dead relative isn't giving cryptic messages to a total stranger to pass on from beyond the grave. It preposterous to even consider it a possibility.

Why would you or anyone consider that to be a more likely scenario than the use of visual and verbal micro clues to deduce what it is that a sitter wants to hear? Why are ghosts and spirits and all manner of supernatural shenanigans more believeable? Because thats what people want to believe.

Not because its real, not because it's proven, but because it helps. And that's what makes these so-called psychics nothing more than exploitative frauds.

Candie wrote: »
    It's hard to believe because it's not true.

No matter how significant the 'details' they gave from family members, of course the disembodied spirit of some dead relative isn't giving cryptic messages to a total stranger to pass on from beyond the grave. It preposterous to even consider it a possibility.

Why would you or anyone consider that to be a more likely scenario than the use of visual and verbal micro clues to deduce what it is that a sitter wants to hear? Why are ghosts and spirits and all manner of supernatural shenanigans more believeable? Because thats what people want to believe.

Not because its real, not because it's proven, but because it helps. And that's what makes these so-called psychics nothing more than exploitative frauds.

but in all fairness Candie, would you spend a winters night alone in a haunted house?

be honest now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you as many people do believe in an afterlife then communicating with it doesn't seem like a stretch.
    Not sure of the point of it though even on the off chance that it was real,life is for the living as they say better to not dwell on the dead.

Hitchens wrote: »
    but in all fairness Candie, would you spend a winters night alone in a haunted house?

If I believed that houses could be haunted I probably wouldn't, but since I don't...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I went to one a couple of years ago. Waste of money.

She knew I had a 'baby'. At the time I thought she was brilliant cause I would call my dog baby.

But look up cold reading. Now how many people have 'babies'? Even men and their cars can be their pride and joy and be their babies. So of course everyone has a 'baby' whether in human form or not.

I went to one a couple of years ago. Waste of money.

She knew I had a 'baby'. At the time I thought she was brilliant cause I would call my dog baby.

But look up cold reading. Now how many people have 'babies'? Even men and their cars can be their pride and joy and be their babies. So of course everyone has a 'baby' whether in human form or not.

my baby left me, and found a new place to dwell :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Only Whoopi Goldberg can communicate with the dead, everyone knows that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

A friend of mine was really into these and kept telling me to go (as a skeptic), I absolutely refused to for ages as I've had a strong interest in mentalism and I know how they do it. He said that this one will tell me things that she couldn't possibly know so I said fair enough, but I'm going to record the whole thing to disect it after.

Apparently recording it is strictly prohibited, riiiight, I wonder why. I never went in the end. Bunch of scammers, I feel sorry for the people who believe them and get dragged in by it all. Wasting their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Its worth noting that there are many mediums who do readings for free. I know for sure in England, you can go to a "Spiritualist" church and have a reading at no charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

This is my first exposure to anything Derren Brown and it's fantastic

I love how he is so open about saying what he does is an illusion and people willingly agree to be deceived for entertainment. We want to believe.

He is a firm supporter of those who want to expose frauds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Its worth noting that there are many mediums who do readings for free. I know for sure in England, you can go to a "Spiritualist" church and have a reading at no charge.

Yay!! Free Bullshit!

I love Derren Brown.

There's also the James Randi Challenge. In 1964, magician, pseudoscience debunker, and fraud exposer James Randi offered a challenge to any psychic or medium who would take part in a challenge that demonstrated their ability under controlled scientific conditions. If they took part in the challenge and their 'ability' was proven, they would walk away with $1million.

It still stands unclaimed, even after more than 1000 people were confident enough to take part in it.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

If I was a 'real' psychic, I'd be dying to show the world how genuine I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jeefff

If I went to a medium and was told
    'your granda is here 'Paddy', he wants me to tell you you're a lickarse gob****e'
    I'd bow down and accept that mediums are real and there was infact an afterlife..

If I went and heard 'theres an older man here, he says he loves you'
    I'd spit in the mediums face

What makes me more upset is how terrified people are of death that they believe any aul shyt to help them sleep at night, and flock to see these disgusting frauds, faking modesty by asking for a donation instead of having a fixed price, that only makes people think they're more honest, and inevitibly give them more than recommended price.. Fcuk off you evil cnuts

OMG, then it must be real!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I believe they are vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Candie wrote: »
    I love Derren Brown.

If I was a 'real' psychic, I'd be dying to show the world how genuine I was.

