Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will Win the World Cup?

• 11-06-2014 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Poll to Follow

Who will win the World Cup Brazil 2014 510 votes

Brazil
    0%
    Spain
    17%
    byteSeanehPaulwDempseythe whole year innZaphskywalkerneacy69blobertmoneymadUnitedIrishmanNalz[Deleted User]BFassassinrobryanFrisbeenamloc1980KingdomYidrossie1977Moneymaker 87 votes
    Argentina
    10%
    FenixSuprSijaggiebunnetUnearthlybohsmanfranmanPro. FgoodolegillironictoasterdmigsymagentisJohnerKristopherusDBIrelandDancormenoscemoGonzovisionKirbySantryRedDeeper Blue 51 votes
    Colombia
    28%
    PiESkySterCorben Dallasjanklee_baby_simmsmobbyStringLimestone1bassyrokBluefoamSir OxmanDoctorEdgeWildBernsjem[Deleted User][Deleted User]gernonMezcitalassykk 147 votes
    Belgium
    0%
    TöpherpatsyrockemexiledelbowsRojiblancosAlanhooly 5 votes
    Uruguay
    2%
    pogcicachupacabraneil_hoseyLamper.sffcSparks43TheSegalderfderfRobbingBanditNolarshju6LiordiOneEightSeven 12 votes
    Switzerland
    1%
    Panthrorob3160ph0rce0HunchbackTimmyctcJoe primChip WhitleyHotale.com 8 votes
    Netherlands
    0%
    secmantom tit tot 2 votes
    Italy
    6%
    DoodeewingnutPappacharlieMr.Ploughbarney4001DammernookieIwasfrozenchewedFuhrerjohnny_doylecelticcrashBiffo The BareHellboundIRLwexiethebostoncrabChloeEllaPictureFrameWesc.Pie Man 33 votes
    England
    2%
    Liam90Jesus WeptBlazerDecuc500The_Kew_TourVudgiepablo128Gringo180kksaintsdundalkfc10breffni bogballerSmithwicks ManJames2nd030802Tedddy 15 votes
    Chile
    1%
    gustafoollaettaalkevFratton FredDozen Wicked Wordsx43r0eyescreamconeStrawberry HillBillyNeesonBusyness1 10 votes
    USA
    1%
    xtal191Kess73That_GuyRollercoasterCrash Bang WallSheepy99markj2009kieran26Kylo Ren 9 votes
    Greece
    0%
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    0%
    Ivory Coast
    0%
    the_monkey 1 vote
    Croatia
    0%
    Kellford 1 vote
    Russia
    0%
    Gaunty 1 vote
    France
    0%
    Ecuador
    3%
    mdwexfordenda1MickerooHigginsJx PyRodiarmuid05BoarHunterblingrhinoSanity_SaviourcintecMeglamoniaseany212121ben.schlomobrianregan09Local_ChapNorth Cork Star 16 votes
    Ghana
    0%
    Mexico
    0%
    diomed 1 vote
    Costa Rica
    0%
    kakiDapics 2 votes
    Germany
    0%
    DonnielightoBobbyPropaneRichardoKhanHotfail.com 4 votes
    Portugal
    19%
    TwoShedsJacksondardozBigConsmackbunnybabyefbKingp35KiithIdbatterimHolstenKJjv20001huge1doriansmithraddoNailzbarry181091DubDaniBummer1234Arthur DaleyRoryMac 100 votes
    Algeria/Honduras/Japan/Iran/South Korea/Australia/Cameroon/Nigeria
    0%
    Pepe LeFritsShagNastiiNewApproachSlipperyPeopleRichard Hillman 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Colombia
    Argentina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Portugal
    Damn I overlooked Germany! The ones I wanted to vote for! Can a mod add Germany and stick Nigeria in with the dross :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

USA
    How many World Cup threads do we really need?

