Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will the breakthrough player at the World Cup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Rodrguez of Switzerland looked a world class player vs Argentina, only 21 as well, I was very impressed with Bradley of the USA, currently playing in Toronto could get a bigger club imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Rodrguez of Switzerland looked a world class player vs Argentina, only 21 as well, I was very impressed with Bradley of the USA, currently playing in Toronto could get a bigger club imo.

Bradley joined Toronto from Roma for $10m!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought Atsu looked impressive for Ghana against Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Dempsey wrote: »
    Bradley joined Toronto from Roma for $10m!

Wow really my bad lol, 10m wouldn't have thought Toronto would have that kind of money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Was very impressed with yedlin of usa last night. Only 20 and could get a transfer to a bigger league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

James Rodriguez from Colombia is my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

limklad wrote: »
    James Rodriguez from Colombia is my vote

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

So.. Who's been the breakthrough player? I can't really think of anyone who came out of the blue this year like Özil did in 2010...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'd agree, now that James is out at just the quarterfinal stage, I think there will be no breakthrough player similar to Ozil....

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Seen this late

I would have said Graham Zuzi of USA

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'd agree, now that James is out at just the quarterfinal stage, I think there will be no breakthrough player similar to Ozil....

How does a €45m player become a breakthrough player of any description?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HSAJT

maybe it's because "he was only part of the Falcao deal" as some people seem to believe

In fairness he's probably the closest thing to one that came out of this World Cup... Even if he wasn't exactly a "breakthrough" player, he certainly proved that he's a world class player.

That Ref

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Fred for me. Good defender from corners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Joel Campbell is the player that best suits the title of this thread. He has been excellent for Costa Rica.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I agree, but I think what I said was perfectly put if I do say so myself :p
    He earned himself a big money to Monaco last summer, but the next week or two will be the making of James Rodriguez. Well, the platform is there for him to do so anyway. That reminds me, I need to put a little something on him as POTT!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90840804&postcount=7

Super talented? Sure. Already had a big money move? Sure. But he never performed consistently and he has now done so on such the biggest stage. He's officially cemented his superstar status.

Going back to the topic... Manolas for Greece for me. Impressed me vs Man U in the CL last season, and has arguably been the best CB I've seen this World Cup. Some big club out there has to purchase him this summer. I hope it's Liverpool.

Hopefully Origi starts tomorrow, because he's impressed me in every game, albeit he's only started the one game. His cameos from off the bench have been superb too.

Musa, Herrera, Giménez and Aránguiz are other notable mentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

As a Newcastle fan I'm a bit pissed off because we will definitely lose him but Mathieu debuchy has shown his class on the world stage. Definite champions league football for him next season methinks 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

All the sneering at people mentiong James Rodrigues is really tiresome. He's 22, hasnt played in one of Europe's major leagues and wasnt even seen as Colombia's key man, with all the focus and attention on his clubmate Falcao. Yes, he moved for silly money to a nouveau riche club, but so did the likes of Witsel, Hulk, Pastore etc, and none of them are world beaters.

He's the first player to score more than 5 goals at a World Cup since Ronaldo in 2002, scoring possibly the goal of the tournament in the process, and is being linked with a £70m+ move to Real Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fair question that I don't have an answer to, apart from the fact that the vast majority of football fans in Ireland have not seen him play more than once or twice I am guessing, before this world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Keylor Navas the Costa Rica keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Torres 50 million
    Hulk 50 million
    Carroll 35 million

Could go on and on. Basically, a players transfer fee shouldn't be used as the determining factor of his ability, especially nowadays when oil tycoons are able to throw cash at clubs like confetti a t weddings . Yeah, it looks like a good bit of business by Monaco but you know the expression, throw enough **** at a wall.......

Fact is, he is playing for the team who finished 2nd in the fifth best league in Europe. On the back of his world cup performances, I suspect he will get a move to one of Europe's elite clubs. That's a breakthrough in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Keylor Navas the Costa Rica keeper.

Already a stand out keeper in la liga. Sid low even dedicated an article to him before the Greek game.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Torres 50 million
    Hulk 50 million
    Carroll 35 million

Could go on and on. Basically, a players transfer fee shouldn't be used as the determining factor of his ability, especially nowadays when oil tycoons are able to throw cash at clubs like confetti a t weddings . Yeah, it looks like a good bit of business by Monaco but you know the expression, throw enough **** at a wall.......

Fact is, he is playing for the team who finished 2nd in the fifth best league in Europe. On the back of his world cup performances, I suspect he will get a move to one of Europe's elite clubs. That's a breakthrough in my eyes.

So much fail in one post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I don't think J-Rod counts either. Rodriguez was already known worldwide at Porto for god's sake never mind at Monaco. And he had an incredible year at Monaco so this World Cup isn't his entire making, although it'll certainly help. I think his teammate Cuadrado is a better fit tbh. He was poor last night but was great over the tournament as a whole and also had a very good season in Italy this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In fairness he's probably the closest thing to one that came out of this World Cup... Even if he wasn't exactly a "breakthrough" player, he certainly proved that he's a world class player.