Ah but there is suppossed to be humble and meek, and not show their miracles openly, only to those deep enough it in.

Dylan Moran:

I only get annoyed when they try and make me see the fairy. “You have to let the fairy into your heart.” Look, I wouldn’t let him into my garden, okay? I’d shoot him on sight, if he existed, which he doesn’t. Now have a biccie

Religion,
    Homeopathy,
    etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

My niece went to a medium a few days ago and was told things that didn't make sense at all to her until she related this information to my mother and my mother explained what it meant.

She (the medium) also mentioned a specific name to my niece and was spot on with her information about this person.

I understand the cold reading thing but how can you get information out of a person which they themselves don't know?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Splendour wrote: »
    My niece went to a medium a few days ago and was told things that didn't make sense at all to her until she related this information to my mother and my mother explained what it meant.

She (the medium) also mentioned a specific name to my niece and was spot on with her information about this person.

I understand the cold reading thing but how can you get information out of a person which they themselves don't know?!

Sounds like you really don't understand cold reading

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jeefff

I'm getting a J.. Ja.. Jane ah it's Janet..
    Does that name mean anything to you? If not go ask your mother, if not pop into your neighbour, if not ask your grocer ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You don't. You throw out general stuff, and hope something sticks, then progress with it from there. In this case, she threw out stuff that wasn't working, but the person getting the reading went and told people about the reading. Chances are that at least one person would know someone dead by that name.

Watch as I read your spirits:

I see someone elderly, at least I think they're elderly, they have very light white or silver hair. They seem happy and are looking over you. They're giving me an m... mary or maeve I think.

Okay, now I guarantee you that if you don't know someone by that name, but tell enough people, youll most likely find someone who knew an old maeve or mary, with light white or silver hair. I guarantee it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I have a jar of tasty reggae sauce in my fridge. I know it will give me more runs than Brian Lara but I still put it on my salad this evening.

Psychic or stupid?

I also had a salad this evening...spooky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How do you know a Psychic/Medium is pulling a con? ... They stick their palm out.

Ba da dish? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

COYVB wrote: »
    You don't. You throw out general stuff, and hope something sticks, then progress with it from there. In this case, she threw out stuff that wasn't working, but the person getting the reading went and told people about the reading. Chances are that at least one person would know someone dead by that name.

Watch as I read your spirits:

I see someone elderly, at least I think they're elderly, they have very light white or silver hair. They seem happy and are looking over you. They're giving me an m... mary or maeve I think.

Okay, now I guarantee you that if you don't know someone by that name, but tell enough people, youll most likely find someone who knew an old maeve or mary, with light white or silver hair. I guarantee it

General stuff is one thing and I get that; as a teen I went to a 'fortune teller' and this was how she operated. However, in my niece's case she didn't understand what the medium was saying to her as my niece had never heard of the incident that was mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Hitchens wrote: »

I would.

Well, if there was some incentive or reason to bother.

The results are either (1) cold boring night alone (see incentive). or (2) appearance of ghost and positive confirmation for myself of supernatural/afterlife.

Imagine that, you actually see/interact with a real ghost, and know yourself to be lucid and not tripping or dreaming.

(And not being the victim of a Japanese game show)

Life has completely changed for you, the dreary shadow of death that haunted your life with ... one of those egg timer things....has now been replaced by a disco-ball.

I'd like to think that if myself or anyone out there publicly claiming (for profit) to possess psychic abilities that they would go to great efforts to attract the attention of scientists.

If I had psychic abilities I'd be camped outside Harvard or MIT even if it meant eating scraps, the changes it could bring to humanity would be worth the sacrifice.

And thats what the likes of tv psychics et al should be doing. Voluntarily submitting to any available conceivable related test, not getting commission on a tv psychic phone in.

Two conclusions for such folks - a)full of sht .... or ..... b)extremely self centered, could have changed the history of humanity by going to pains to conduct any reasonable test but chose to work the 2am slot on itv6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

A couple of people I know have gone to a psychic. Regardless of whether you believe in it or not, why would you want to know anything about your future?

Also it didn't do much good, she told a friend his girlfriend would hurt him. She then told his female friend in her separate session the same thing … did either of them do anything about it? No. You either spent 50 squid on something you don't believe in or you spent 50 quid on something you did believe in and proceeded to ignore it. So … what was the point?

The girlfriend did actually cheat on him, make of that what you will, either way - waste of 50 quid

• Advertisement

General stuff is one thing and I get that; as a teen I went to a 'fortune teller' and this was how she operated. However, in my niece's case she didn't understand what the medium was saying to her as my niece had never heard of the incident that was mentioned.

