Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Trip in States less than 90 days

Options
  • 11-06-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any info or previous experience on this. I am currently living and working in Canada, and need to go to The States for around 2 weeks for work. I have an Irish valid passport. I understand that Ireland is one of the countries in the Visa Waiver Program.

Does this mean I can go and work in the States for the 2 weeks without needing any special visa's (my Canadian colleagues need to obtain whats called a TN visa).

Anyone with previous experience doing this?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can travel to the US for business under the visa waiver program for the following purposes, the principal restriction is that you must not be paid by anyone in the US while you are there....
    • consult with business associates
    • attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
    • attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
    • negotiate a contract

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

coylemj wrote: »
    You can travel to the US for business under the visa waiver program for the following purposes, the principal restriction is that you must not be paid by anyone in the US while you are there....
    • consult with business associates
    • attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
    • attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
    • negotiate a contract

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Thanks for the reply. Here's what my situation is, lets say I am a mine engineer and I need to visit a mine and do some work on site. This does not quite fit under any of the above categories does it? Or would this be "consulting with business associates"...??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Thanks for the reply. Here's what my situation is, lets say I am a mine engineer and I need to visit a mine and do some work on site. This does not quite fit under any of the above categories does it? Or would this be "consulting with business associates"...??

Thanks in advance

Who's paying you?

If it's your company in Canada that's going to pay you then I think you're fine.

If the US company is going to pay you then no, you'll need a visa.

Who's paying you?

If it's your company in Canada that's going to pay you then I think you're fine.

The consulting company I work for in Canada are paying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Who's paying you?

You can't 'work' in the US without a visa, even if you are being paid from abroad. This issue comes up with people who work remotely and think they can continue as they are without a visa (for example if accompanying a spouse to the US).

@ OP the fact that the Canadians are getting a TN visa would say to me that this work is one which requires a visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You can't 'work' in the US without a visa, even if you are being paid from abroad. This issue comes up with people who work remotely and think they can continue as they are without a visa (for example if accompanying a spouse to the US).

@ OP the fact that the Canadians are getting a TN visa would say to me that this work is one which requires a visa.

Sorry, you're probably right, I missed the bit about the Canadians getting visas.

Damn!!!! Ok thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks in advance

In the link I sent above, there is a paragraph in the 'Business' section ........ (click the link)...

Learn more about Business Travel to the United States on VWP or using a visitor visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Sorry, you're probably right, I missed the bit about the Canadians getting visas.

Canada isn't part of the VWP though, so that's probably why the Canadians need to get business visas.

I reckon it could come under "meeting with business associates". Probably best to double check it with someone at your office though. HR maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

DM addict wrote: »
    Canada isn't part of the VWP though, so that's probably why the Canadians need to get business visas.

I reckon it could come under "meeting with business associates". Probably best to double check it with someone at your office though. HR maybe?

Canadians don't need visas at all for tourism or business travel to the US. The TN visa is considered similar to a H1b and is only available to Csnadians and Mexicsns as part of the North Americam Free Teade Agreement .

• Advertisement
Advertisement