Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will Win the World Cup?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Argentina
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Impossible.

Spain can't win it ... no way they are winning 4 tournaments in a row -

They come in to this as underdogs for some reason. Everyone's harping on about Brazil, Argentina, even Belgium and Chile are being thrown around and yet Spain, the three tournament on the trot winners, are not being mentioned.

Heck, even Germany stand a very, very good chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Colombia
    Di mariAs best position is in a 3 man midfield.

It's how he got his move to real.

And where he played this year in his best season.

I'm not doubting Di Maria's effectiveness there; I'm doubting it's ability to win them the World Cup. I don't think that system will be capable of winning the World Cup. Teams like Spain will tear them up through the middle.

Just to be clear I think Di Maria has been Argentina's best player in that three man midfield for some time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Chile
    England. Not a snowballs chance in Hell but still. It's our year, possibly.

I voted England, seriously didn't think three other people would!

I don't think we are as bad as some make out and there's two or three players that could really shine.

Quarter finals at best though I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ivory Coast
    Everyone is writing England off .. so the pressure is off them , I think ironically this can be a good year for them - winners no, but semis possibly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Switzerland
    Keno wrote: »
    It's going to be Chile.

Better get a jacket so..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Spain
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    They come in to this as underdogs for some reason. Everyone's harping on about Brazil, Argentina, even Belgium and Chile are being thrown around and yet Spain, the three tournament on the trot winners, are not being mentioned.

Heck, even Germany stand a very, very good chance.

Both Spain and Germany are ahead of Belgium in the betting. As a rule European teams don't do well in South America and that is why everyone is harping on about Brazil and Argentina. Brazil, especially, as they are at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Colombia
    I voted Argentina. But having thought more about it, I'm plumping for Spain.

Amazing starting team, no weaknesses in my eyes. A great unit and disgustingly good strength in depth. Not losing a knockout game in 8 years in some record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Spain
    Samba boys for the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Argentina
    Spain for me. They've broken plenty of records already, and should handle the climate a bit better than other European teams.

Brazil the pick of the South American teams for me, they're just that bit more rounded throughout the pitch than Argentina and the others. Home advantage too.

Germany would be the 3rd most likely option then and those are the 3 teams I really see as having a decent shout but it would probably be folly to completely rule Argentina out also, but I don't see them doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It feels more like a Copa America with 23 token USA squads in it. The winner will be from CONMEBOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ecuador
    France. Would love it anyway, but I'm not so sure of the team spirit. A lot could be decided on momentum, a good start could see them storm into contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

glued wrote: »
    I don't think it's that questionable. They have one of the better defences in the tournament. Garay is a good defender and Fernandez, Demichelis and Camagnaro are also very capable defenders. They're weak at left back and I don't like Romero in goals. I know Banega has been useless this season but it's still a huge mistake not to bring him becuase if Gago goes down then Argentina will be in big trouble.

My other worry is how will the three man midfield with Di Maria hold up against better sides? I'm not sure that's a system that can win the World Cup with the personnel involved. They also have a pretty weak bench bar Lavezzi.

You forget Mascherano. Biglia can fill that void as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Argentina
    Knex. wrote: »
    You forget Mascherano. Biglia can fill that void as well.

Mascherano and Biglia are not the sort of players who would typically bring you to World Cup glory, both would be capable of holding their own in roles with a more world class centre midfielder in beside them, but with the 2 of them (or Gago) in behind Di Maria, the Argentinian midfield just looks destined to always lose the battle against the likes of Spain, Germany and Brazil.

Left back is also a huge problem area for Argentina and as much as I think both Garay and Demichelis are fine enough (Garay more so than Demichelis) as centre backs, they don't strike me as a World Cup winning defensive partnership either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Portugal
    The more I look at Spain the more I like them.

Their huge problem is how xavi will do. If his legs are gone they're finished. Not because they do t have enough replacements, they do, but because it will be too late to do anything about it. They'll saunter through the group, one bad game in knockout and they're gone.

I really hope they start Torres up top too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Argentina
    Spain have the best first team and the strongest squad. They've one of the best coaches and an experienced, successful core. They can vary their playing style too if needs be with Costa and Martinez. I just couldn't look past them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Spain
    Brazil for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Netherlands
    Just voted for Swiss.. Blatter will rig it......... the Swiss are going to be the test team for the new "Challenge the ref " rule........ the early edition of this rule will be.... you can bribe the ref..... this part will be sorted out by a FIFA backed investigation to be held in Quatar after the Swiss win the world cup by 10 challenges to nil....... for a mere `10m USD..........paid into a secret Swiss bank account.iunder the name of Bepp Slatter............

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Colombia
    I want and hope it is Argentina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

Argentina
    Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Ecuador
    France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WORRZELL

Colombia
    After that game tonight I can't see brazil doing much in the knock out stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Argentina
    Spain was my pick and have my bet on them,but i wouldn't rule out Brazil on that performance,when France won it in 98 they scraped through every game by the skin of their teeth,then Zidane won the final for them.
    It only takes 7 games to win it and that is one down tonight,6 more to go,and they should improve after being tested so early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Costa Rica
    Viva La Mexico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Portugal
    Been saying it for months and am still sticking with it.

Germany for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Portugal

Their huge problem is how xavi will do. If his legs are gone they're finished. Not because they do t have enough replacements, they do, but because it will be too late to do anything about it. They'll saunter through the group, one bad game in knockout and they're gone.

Spain have the best first team and the strongest squad. They've one of the best coaches and an experienced, successful core. They can vary their playing style too if needs be with Costa and Martinez. I just couldn't look past them.
    Power Gear wrote: »
    Spain
    amkin25 wrote: »
    Spain was my pick and have my bet on them,but i wouldn't rule out Brazil on that performance,when France won it in 98 they scraped through every game by the skin of their teeth,then Zidane won the final for them.
    It only takes 7 games to win it and that is one down tonight,6 more to go,and they should improve after being tested so early on.

Ye know what guys, I never shared your confidence in Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Portugal
    Woot Germany looking good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Spain
    efb wrote: »
    Woot Germany looking good!

The main issue for Germany will be what sort of shape they will be in after the group stages. All of their fixtures are in the hotter parts of the country and all played in the full intensity of the sun. Very clever squad management will be required if they are to go far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Portugal

I called xavi being dropped. Brave decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Not Spain anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

England
    Wouldn't rule out Italy or Belgium who are being very canny on not exerting themselves so far. Interesting to see their next match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Uruguay
    Spain going the way of France in 2002 reigning champions out in the group stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

England
    Surprised at the lack of Spain votes at this early stage, think they'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the competition.
    LOL!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Spain
    Spain going the way of France in 2002 reigning champions out in the group stages.

Same happened to Italy in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Italy
    Voters: 471. You have already voted on this poll

No, I haven't?

Anyways, Netherlands all over it. They have the players, Argentina has just one, Brazil has just one. The Germany 'team' are their only threat.

Advertisement