Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbal warning query

Options
  • 12-06-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

BACKGROUND : I've worked in my current place of employment for the last 7 years under 3 different bosses. Today a new employee (he's been here about 4 months) called me in on my day off. He thinks he's my boss yet when I ask my employer who my boss is he tells me it's him (my employer) So I go in to work (on my day off) and the first thing the new employee says to me is "I need to record this conversation" and proceeds to start recording audio on his phone. Surely you can't just start recording without explaining to the other person what is going on? Obviously I was shocked. I immediately asked him what this was about. He wouldn't answer. He asked my name. I wouldn't answer as I had no clue what was going on. He then started asking me questions and in the process pissing me off. I answered his questions and accusation honestly.

My question is this: can someone who is not my employer but thinks they're my boss/manager give me a verbal warning or where do I stand?

In all my working life I've never received any verbal/written warnings until today.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Adje wrote: »
    So I go in to work (on my day off)
    I answered his questions and accusation honestly

If this guy isn't your boss, then why did you go into work on his order? And why did you allow him interrogate you? I'm not sure you're giving us the full story here.

Anyway, best thing to do would be to speak to your actual boss about this as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

My question is this: can someone who is not my employer but thinks they're my boss/manager give me a verbal warning or where do I stand?

What do you think? he is not your boss as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

short answer no. if there is a hr department in your place ask them where you stand also ask your boss. sounds like an 'interesting' situation.

why has this individual given you a verbal warning

Also no more going going in on your day off unless someone in charge oks it.

If this is a shop, I have seen this happen before, new guy is told he will get a supervisors position and comes in and starts laying down the law only nobody else has been told if he is a supervisor or not.

I remember this new guy was telling me what to do. that because he had more experience he was a superior and I wasn't sure if he was right or not. turns out he wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Adje

If this guy isn't your boss, then why did you go into work on his order? And why did you allow him interrogate you? I'm not sure you're giving us the full story here.

Anyway, best thing to do would be to speak to your actual boss about this as soon as possible.

Because he makes things difficult if you don't do as he says.

I was defending myself and my position by rebutting his claims. How would you react in the same position?

What do you think? he is not your boss as you say.

Sorry I have no idea how to multi quote on my phone.

So this is not legal?

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »
    short answer no. if there is a hr department in your place ask them where you stand also ask your boss. sounds like an 'interesting' situation.

why has this individual given you a verbal warning

Also no more going going in on your day off unless someone in charge oks it.

If this is a shop, I have seen this happen before, new guy is told he will get a supervisors position and comes in and starts laying down the law only nobody else has been told if he is a supervisor or not.

I remember this new guy was telling me what to do. that because he had more experience he was a superior and I wasn't sure if he was right or not. turns out he wasn't.

He gave out to me for doing exactly the same thing he does. It's ok for him to do it but not me.....double standards.

This is almost exactly what happened! It is a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You definitely need to ask someone you definitely know is a superior what the management structure is. It can be very frustrating and demotivating to have to guess who you're working for, if they don't know themselves it can result in conflicting instructions and confusion on everyone's part.

If you had no luck asking them what they were doing it for go to your real boss and let them know what happened, just lay down the facts objectively, let them know how it made you feel if it confused/concerned you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

He gave out to me for doing exactly the same thing he does. It's ok for him to do it but not me.....double standards.

This is almost exactly what happened! It is a shop.

Outside of the actual situation, what he does is totally irrelevant, that's his managers problem, not yours unless he is preventing you from performing your job.

Sorry if that comes across as a bit harsh but if you want to protect yourself, that's the way you need to look at it.

if this person is in the same position as you of course he cant give you a warning! what would stop you from giving him a warning if that as the case? only a manager,supervisor or someone from the HR can go through a disciplinary procedures with you and at that Id imagine your entitled to have a witness there such as union rep or another employee.

If you do have grievances with this person you should raise it with the manager yourself.

sounds like a strange thing to do...mabe he thinks hes a supervisor of some sort??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Either he's crazy (not impossible) or he genuinely think's he's your manager.

Either way, report the incident to your manager. Work thus in your head a couple of possible ways that you manager might respond, and what information and action you need friom him/her in each case. Some examples:

Laughs and says that XXX is not your manager and cannot give you a warning- you need to know what s/he will do to stop it happening again.

Laughs but does not say that XXX is not your manager - this is the dangerous one, the boss may be the real problem, too chicken to do the bosses job him/herself.

Looks you in the eye and says "Yes, i asked him to do it" - make sure you know what your problem with the situation are.

Looks serious and says "I did not know about that. I will investigate and get back to you by DATE. In the meantime, any performance issues will be raised with you by me, and if anyone else says anything end the conversation and refer them to me" - this is what a professional manager would do (investigate before saying anything that commits them. Best case scenario IMHO.

• Advertisement

If the manger did ask the guy to give you a warning and hes in a similar position to you id have a serious problem with that too
    Id only take go into that type of meeting with a manager or hr and with a withness such as union rep id also want a very good reason for the meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

There's an issue straight away with being asked to come in on your day off. I'd suggest not doing that again. Pick this up with your manager and HR, until that's done it's very difficult to give you any advice; this chap sounds like a nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I'd say there is no hr.

take it up with the boss tell him what happened. Remember you have been there a lot long than this noob so its more of a quiet word/heads up conversation than a screaming match.
    'this is what happened what should I do next time' vibe

Don't worry about it I imagine the guy has blotted his own copy book not yours. Talking to guy speak quietly and calmly and work wise do everything by the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

How would you react in the same position?

I would have told him where to stick it the second he tried to play boss-man and summon me in to work on my day off. Your first mistake was not doing that.

Advertisement