Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will the breakthrough player at the World Cup?

• 11-06-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭

In 2010 it was Mesut Ozil that every top team wanted to sign who will be that young player in this tournament do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ross Barkley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sterling or barkely

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Ciro Immobile for Italy. He's coming in off the back of a good season and his confidence will be sky high having sealed his big money move to Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Not sure immobile will start. I reckon Italy might rock one up top and if they do it'll be balo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ill go out on a limb and say roger milla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

griezmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

batistuta9 wrote: »
    griezmann

Good shout, with ribery injured he will almost certainly be a starter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Not sure immobile will start. I reckon Italy might rock one up top and if they do it'll be balo.

Hopefully he does as he's had a good season and looks a really exciting player, then again Evil Knievil wouldn't look exciting next to Ballotelli!

He may not start, but I think he's to good an option not to feature if Italy are struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sterling could do what Owen did in '98 or Rooney in '04, if he starts. I really think he's likely be central to anything good England will do in Brazil.

Outside of England, most of the traditionally big teams have quite settled sides now and dont hold many surprises. Perhaps Griezmann will make a splash, now that Ribery is out. Insigne of Italy as well, if he gets a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Drmić.

Oxlade Chamberlain when/if he's fit. On a stormer atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sterling if he's played enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sterling or barkley for me also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Aiden McGeady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Looking forward to seeing kovacic for Croatia tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Looking forward to seeing kovacic for Croatia tomorrow night.

Decent side croatia,but they will be run ragged tomorrow night,can't see any of their players looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Draxler if he gets a game!

Sterling if he doesn't listen to the Hodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Kovacic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Think Chile will do well so will go with Eduardo Vargas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm amused that so many people keep saying Barkley. You have to actually play to be a breakthrough player at a world cup. Beyond maybe a few minutes as a sub, he wont see much of this world cup.

Sterling might see a little more time but we all know Hodgson will pick Welbeck ahead of him if hes fit....so another odd choice from many.

If you simply must pick a Liverpool player (and its this forum....so we must), than Henderson is a much better shout. He's also coming off the back of a good season but the difference is he will probably start more games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would you count Pogba? Already a big name but fairly young and has only recently broken onto the scene at International level, reckon if France do anything he could be the star man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Depay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Januzaj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Not sure if a dude in his 30's could be considered breakthrough but Fred is vastly underrated and I feel like he could be the guy at the tail end of a lot of Brasil's moves popping it in the onion bag. The "breakthrough" for him would be a move back to Europe while he still has a couple of decent years left.
    Maybe more redemption than breakthrough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Would you count Pogba? Already a big name but fairly young and has only recently broken onto the scene at International level, reckon if France do anything he could be the star man.

Personally I feel Valbuena will be the one to watch out for in a blue shirt. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

park, or 'inho ... seriously , varane,sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Serge Aurier for Côte d'Ivoire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

In the absence of Falcao , Columbia's goals have to come from somewhere ... not sure if he counts as "breakthrough" but Jackson Martinez could have a big impact.

• Advertisement

Di maria for breakout superstar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Veratti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Think Chile will do well so will go with Eduardo Vargas.

He was gammy for Valencia this season. Loads of running around, no brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Ill go out on a limb and say roger milla.

What age is he now ? Oh that's right, he can't remember !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Muahahaha wrote: »

Roger is forever young and also a smashing dancer by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm amused that so many people keep saying Barkley. You have to actually play to be a breakthrough player at a world cup. Beyond maybe a few minutes as a sub, he wont see much of this world cup.

Sterling might see a little more time but we all know Hodgson will pick Welbeck ahead of him if hes fit....so another odd choice from many.

If you simply must pick a Liverpool player (and its this forum....so we must), than Henderson is a much better shout. He's also coming off the back of a good season but the difference is he will probably start more games.

