Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will the breakthrough player at the World Cup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Ahmed Musa from Nigeria 21 currently plays for CSKA Moscow saw him a few times extremely quick and a quality player

Ultimate Team legend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Daley Blind

or

Some japanese fella. Every tournament there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dapics wrote: »
    Danny Blind

or

Some japanese fella. Every tournament there is one.

I think Danny Blind be surprised if he is asked to play football again! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Kovacic

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The term breakthrough player is very subjective after wading through this thread.

I'd consider it for someone on the cusp of greatness, taking their game to another level and potentially securing a big money move away from the current club as a result of their performances over the next week or two.

Some of the names mentioned are odd :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Joel Campbell :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »
    Joel Campbell :cool:

great prediction there, you sure you don't want to wait until 22:30 july 13th :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Mario Balotelli.... he's already a great player, just a complete idiot, but that perception could change after this tournament....starting in the next 90 mins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ratracer wrote: »
    Mario Balotelli.... he's already a great player, just a complete idiot, but that perception could change after this tournament....starting in the next 90 mins!

ah no, he's not going to get a doctorate out of it.
    it'll take him more than two weeks to lose the idiot/messer tag, if it's still deserved or not

had a quick glance through the thread again, Di Maria has to be the strangest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ratracer wrote: »

It's in his nature to appear to have turned the corner only to head back round it again - hope he has one of his good games tonight though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

greendom wrote: »
    It's in his nature to appear to have turned the corner only to head back round it again - hope he has one of his good games tonight though

Could be the man of the match tonight, then get arrested and deported for trashing the hotel after it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well impressed by the Italian RB. Damian?

That Peerlo fella is a real go getter!! Expect to see more from him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

My Little Bony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The term breakthrough player is very subjective after wading through this thread.

I'd consider it for someone on the cusp of greatness, taking their game to another level and potentially securing a big money move away from the current club as a result of their performances over the next week or two.

Some of the names mentioned are odd :s
    I was thinking the same thing, kinda expecting people to start mentioning Balotelli and Joe Hart

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jimbo94s

Daley Blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well impressed by the Italian RB. Damian?

Darmian, that was only his second cap against England. His first was against Ireland in Craven Cottage. He did well down that right side which was important since Chiellini was never really going to be storming down the left.

I haven't seen Janmaat mentioned yet. Right back for Feyenoord and Netherlands, he played well versus Spain and was tipped for a transfer before the World Cup. A few more good performances and he might attract more interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Pjanic last night for Bosnia really impressed me. In fact Bosnia overall impressed me, I can see them definitely getting out of that group.

Simply put, the boy has it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

James Rodriguez was great for Colombia the other day, mind you he's already at Monaco so not sure if he's a breakthrough player but i really enjoyed watching him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Joel campbell or paul pogba if they count, Pjanic of Bosnia was very impressive last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I thought Lullic looked a very good player last night, Pjanic also a few of those Bosnia players looked to be quality. Roja for Argentina isn't at a big club wouldn't be surprised if he has a move soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jesus lads, since when are players playing for Roma, Lazio, Monaco and Ajax "unknown".

They play for big teams in some of the biggest leagues in world football.

A breaktrhough player is someone from a lesser known club or league or a young lad getting his chance at a major tournament, not some of the best known and highest rated 20 somethings in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not sure if a dude in his 30's could be considered breakthrough but Fred is vastly underrated and I feel like he could be the guy at the tail end of a lot of Brasil's moves popping it in the onion bag. The "breakthrough" for him would be a move back to Europe while he still has a couple of decent years left.
    Maybe more redemption than breakthrough for him.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ricardo Rodriguez
    Cuadrado
    Sterling
    Dries Mertens
    Blind
    Griezmann

Seaneh wrote: »
    Jesus lads, since when are players playing for Roma, Lazio, Monaco and Ajax "unknown".

They play for big teams in some of the biggest leagues in world football.

A breaktrhough player is someone from a lesser known club or league or a young lad getting his chance at a major tournament, not some of the best known and highest rated 20 somethings in Europe.