I don't really know if he has done that just yet.

Torres 50 million
    Hulk 50 million
    Carroll 35 million

Torres, Hulk or Carroll would hardly be breakthrough stars if they had great World Cups either to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Why not pick his argument apart logically rather than just posting something smug like that? The forum would be all the better for t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Soooo by that reckoning Thiago Silva should have moved to an 'elite club' a long time ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Do people actually still say this?

• Advertisement

Fail, good man yourself.

Monaco are not a club that will challenge for the european cup next year. They won't even win their domestic league next year. It's a well known fact that top club managers use the world cup as scouting missions and it's not outrageous or 'fail' to say that James Rodriguez performances in this world cup may have turned the heads of the coaches of Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, in a similar way to how Ozil and Kehdira did in South Africa, which is what the origional poster was getting at in the opening post. Getting a move from Monaco to a club like Real Madrid is a breakthrough in my opinion.

But yeah, glibly reply with your internet buzz words without actually offering anything constructive, good lad.

Fail, good man yourself.

Monaco are not a club that will challenge for the european cup next year. They won't even win their domestic league next year. It's a well known fact that top club managers use the world cup as scouting missions and it's not outrageous or 'fail' to say that James Rodriguez performances in this world cup may have turned the heads of the coaches of Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, in a similar way to how Ozil and Kehdira did in South Africa, which is what the origional poster was getting at in the opening post. Getting a move from Monaco to a club like Real Madrid is the very definition of a breakthrough in football in my eyes.

But yeah, glibly reply with your internet buzz words without actually offering anything constructive, good lad.

Congratulations, you have taken a long standing definition and completely changed it to suit your argument. That is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fail, good man yourself.

Monaco are not a club that will challenge for the european cup next year. They won't even win their domestic league next year. It's a well known fact that top club managers use the world cup as scouting missions and it's not outrageous or 'fail' to say that James Rodriguez performances in this world cup may have turned the heads of the coaches of Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, in a similar way to how Ozil and Kehdira did in South Africa, which is what the origional poster was getting at in the opening post. Getting a move from Monaco to a club like Real Madrid is the very definition of a breakthrough in football in my eyes.

If Falcao doesn't move Monaco have WC players in a lot of positions before they've opened their chequebook significantly this Summer. I wouldn't go ruling them out. That said Falcao will probably go...

CSF wrote: »
    Congratulations, you have taken a long standing definition and completely changed it to suit your argument. That is impressive.

Your some man for taking a person choice of words as a means of debunking their entire arguement, without you know, going through the hassle of actually argueing the points.

To be expected i suppose.

Soooo by that reckoning Thiago Silva should have moved to an 'elite club' a long time ago...

Honestly? Yes, I believe Thiago Silva would be making a step up in class if he moved to a top club in Spain, Germany or even the much maligned EPL.

Your some man for taking a person choice of words as a means of debunking their entire arguement, without you know, going through the hassle of actually argueing the points.

To be expected i suppose.

What?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with some of your points, but unless you've completely altered the term breakthrough star to suit your own ends, this isn't the thread that is appropriate for them.

That Rodriguez may go from a very good team to a great team has no real bearing on this thread.

Honestly? Yes, I believe Thiago Silva would be making a step up in class if he moved to a top club in Spain, Germany or even the much maligned EPL.

Yes. But he wouldn't be a breakthrough star if he had a great World Cup.

CSF wrote: »
    Yes. But he wouldn't be a breakthrough star if he had a great World Cup.

No, but Thiago Silva has proved himself in a better league, as well as the champions league, so of course he wouldn't be a breakthrough star of this world cup. James Rodriguez has not thus far, this world cup would be by a long way the biggest stage hes played on, his apperance as a teenager in the champions league in an average Porto side notwithstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

What (I belive) CSF was pointing out is that arguing with your points is impossible given that you have shifted the discussion onto definitions. In this you've arbitrarily redefined "breakthrough" to mean 'move to a club that will challenge for the European Cup next year'. Which I think most people here would find ridiculously narrow and myopic.

(By your logic Hulk, who has not had any such 'breakthrough', is an obscure player. As was Neymar prior to his move to Spain.)

What defined Ozil's 'breakthrough' is not the move to the big club but that he came out of relative obscurity to establish himself as a top class footballer. The move to Real followed that and not vice versa. Rodriguez can make a step up in clubs but, given that he's already one of the most expensive transfers of all time, no one would seriously consider that a 'breakthrough'. Unless, like yourself, you somehow inexplicitly ignore everything other than one very narrow set of parameters.