Previously I thought the same re: Sterling and Hodgson, but recently Roy has been making a lot of fuss over how good he's been in training and what he has to offer. It could well be Lallana that loses out however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Muahahaha wrote: »

Not sure either but there will probably be a minutes silence for him during the next world cup or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Jordi Clasie & Bruno Martins Indi are two who will become big stars if Holland have a good tournament.

Agree with those who suggested Griezmann & Immobile

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm going with Gotze, 22 years old still, first world cup. Germany only have really two out and out strikers with Klose and Volland so I can see Gotze stepping up and getting goals. He has scored 6 in the last 9 matches and he's played and has been outlined as a key player in the squad so I can see him getting game time. Really looking forward to his performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Despite Spain boasting the greatest riches of any country in midfield, I wouldn't be surprised if Koke forces his way into the side and takes the world by storm. The Atletico maestro looks like the natural successor to Xavi Hernandez in the national team when the time comes, and possibly at club level too. He's got the supreme technical ability, the insatiable engine, the vision and creativity to be the dominating midfield force in football for years to come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aleksander Kokorin is a player I expect to have a big tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Antoine Griezemann , Rakitic.

Lesser known Cuadrado of Colombia, Drmic of Switzerland, Pjanic of Bosnia, Amorim for Portugal.

De Bruyne will outperform Hazard and Mikel will play a lot better than what has been seen at Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Daley Blind, unbelievable performance tonight. Watched him a few times in the Eredivisie. He's relatively unknown but is a very solid defender and his attacking game reminds me of Leighton Baines or Coleman. Cracking player and can play DM aswell. There's plenty of other great, young Dutch players in the team too, Veltman, DeVrij and Clasie are all cracking talents and should emerge at the WC.

Daley Blind, unknown??

Dempsey wrote: »
    Daley Blind, unknown??

The majority of football people I've talked to, never heard of him before tonight. The Eredivisie has some cracking players and is great to watch, but unless you play in a big European league, it's easy to become unknown.

The majority of football people I've talked to, never heard of him before tonight. The Eredivisie has some cracking players and is great to watch, but unless you play in a big European league, it's easy to become unknown.

These days the majority seems to know of fúck all players bar the obvious ones. Daley Blind has been highly rated for yonks, largely i suppose because of his father but nontheless a good player at whatever level he played, but in the last 2 years has been proving himself very well indeed imo

Dempsey wrote: »
    These days the majority seems to know of fúck all players bar the obvious ones. Daley Blind has been highly rated for yonks, largely i suppose because of his father but nontheless a good player at whatever level he played, but in the last 2 years has been proving himself very well indeed imo

Took a while for him to develop, he's 24, but he is already a top class FB, I believe. The talentpool in Holland atm is quite staggering really, plenty of blossoming talents who didn't make the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm going with Gotze, 22 years old still, first world cup. Germany only have really two out and out strikers with Klose and Volland so I can see Gotze stepping up and getting goals. He has scored 6 in the last 9 matches and he's played and has been outlined as a key player in the squad so I can see him getting game time. Really looking forward to his performances.

Gotze is already highly-rated and a Champions League star. Everyone already knows who Gotze is.

Gotze is already highly-rated and a Champions League star. Everyone already knows who Gotze is.

Not to mention a €37m move from one top club to another done already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think that young Robben lad could be handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

A lot of that dutch side based on tonight Blind looked a top player, Vlaa was also outstanding they have at least 3-4 players who could be making big moves to the major leagues after the tournament. Ahmed Musa from Nigeria 21 currently plays for CSKA Moscow saw him a few times extremely quick and a quality player. Ayew for Ghana already rated quite highly but i think he will make a big impact on the Ghana team and if they can get out of the group i think he might be the breakout star for them. Bentaleb only 19 probably the best player in that Algeria squad if he has a good world cup the bigger premier league teams will be itching to sign him. Dzagoev a key man for Russia only 23 could break out like Archavin did in Euro 2008.

• Advertisement
Advertisement