The question was who would be the next Ozil, i.e. the player every top club would want to sign, he wasnt unknown before the 2010 WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Ochoa?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Ochoa?

Clubless atm. Former FM legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Question would be how do you define a breakthrough player.

You get a lot of guys who have a great tournament, then transfer to a big club afterwards but never do much thereafter.

A few of these that spring to mind:
    Karel Poborsky
    Asamoah Gyan
    Alexei Lalas
    Phil Babb

Its less common for a truly great talent to emerge at a major tournament. They are usually very well known beforehand. Ozil maybe is an example. The Duffer also, he was a Blackburn player in 2002.

As for who that might be this time round......I really don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd imagine Joel Campbell is one of the breakthrough players at this stage of the World Cup. I watched his season in La Liga and was very surprised when Arsenal sent him off on loan again last season. He seems to have a lot of talent and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I didnt know much about Perisic before this, he's going very well for himself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd imagine Joel Campbell is one of the breakthrough players at this stage of the World Cup. I watched his season in La Liga and was very surprised when Arsenal sent him off on loan again last season. He seems to have a lot of talent and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.
    He's now qualified for a UK work permit so he could be used at Arsenal if Wenger wants him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mkearn15

the italian left back,young fella

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mkearn15 wrote: »
    the italian left back,young fella

De Sciglio?

Beeb playing regularly for one of the biggest clubs in the world for 2 and a half seasons now, including in the Champions League.

Seaneh wrote: »
    De Sciglio?

Beeb playing regularly for one of the biggest clubs in the world for 2 and a half seasons now, including in the Champions League.

You havent made it until you have played in the EPL, those 2 Spanish teams or most recent addition, Bayern Munich...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

I know he's already got his big move but Andre Schurrle has been putting in some great shifts for the Germans and if he got a proper run out I think he could do very well and get onto that next level Chelsea fans want to see him at. People say he needs to be consistent but its hard when he doesnt get regular games. Played very well when he came on for Ozil against Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Serge Aurier, the Ivory Coast attacking right back, has been very impressive. Probably had the best wing play in the tournament so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Muhamed Besic was getting a bit of hype the past few months, the Ferencvaros owner even said he wanted €10m from whatever club signed him. Hype was justified against Argentina and I doubt he will be playing in Hungary much longer. If he plays well in the rest of B&H's games then I think he will be the breakthrough player.

It would be super if he came back to Hamburg. The manager he got in a fight with is gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Emer Valencia

• Registered Users Posts: 25 john moloney

I dont knoow if it would count because there is no secret he is an extraordinary talent but definitely james rodriguez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Aravalo Rios for Uruguay could do well as a holding MF in a bigger club, he is 32 but could see him getting a 2 year deal or something especially with a bottom half PL team. Grizemann will surely be at a bigger club come the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 john moloney

Aravalo Rios for Uruguay could do well as a holding MF in a bigger club, he is 32 but could see him getting a 2 year deal or something especially with a bottom half PL team. Grizemann will surely be at a bigger club come the end of the summer.

I never thought about Rios but he would be a good signing for a recently promoted club. Grizemann is going to be a world class talent and I could imagine PSG or Monaco making a big money offer Real Soceidad couldn't refuse. I think Joel Campbell and Navas deserve a mention from Costa Rica

• Registered Users Posts: 3 madman100

James Rodriguez ..... Colombia.

You read it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

madman100 wrote: »

You read it here first.

Was about to post this . He has had an out standing World Cup .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You read it here first.

Only a matter of time before he makes a big money move....oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I dont knoow if it would count because there is no secret he is an extraordinary talent but definitely james rodriguez

You read it here first.

I think I have heard that one mentioned before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Personally I feel Valbuena will be the one to watch out for in a blue shirt. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.
    This was a good call before the WC began. He has been one of the outstanding players for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Again, breakthrough? Valbuena's been around for the guts of 10 years now, and it's not like he was unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Spray paint

• Advertisement
Advertisement