Portugal
    I just wanted to see who people were backing/going for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Colombia
    That_Guy wrote: »

In fairness it's an interesting poll and it's not as if there is anything bigger in football or anything else going on right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Spain

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Spain
    Can't see past Brazil winning on home soil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What else do you propose we talk about? Jack Colbacks move to Newcastle?

EDIT: Wow, didn't notice you were a Toon fan until I posted that. Unintentional :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Spain
    Brazil was my go-to choice, but the more I think about it the more I doubt them. Still gonna with them ahead of Spain and Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Colombia
    The Argies have my vote and my money is on at 4/1.

• Advertisement

Colombia
    The Argies have my vote and my money is on at 4/1.

What about Argies with Messi top scorer? 14/1

Watching MOTD here trying to finalise bets!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Went for Brazil in my work predictor, though I'm not really that confident about it.

Surprised at the lack of Spain votes at this early stage, think they'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the competition.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Colombia
    Got on Argentina to win & Aguero top scorer @ 33/1 a couple of weeks ago. It's gone into 20/1 now so there's been some money on it.

Colombia
    Went for Brazil in my work predictor, though I'm not really that confident about it.

Surprised at the lack of Spain votes at this early stage, think they'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the competition.

They are the only team who can do it from Europe I think but I think it's going to be South American

Colombia
    bantee wrote: »
    Got on Argentina to win & Aguero top scorer @ 33/1 a couple of weeks ago. It's gone into 20/1 now so there's been some money on it.

This was my preferred bet but just can't trust Aguero's fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Colombia
    Soups123 wrote: »
    This was my preferred bet but just can't trust Aguero's fitness

But if he stays fit, himself & Messi will riot against Iran and Nigeria. Arg should at least make it to the semis in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Iran are very well organized and will probably frustrate better teams. I don't think they will be hammered. Plus I expect Argentina to spread the goals around. Is Messi on frees and penos for Argentina?

Portugal
    Oops looks like I missed Portugal too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Colombia
    The more i think about it the more i am starting to lean towards argentina.

Keeper is a grey area but garay is on the back of a treble winning season, zaba and demichellis (if hes a starter) were fairly mainstays in a city double winning side, of course fernandez of napoli could play too. Don't know too much about rojo their lb i believe? Anyways a midfield of masch/gago or biglia and most importantly di maria, whom probably had his best season to date will be very formidable. The attack of messi/aguero/higuian speaks for itself, can also be supplemented by the likes of lavezzi,maxi and palacio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Spain
    Would just about go for Brazil on home soil, but no value there as far as betting is concerned.

Spain are good value IMO. They have the best squad on paper, don't concede much which I feel is essential, a team full of winners and experience and excellent penalty takers (it's common enough to have to win at least one shootout in winning a major tournament and I would back the technique and composure of the Spanish against most teams).

The teams to have won the WC since 94 have conceded 4 goals or less - Italy, Spain and France all conceded a measly 2 en route in their wins.

The name of the game in the WC is don't lose, compared to a domestic league where the emphasis is to win. A tight defence is more important than a strong attack IMO.

The team with the best defence is likely to win IMO.

For me, Spain and Brazil are the two teams capable of conceding less than 0.5 goals per game in 8 matches.

For this reason I would suggest that Germany and Argentina may not win (not writing them off, but not amongst my favorites).

Wouldn't be shocked to see France or Itlay make a run at it - they have the solidness and experience to make themselves very tough to beat and go far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

USA
    Chile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Switzerland
    Italy Brazil final. Brazil to win. Heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Argentina
    klose wrote: »
    The more i think about it the more i am starting to lean towards argentina.

Keeper is a grey area but garay is on the back of a treble winning season, zaba and demichellis (if hes a starter) were fairly mainstays in a city double winning side, of course fernandez of napoli could play too. Don't know too much about rojo their lb i believe? Anyways a midfield of masch/gago or biglia and most importantly di maria, whom probably had his best season to date will be very formidable. The attack of messi/aguero/higuian speaks for itself, can also be supplemented by the likes of lavezzi,maxi and palacio.