Reekwind wrote: »
    What (I belive) CSF was pointing out is that arguing with your points is impossible given that you have shifted the discussion onto definitions. In this you've arbitrarily redefined "breakthrough" to mean 'move to a club that will challenge for the European Cup next year'. Which I think most people here would find ridiculously narrow and myopic.

(By your logic Hulk, who has not had any 'breakthrough' is an obscure player. As was Neymar prior to his move to Spain.)

What defined Ozil's 'breakthrough' is not the move to the big club but that he came out of relative obscurity to establish himself as a top class footballer. The move to Real followed that and not vice versa. Rodriguez can make a step up in clubs but, given that he's already one of the most expensive transfers of all time, no one would seriously consider that a 'breakthrough'. Unless, like yourself, you somehow inexplicitly ignore everything other than one very narrow set of parameters.

Fair points, but I've already explained why i don't believe that a transfer fee isn't as big a gauge in determining whether a player has made a breakthrough as opposed to actually proving themselvs against the best at the very best competetions. My reasons for having this opinion is that I believe the fees paid for players by these big financially backed clubs are skewed. I used playets like Hulk and Torres to illustrate this point. So yes, you're correct when you say he has commander one of the higest transfers of all time, but i still maintain that what James Rodriguez is doing at this world cup is establishing him in the game far far more than his €45 million fee did.

I don't mean to change the paramaters, and people are entitled to disagree with me, but the one word and abrupt replies without any discussion of points tend to get your back up.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Already a stand out keeper in la liga. Sid low even dedicated an article to him before the Greek game.

True...but outside of La Liga fans, he'd be pretty unknown.

Well he did play for a small club called AC Milan for a few years....

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Rodriguez is an interesting one. I wouldn't consider it a breakthrough for him, he's already playing at a high level on the back of a massive fee. He's definitely seen his profile rocket sky high as a result of his performances.

In fairness, bar here where everyone pretends to be an expert on every league, the majority of World Cup viewers wouldn't have picked Rodriguez out of a police line up a month ago. I'd venture that a narrow majority here would have heard of him and seen a few clips on YouTube. Now he's one of the most recognisable faces of the tournament and could potentially earn a move to Madrid off the back of it.

In terms of profile and announcing himself to a global audience, it has been absolutely massive for him.

Flincher wrote: »
    Rodriguez is an interesting one. I wouldn't consider it a breakthrough for him, he's already playing at a high level on the back of a massive fee. He's definitely seen his profile rocket sky high as a result of his performances.

In fairness, bar here where everyone pretends to be an expert on every league, the majority of World Cup viewers wouldn't have picked Rodriguez out of a police line up a month ago. I'd venture that a narrow majority here would have heard of him and seen a few clips on YouTube. Now he's one of the most recognisable faces of the tournament and could potentially earn a move to Madrid off the back of it.

In terms of profile and announcing himself to a global audience, it has been absolutely massive for him.

Are Ligue 1 games not shown on ESPN/BT Sport back in the UK and Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Are Ligue 1 games not shown on ESPN/BT Sport back in the UK and Ireland?
    Yeah Monaco nearly shown every week. Rodriguez really stepped up for Monaco & Columbia when Falcao was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure if a dude in his 30's could be considered breakthrough but Fred is vastly underrated and I feel like he could be the guy at the tail end of a lot of Brasil's moves popping it in the onion bag. The "breakthrough" for him would be a move back to Europe while he still has a couple of decent years left.
    Maybe more redemption than breakthrough for him.
    Ooo controversial!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think Guillermo Ochoa has to be given an honourable mention. Mexico's goalkeeper came into this World Cup without a club! He last played for Ajaccio who I think are second tier in France. He's earned at least one man of the match award also. A fine showcase for him.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think Guillermo Ochoa has to be given an honourable mention. Mexico's goalkeeper came into this World Cup without a club! He last played for Ajaccio who I think are second tier in France. He's earned at least one man of the match award also. A fine showcase for him.

Yeah that's a good pick actually, although he's only without a club because the team he played with got relegated last year... :p Navas (Costa Rica's goalkeeper) was also fantastic. :)

MD1990 wrote: »
    Yeah Monaco nearly shown every week. Rodriguez really stepped up for Monaco & Columbia when Falcao was injured.

Since I've never heard of or seen X player, no one else must have seen X player, except for Youtube.

Ridiculous.

I remember seeing Monaco play when I was back in Ireland for a month on BT Sports a couple of times this past season.

Rodriguez has played in the Champions League with Porto too and long touted as the next big thing from Colombia prior to his move to Portugal, let alone to Monaco.

• Advertisement

Ochoa is nowhere near a breakthrough player of the tourney for me. Highly regarded in France for a long time, and if it weren't for his family and he himself being very happy in France, he'd have been been on the move ages ago. Marseille have been tipped to sign him since January too. Ochoa's performance against PSG early last season is worth checking out.

Advertisement