Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will the breakthrough player at the World Cup?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

For me, Origi.

A player I had never heard of who has really put himself on the map with some very good performances, especially considering his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

inforfun wrote: »
    I've been impressed with him, but that index is terrible - look where Messi is. Look where Djourou is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I've been impressed with him, but that index is terrible - look where Messi is. Look where Djourou is.

Only used that index thing to show the company he is in.

I am terribly biased of course but i cant think of a better defensive pairing this WC than Vlaar\De Vrij.

Just hope they can do it 2 more matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Ochoa is nowhere near a breakthrough player of the tourney for me Highly regarded in France for a long time, and if it weren't for his family and he himself being very happy in France, he'd have been been on the move ages ago. Marseille have been tipped to sign him since January too. Ochoa's performance against PSG early last season is worth checking out.

And for me, he is. See how that works? The amount of sniping on this thread is gas. Anytime anyone mentions anyone, someone has to say 'Ah I know him this that and the other'. Makes the thread pointless really.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Omackeral wrote: »
    And for me, he is. See how that works? The amount of sniping on this thread is gas. Anytime anyone mentions anyone, someone has to say 'Ah I know him this that and the other'. Makes the thread pointless really.

If you genuinely think I was sniping, god help you. He's well known and respected is my point. I don't need to be a follower of Ligue 1 really to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

elefant wrote: »
    For me, Origi.

A player I had never heard of who has really put himself on the map with some very good performances, especially considering his age.

Getting him a move to LFC.

Also impressed by Vlaar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If a player is playing in the World Cup, it's normal that they're also starting for and doing well for a club of a reasonable standing. For a breakthrough player, are we looking for a player found playing beach soccer on the Copacabana a few days before the tournament?

Let's not forget that Ozil had led Werder Bremen to the German Cup final the year he 'broke through' at the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

If you genuinely think I was sniping, god help you. He's well known and respected is my point. I don't need to be a follower of Ligue 1 really to say that.

Wasn't Özil a decent player in Germany before the 2010 World Cup?

This thread is just getting ridiculous at this stage. I'd definitely consider Ochoa a breakthrough player at this World Cup, if it wasn't for his performances I would never have took much notice of him and probably about 99% of non-Ligue 1/Mexico fans would be in the same boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its clear that a lot of people did not know anything about James Rodriguez before this World Cup. Some of the pundits seem to be in that boat as well.

I suppose there are some of us, the regs on here who just follow the game worldwide and then there are the majority who rarely look at a game outside of the EPL and possibly watch a couple of Derby games from the Italian, German and Spanish leagues.

I'm hearing it at work and from my friends. This James lad is going to be something else, he will be with one of the big clubs shortly. They don't seem to even get it when you tell them that he is at a very rich club now and in the Champion's League next season with a team that will be very competitive.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Özil a decent player in Germany before the 2010 World Cup?

This thread is just getting ridiculous at this stage. I'd definitely consider Ochoa a breakthrough player at this World Cup, if it wasn't for his performances I would never have took much notice of him and probably about 99% of non-Ligue 1/Mexico fans would be in the same boat.
    Not for me though, I remember we had this best team only using one player per league and I put him in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63489268&postcount=15

Actually, might start one of them again. Its good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its clear that a lot of people did not know anything about James Rodriguez before this World Cup. Some of the pundits seem to be in that boat as well.

I suppose there are some of us, the regs on here who just follow the game worldwide and then there are the majority who rarely look at a game outside of the EPL and possibly watch a couple of Derby games from the Italian, German and Spanish leagues.

I'm hearing it at work and from my friends. This James lad is going to be something else, he will be with one of the big clubs shortly. They don't seem to even get it when you tell them that he is at a very rich club now and in the Champion's League next season with a team that will be very competitive.

I think you pretty much described the RTÉ 'senior' analyst panel there.

Their lack of knowledge/research is astounding sometimes. Even Brady, who should know better having been involved with Arsenal up until recently.

Not you in particular but a lot of people just seem to be shooting lads down for saying any players name in the thread. Ochoa was a keeper at a nether region Ligue 1 team, now Ligue 2. Most people I know would be doing well to name any players from Ajaccio. As for knowing how his family feel etc... I don't even know what to say about that except it's hardly common knowledge.

Also, I only suggested he was an honourable mention. Not the defining breakout star. Who would you pick as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Let's be honest: more people here probably know Ochoa from being a bargain in FM 2009 than his exploits in Ligue 1

Reekwind wrote: »
    Let's be honest: more people here probably know Ochoa from being a bargain in FM 2009 than his exploits in Ligue 1
    I have never played any manager game since LMA went off the market. I never played FM or CM as I think it was called before that.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not you in particular but a lot of people just seem to be shooting lads down for saying any players name in the thread. Ochoa was a keeper at a nether region Ligue 1 team, now Ligue 2. Most people I know would be doing well to name any players from Ajaccio. As for knowing how his family feel etc... I don't even know what to say about that except it's hardly common knowledge.

Also, I only suggested he was an honourable mention. Not the defining breakout star. Who would you pick as a matter of interest?

Fair enough.

Posted it the other day here, but Manolas for Greece gets my vote.
    Impressed me vs Man U in the CL last season, and has arguably been the best CB I've seen this World Cup. Some big club out there has to purchase him this summer. I hope it's Liverpool.

Hopefully Origi starts tomorrow, because he's impressed me in every game, albeit he's only started the one game. His cameos from off the bench have been superb too.

Musa, Herrera, Giménez and Aránguiz are other notable mentions.

Reekwind wrote: »

Never played Football Manager or Championship Manager before. Guilty of playing LMA 2004, though thankfully I only rented it at the time as I only played it for a few hours as I found it immensely boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I'd go with Fabian Johnson. I was extremely impressed with him, and DeAndre Yedlin as well actually. They were both very good attacking full backs when on the field, and often the main threats for the US. I'd probably put Yedlin ahead of Johnson due to age and where they've both been playing club football. Others I thought were impressive were Joel Campbell, maybe Memphis Depay (hadn't heard of him before really), Origi and Slimani for Algeria.

I thought Rodriguez was excellent but I'm not sure if you could call him a breakthrough player.

Yedlin is a smashing shout. He was very impressive. Remains to be seen if we hear much more from him in the future.

Advertisement