I don't agree at all that the midfield looks very formidable at all, easily the weakest midfield of the realistic competitors by a distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Colombia
    If Brazil were not at home, there'd be less support for them winning it.

I think it'll be Argentina, but will still be holding out for Spain. I think the draw has opened up for them, especially if France win Group E. They could be in the quarterfinals having played no-one other than Switzerland or Honduras or Ecuador and Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria. And their group games are in good climates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Argentina
    Going for Spain. I don't think they'll look any good but I just think they have enough to get it down. There's no real standout teams at the mo and they're still the team to beat. Just have a hunch they'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Argentina
    I have put my bet on Spain myself,think they are the best team without doubt on paper and the best unit as well.
    Could see Messi being top scorer and Argentina winning it,think most neutrals would love to see that outcome,would be something to remember seeing possibly the best player ever take down a world cup.

Obviously can't rule out Brazil being on home soil they will be under severe pressure to win,also i think fifa need Brazil to have a good world cup,but i can't get out of my head the confederations cup where they beat Spain in the final although they ran out by a few goals in the end
    i thought they bullied them and got a bit of luck,not sure if they have improved enough or that spain have got that much worse since then.

Would be a bit of a worry the whole Diego Costa thing,hope it doesn't overshadow Spain them being in Brazil he is sure to be getting abuse around the place there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Backed Colombia and Chile myself. Best value on both by a long shot, pity about no Falcao though.

Also backed Vidal top scorer, sucker for the mad bets. :)

Switzerland
    Backed Colombia and Chile myself. Best value on both by a long shot, pity about no Falcao though.

Also backed Vidal top scorer, sucker for the mad bets. :)

Was seconds from putting a not too insubstantial amount on Colombia myself earlier, only stopped when I recalled Falcao's injury. Backing Uruguay and Italy all the way. Don't really think Italy will do it. I just want to make watching Pirlo even more exciting by putting a wedge on Italy <3

Argentina
    Yeah really wanted to see Falcao myself,don't know much about Chile i heard a few rumblings of being a dark horse alright,but it's gonna be difficult for them to get out of that group.

• Advertisement

Argentina
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Was seconds from putting a not too insubstantial amount on Colombia myself earlier, only stopped when I recalled Falcao's injury. Backing Uruguay and Italy all the way. Don't really think Italy will do it. I just want to make watching Pirlo even more exciting by putting a wedge on Italy <3

Backed Italy last time they won it in Germany took down a nice amount,i'd love to again,but hard to back them and i know people will say hes a great footballer and all,but i find it hard to back Italy with them relying on balotelli.
    Just don't see them winning it with balotelli as their main striker just too unreliable to me,they always had their own style but it usually involved a striker u could rely on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Spain's problem is history. No European team has ever won in south America. Spain haven't been eliminated from a main tourney knock out since the world cup in 2006. Looked at that way, they have to be knocked out in some major competition eventually. (Confed cup doesn't really count here)

Argentina haven't looked as formidable lately. I liked them initially under sabella but lately they've been a little bland and predictable.

Brazil, purely because they're hosts are favorites. Anywhere else and they wouldn't be. Hosts of world cups tend to get some extreme performance boosts and rub of the green with officiating.

For the craic though I'm gonna say England. Hodgson's bog ball will make them hard to beat and Spanish clubs cup history is on their side. :pac:

Switzerland
    amkin25 wrote: »
    Backed Italy last time they won it in Germany took down a nice amount,i'd love to again,but hard to back them and i know people will say hes a great footballer and all,but i find it hard to back Italy with them relying on balotelli.
    Just don't see them winning it with balotelli as their main striker just too unreliable to me,they always had their own style but it usually involved a striker u could rely on .

Raging Di Natale retired. He outscored all of the Italian strikers (barring one i think) that are going to the world cup and he is a joy to watch. Don't like Balotelli myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Spain
    I think the semis will come down to the four strongest teams; Brazil vs Germany and Spain vs Argentina. From there I suppose anyone could win it, but fancy Brazil vs Spain final myself. Germany will miss Reus and a proper centre forward, and Argentina are weak at the back. If it came down to Brazil and Spain it would be hard to say but I'd like to see Brazil win it on their home soil, although Spain winning 4 major tournaments in a row would be phenomenal.