Your neice didn't need to understand or know anything, telling people would turn a vague pitch into a solid hit eventually. I'd love to know what she was ACTUALLY told, as in, what hasn't been embellished after the mother turned it into a hit. Usually people have a habit of changing memories to suit, eg:

Medium misses with: Josephine who died in the accident says don't worry about the fight.

The mark doesn't register it as a hit so the medium moves on. Mark goes home and tells a few people, initially, what was actually said. Eventually the hit kinda fits with someone.

Third party: Your great aunt was a josephine and there was a big falling out in the camp about money before she died.

Mark rejigs memories of reading to become "psychic told me that my great aunt josephine who had the fight about the money for the house before she died said everything is okay. I never even knew I had a great aunt Josephine until I told my mother"

Which then gradually becomes more and more detailed with the retellings of the story. And the people retelling the story to others absolutely insist that that's definitely what happened, embellishing the story more themselves.

End result is that the psychic new all kinds of details that they never actually said, from what they presumed was a missed hit.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    she told a friend his girlfriend would hurt him...

...The girlfriend did actually cheat on him

The reader played the odds on that one. Hurt is a very broad term

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm just glad they choose to use their powers for good and entertainment, If I had of been blessed with the psychey I would be tempted to use it to control the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Anyone remember that Derek Acorah chap? He was pretty big at one point and then he got found out and revealed to be a fraud.

Here's the story about how it occurred
    In 2005, Ciarán O'Keeffe(Most Haunted), who plays the sceptic on the show told The Mirror that he had been feeding Acorah misinformation to which Acorah later responded during the filmings, such as presenting himself as being possessed by the spirit of the fictional character O'Keeffe had made up whose name was an anagram of "Derek faker

Later on Derek did a program where he tried to contact Michael Jackson after he died. I saw it shown on Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2009 or 2010(can't remember which it was)

Guy is lowest of the low I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Claudette

FunLover18 wrote: »
    A couple of people I know have gone to a psychic. Regardless of whether you believe in it or not, why would you want to know anything about your future?

Also it didn't do much good, she told a friend his girlfriend would hurt him. She then told his female friend in her separate session the same thing … did either of them do anything about it? No. You either spent 50 squid on something you don't believe in or you spent 50 quid on something you did believe in and proceeded to ignore it. So … what was the point?

The girlfriend did actually cheat on him, make of that what you will, either way - waste of 50 quid

If you consider that the majority of relationships are not 'forever after' and split up at some point, it's reasonable to assume the odds are definitely in favour of the guys girlfriend being a source of hurt sooner or later. Ditto his female friend.

Pretty safe bet to tell them that. Psychics are all about playing the odds and safe bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I love when this topic comes up in forums where you can be honest about the subject.

:D

Mediums. As if there wasn't enough natural stupid in the world, people have to go and make sh1t up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It's just a form of entertainment, albeit a fairly pandering one. My mam is fairly into it. I remember her being in my aunts while her and some friends were getting a reading by someone who would be fairly well known. My mam wasn't paying but this guy pulled her aside, ,he told her about my brothers illness (actually named him) told her he was in the midst of some serious trouble (which he was), mentioned his new tattoo (he had just gotten his daughters name tattood on is arm). He took my brothers number and rang him to give him a "reading" free of charge.

He may not have been psychic, but he was one hell of a cold reader.

I wonder if people really think through what they're saying when they talk about psychics though.

"I don't believe that medium is reading my body language and my linguistic tics to determine if she or he is hitting the mark, no indeed. That's too far-fetched. What I really believe is that the free-floating consciousness of what used to be my granny is feeding information about...eh...my dogs name....to this person, via the medium of mind-melding. Because telling me my dogs name is crucial to my believing my granny is still looking after me and that death is not the end'

Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's just a form of entertainment, albeit a fairly pandering one. My mam is fairly into it. I remember her being in my aunts while her and some friends were getting a reading by someone who would be fairly well known. My mam wasn't paying but this guy pulled her aside, ,he told her about my brothers illness (actually named him) told her he was in the midst of some serious trouble (which he was), mentioned his new tattoo (he had just gotten his daughters name tattood on is arm). He took my brothers number and rang him to give him a "reading" free of charge.

Or had been in the same house as ladies who were talking about their friend's son. He would have been an interesting topic, I'm sure...

Or eavesdropper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement