Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KCC Fixed Penalty Notice for parking - Maynooth

Options
  • 12-06-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭

So I was walking through to Leinster Street via Main Street (this is according to Google maps, I was at the side of Oak Alley, I'm not sure what the lane is known as) and there was a Peugeot 206 parked on double yellows. I noticed a Kildare County Council Fixed Penalty Notice attached to the windscreen.

I have been living here around eight years now and have yet to see such a notice on any car, no matter how illegally parked.

Is this the first sign that a traffic warden is now active, or has this always been the case?

On another point, there is a gap in the double yellows down that alley. There is no obvious reason for the gap to be there as it is a two way street at that point and two cars could not pass if there is someone parked in this spot. I assume it was just missed when they were painting the lines as there are no white markings to indicate that it is a parking spot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Delighted by this, parking in Maynooth is shocking.

Hopefully something is also done about all day parking by commuters. The sooner pay and display comes in the better, at least then you'd be able to get a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

My wife got a €40 fine in the post for parking on the pavement outside the secondary school during the recent parent-teacher meetings. There was no penalty affixed to her car.
    That's fine, but what about:
    - the parking on pavements that occur at Mass times
    - the Taxis parking 'across' the pavements around the town
    - also, do you have to complain to the Council for them to act - I can't believe that either the Garda or the Council are pro-actively dealing with parking infringements around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Not a chance the Gardaí are acting on it, they'd make thousands per hour in fines if they did.

The taxi thing is disgraceful, there's a taxi rank outside Dunnes for them to wait at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

My wife got a €40 fine in the post for parking on the pavement outside the secondary school during the recent parent-teacher meetings. There was no penalty affixed to her car.

How did she get the fine? Did someone present it to her when she returned to the car or did it arrive in the post?
    - also, do you have to complain to the Council for them to act - I can't believe that either the Garda or the Council are pro-actively dealing with parking infringements around the town.

I agree - massgoers, taxi drivers, delivery drivers, anyone who parks a car illegally, should be subject to the same treatment.

Re. mass, is the school car park is open during weekend mass times?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're expecting KCC wardens to work outside of 9-5 Mon-Thurs 9-4 Fri :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Re. mass, is the school car park is open during weekend mass times?

It is, but that's too far to walk for some people.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    How did she get the fine? Did someone present it to her when she returned to the car or did it arrive in the post?

It arrived in the post. I imagine that someone complained to the Garda and they did a drive-by and took the registrations of the offending vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I see wardens around once every couple of months alright, and the Gardaí when they're on the beat also. Not often enough to be a real deterrent though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Staplor wrote: »

Hopefully something is also done about all day parking by commuters. The sooner pay and display comes in the better, at least then you'd be able to get a spot.

It will be done. Once the new car park is ready on Doctor's Lane parking on the Main St and side streets will be 1 hour or 2 hour only.

Rathkenny wrote: »
    I have to say I'm very happy to read this. It was probably the same day I was walking down Moyglare Road and a lady pushing a buggy in front of me had to walk on the road as there was no space for her to walk on the footpath on either side of the road. I'm particularly conscious of this careless parking given that I will be pushing a double buggy up and down Moyglare Road in a few months time and certainly don't want to have to risk walking on the road with my newborns.

I completely agree that the same approach should be taken to all illegal parking in Maynooth.

We had no problem with it either. I'm all for zero-tolerance for illegal parking, but let's wait and see how that works out.
    I can't see the faithful being targeted while they attend church – even though they shouldn’t be treated differently to any of the rest of us.
    As far as I can see, government agencies in this country tend not act on their own initiative – they happily act if they receive a complaint.
    As for the Taxis that I mentioned in the earlier post, well why should we pay a fine yet they block the pavements on a nightly basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Staplor wrote: »

That and the red light jumpers blocking the junctions it's a peeve of mine.

We need atheist night owl wardens who will work weekends.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If you ever see the warden, will you inform them of the loading bay out the back of Brady's and McMahon's. Every day I go there, it's full of cars. I'm left with no choice but to park on the footpath.

beertons wrote: »
    If you ever see the warden, will you inform them of the loading bay out the back of Brady's and McMahon's. Every day I go there, it's full of cars. I'm left with no choice but to park on the footpath.

Are you a delivery driver?

You should mention it to the business' in town, they pay rates and should be getting something for their money.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Should have mentioned that I drive a van. They can't do anything about people parking in the loading bays. It's the same when Conaty's deliver, up on the footpath too. I helped a guy bring flour and ingredients into the bakery last month, I wanted him off the path quicker, he thought I worked there, wanted me to sign for the food.

beertons wrote: »
    They can't do anything about people parking in the loading bays.

They can't, but the Council should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

They have been issuing fines for cars parked along the back lane that runs parallel to the main street. There is a woman in a house there that requires urgent care regularly but cars continue to block her house. They have finally marked it as a wheelchair space.

Once off fines are no deterrent as they aren't continuous enough for people to take note. Something serious needs to be done before it gets even worse.

Advertisement