Looking forward to seeing all the teams play for the first time.

Argentina
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Spain's problem is history. No European team has ever won in south America. Spain haven't been eliminated from a main tourney knock out since the world cup in 2006. Looked at that way, they have to be knocked out in some major competition eventually. (Confed cup doesn't really count here)

Argentina haven't looked as formidable lately. I liked them initially under sabella but lately they've been a little bland and predictable.

Brazil, purely because they're hosts are favorites. Anywhere else and they wouldn't be. Hosts of world cups tend to get some extreme performance boosts and rub of the green with officiating.

For the craic though I'm gonna say England. Hodgson's bog ball will make them hard to beat and Spanish clubs cup history is on their side. :pac:

But i think if you go by history then you would have had to rule them out of the last world cup on the basis they had never won a world cup until then.
    I think this Spain team is special and we might see them do a double and take this one too,international teams rarely play in the same fluid manner this Spain team does,as they don't get the time together to gel properly.
    They also have an amazing array of midfielders better than anyone at this world cup easily,if their strikers can do the business they will be hard to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Chile
    England. Not a snowballs chance in Hell but still. It's our year, possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Portugal
    Surprised Germany ain't got more votes, just have a sneaky feeling they will show their true class and go the whole way. They are my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Colombia
    Heart says Argentina, head says Spain. Would make an awesome final, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Italy
    Netherlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Portugal
    I think there's too much support for Brazil just because they are the home nation , they are under a lot of pressure from fans to perform and judging by their results in the warm ups I'm not all that impressed they can win it. I'm also not sure on Neymar , poor season at Barca and I don't think he is ready to take the world cup by storm...not this one anyway..

Germany for me , I know a European team has never won in south america but the last WC in soutch america was in the 70's, football has changed since then...they have a very strong side with debt and argueably the strongest midefield, they could field 2 x sets of teams and still look a solid side my only worry for them is a striker although Klose is a legend he is aging and Podolski isn't a star...Imagine Mueller will play up top mostly. So yeah, I'm going with Germany..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Algeria/Honduras/Japan/Iran/South Korea/Australia/Cameroon/Nigeria
    Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

USA
    It's going to be Chile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Portugal
    Portugal.

Not without a fully fit Ronaldo and even then I think getting a quarter final place is the best they do. You can't depend on a one man team anymore, the Maradona day's of lore are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Portugal
    Biggest bet of my life put on Argentina to top their group. 2/9

I'm hoping it'll come in and cover the rest of my bets

Portugal
    I voted for Germany.

Germany Spain final. You heard it her first.

Germany to beat Spain in the final is 40/1

• Colombia
    Keno wrote: »
    It's going to be Chile.

Worth a punt E/W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ivory Coast
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Just to be the only one backing them - so far :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Argentina
    Spain.

Think Brazil will bottle it as will Neymar. Argentina have a questionable defence barring the mighty Zabaleta at RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ivory Coast
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Spain.

Think Brazil will bottle it as will Neymar. Argentina have a questionable defence barring the mighty Zabaleta at RB.

Impossible.

Spain can't win it ... no way they are winning 4 tournaments in a row -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Colombia
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Spain.

I don't think it's that questionable. They have one of the better defences in the tournament. Garay is a good defender and Fernandez, Demichelis and Camagnaro are also very capable defenders. They're weak at left back and I don't like Romero in goals. I know Banega has been useless this season but it's still a huge mistake not to bring him becuase if Gago goes down then Argentina will be in big trouble.

My other worry is how will the three man midfield with Di Maria hold up against better sides? I'm not sure that's a system that can win the World Cup with the personnel involved. They also have a pretty weak bench bar Lavezzi.

Portugal
    Di mariAs best position is in a 3 man midfield.

It's how he got his move to real.

And where he played this year in his best season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement