Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ios 8 ???

• 12-06-2014 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

So how come I'm seeing dudes on youtube play around with their ios 8 update and i cant get it ? Iv searched the net for answers but ya cant beat a straight plain english answer from your fellow boardsies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It's a beta version only released to developers. Us commoners will have to wait until later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

So how come I'm seeing dudes on youtube play around with their ios 8 update and i cant get it ? Iv searched the net for answers but ya cant beat a straight plain english answer from your fellow boardsies

Its only in beta with developers at the minute, it for them to test out their apps etc, most websites would get early versions too. If you do REALLY want it, a quick google search will tell you how, but wouldn't recommend installation until its actually released by Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

You can also get it as well
    if you register your udid at imzdl.com
    and then download the iOS 8 beta through this website as well
    there are many guides on youtube etc
    it will be buggy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

iOS 8 beta 2 is out today...apparently some of the crashes are supposed to be fixed..downloading now to try it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Blazer wrote: »
    iOS 8 beta 2 is out today...apparently some of the crashes are supposed to be fixed..downloading now to try it out :)

Send me link to for easiest way to download it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Aodhagan wrote: »

What was that link for ? Nothing about ios8 init

What was that link for ? Nothing about ios8 init

You don't seem ready for iOS 8, init.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    You don't seem ready for iOS 8, init.

What made you think i was a developer? and what would make you think id pay 100$ to be a member.. Yuppy

Up voting this entire thread.

• Advertisement

The only way to get it is to be a developer or pay one of the Udid sites to register your iPhone so u can install the beta,

So far no crashes, seems pretty stable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

What made you think i was a developer? and what would make you think id pay 100$ to be a member.. Yuppy

Let's keep tone civil. Thank you.

Anyone upgraded to beta 2?

Nah won't be bothering with it until GM for the iPhone. Might give it a go on the iPad after Beta 4/5

Zcott wrote: »
    Anyone upgraded to beta 2?

yeah did it this morning on my primary ..seems pretty stable so far..texting on the keyboard is a bit laggy but nothing serious

Much more stable than beta 1?

Zcott wrote: »
    Much more stable than beta 1?

yep by far...not single crash all day so far..touch wood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭IrishBlaine

Notice a few apps now work under beta 2, Google Chrome and the Meteor app

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

If you're not a developer and you're intending to install an iOS beta on your primary phone, I've a simple piece of advice: DON'T.

The betas are intended for developers to test their apps against and they really aren't ready for daily use.

The first 4 or 5 betas are usually completely bug ridden and unstable. Apps won't work or look completely wonky because of changes to iOS. Sure there's new shiny features but is there really something that you couldn't live without until the official release?

^^ agreed but in fairness this one is very stable I'm finding.
    Of course beta 3 could break something else in 2 weeks time :D

• Advertisement

Draco wrote: »
    If you're not a developer and you're intending to install an iOS beta on your primary phone, I've a simple piece of advice: DON'T.

The betas are intended for developers to test their apps against and they really aren't ready for daily use.

The first 4 or 5 betas are usually completely bug ridden and unstable. Apps won't work or look completely wonky because of changes to iOS. Sure there's new shiny features but is there really something that you couldn't live without until the official release?

Yeah, I know. I'm not a developer, but I enjoy seeing new features. I know all the warnings and I've been running the betas since I think iOS 2.0.

FWIW it is possible to rollback to iOS 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

All I want is the Podcasts app and iTunes to actually sync the podcasts I have ticked, not podcasts I haven't ticked. Is that too much to ask? I don't need any new functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Mr.S wrote: »
    Thats silly talk, if people want to try out new features, so be it.

The betas are not perfect obviously, but they are mostly fine for daily use.

Just have a backup and you are fine.

So you're not an iOS developer then?

If beta users were not allowed to leave reviews then I probably wouldn't have an issue. But they can, and I do.

Also, some of the features advertised for iOS 8 aren't even available yet because a) they're not in the early betas or b) there are no actual iOS 8 apps in the store to use those new features.

About "mostly fine for daily use" - if you're on a call and you don't mind the phone rebooting, be my guest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I think your looking taking it a bit seriously... some people just want to try out the betas out of curiosity, I don't think anyone expects them to work fully :confused:

I think the issue is there is no easy way back from iOS8 to ios7... You may disable something critical (I remember one of the 3 betas didn't support phone calls!), and you've no choice but to wait till the next beta or final release.

3DataModem wrote: »
    I think the issue is there is no easy way back from iOS8 to ios7... You may disable something critical (I remember one of the 3 betas didn't support phone calls!), and you've no choice but to wait till the next beta or final release.

Not true - I rolled back to iOS 7 with no problems. You can roll back no problem as long as Apple are signing iOS 7, which should be until iOS 8 is out.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I don't think anyone expects them to work fully :confused:
    People certainly do expect their apps to work perfectly and when they don't leave bad reviews on the App Store which is utter, utterly frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm not a developer, but last year I installed a beta for ios7 on day 1 and stuck with it till release with barely a problem. Certainly no problem serious enough for me to roll back to 6.
    I haven't bothered this time as I'm enjoying a jailbreak, but I wouldn't be adverse to trying it either.
    The people with developers accounts just hate for 'ordinary' users to be in the loop I think. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

In a nut shell what are the major differences in iOS 8 too 7?

Enhanced camera controls
    New keyboards with predictive text
    iCloud Drive for sharing files between devices
    Health kit for connecting all the fitness bands
    Handoff and Continuity - close one device and the content will be visible on another, and answer phone calls and texts on an iPad or Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thanks hopefully improved battery life too

Advertisement