Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty cooking rice?

• 11-06-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Any time I cook rice it is always too hard. It says on the side to simmer it for 7 minutes but its never cooked for me after this. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cook it for longer...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

One cup of rice to two cups of water/stock, bring to the boil then put on lowest heat for 10 minutes with lid on. Works a treat for white basmati or long grain rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The only way to cook rice: Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm loving Tescos par boiled basmati rice lately. Because it's par boiled most of the starch is gone out of it and it cooks quicker. Just boil it until soft then I rinse it with a kettle of boiling water to get rid of any remaining starch. You're left with perfectly cooked rice that's not all stuck together and mushy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

millie35 wrote: »
    One cup of rice to two cups of water/stock, bring to the boil then put on lowest heat for 10 minutes with lid on. Works a treat for white basmati or long grain rice.

This is how I cook it too.

And no touchey the rice while it's cooking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wash the rice well with cold water in a sieve

Put 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups cold water in a pot. Season with salt and pepper

Simmer until all the water has been absorbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What is the reasoning behind the absorption method? I just use copious amounts of water, simmer for approx 10 minutes, and drain. For me, most times the absorption method results in a layer of stuck on rice grains on the bottom of the pan, which isn't good for marital relations as SWMBO is the one doing the washing up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    What is the reasoning behind the absorption method? I just use copious amounts of water, simmer for approx 10 minutes, and drain. For me, most times the absorption method results in a layer of stuck on rice grains on the bottom of the pan, which isn't good for marital relations as SWMBO is the one doing the washing up :D

With the absorption method the rice retains some flavour.
    American long grain doesn't have much flavour regardless of how it's cooked.
    Thai rice (sometimes labelled as fragrant or jasmine rice) has a lovely flavour if cooked by this method, as does basmati.
    I also love Japanese sushi rice for its flavour.

Wash the rice. Add 1.5 volume water to 1 volume rice. Cover. Bring to boil. Stir carefully once. Reduce heat to lowest setting. Leave on heat, untouched for 10 - 12 minutes. Ideally, leave to stand off the heat for 5 - 10 minutes, covered. Serve.
    I never add salt. Do it afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

I steam in my colander, after rinsing put colander on top of saucepan and the saucepan lid on top of rice in colander, fork it once halway through, no more sludgey rice or rice stuck to bottom of saucepan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Have you no room for a rice cooker? Has a little line on the side for water fill level. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Alun wrote: »

rest the rice with the lid off for 5 mins.the layer at the bottom is very soft now and won't be stuck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Wash the rice. Add 1.5 volume water to 1 volume rice. Cover. Bring to boil. Stir carefully once. Reduce heat to lowest setting. Leave on heat, untouched for 10 - 12 minutes. Ideally, leave to stand off the heat for 5 - 10 minutes, covered. Serve.
    I never add salt. Do it afterwards.

This.
    But I'd normally fluff the rice up gently with a fork after resting off heat as above, 5-10 min or so, then cover again and stand for another 5 min. The bottom won't stick for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Chicken fried cauliflower rice

4 strips Bacon
    1/2 lb Chicken breasts or thighs, skinless boneless
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup Carrot
    1 head Cauliflower
    2 cloves Garlic
    1 tbsp Ginger
    2 Green onions
    4 oz Mushrooms
    1 Onion, small
    1/2 cups Peas
    3 tbsp soy sauce

Heat the pan over medium-high heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 3-5 minutes
    Add the chicken and stir-fry until cooked, about 5 minutes.
    Add the onion and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 minutes before adding the carrot and peas and stir-frying for another 3 minutes.
    Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
    Add the cauliflower rice, mix everything up and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
    Make a well in the middle of the pan, add the eggs and let them sit for a minute before mixing them into everything and stir-frying for another 3 minutes.
    Mix in the mixture of the soy sauce, chili sauce, sesame oil and green onions, remove from heat and enjoy.

to make the cauliflower rice, cook your cauliflower until tender, and push it through a ricer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

All of the above.

The key bits... washing the rice. Until the water is clear.

Allow rice to soak, 2:1 two of water to one of rice,

Occasional sir, wooden spoon ,,,,

the important part, use your judgement ,,,

Serve with a splash of Soy sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement