Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer in Canada

Options
  • 12-06-2014 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I'm just looking around and hoping to head off to Toronto next summer. I'm not sure where to begin but what visa is it that I require to get? Is it the IEC? Because that's a two year working visa. Would it be J1, or is that just an American visa only?

I know it's very early but I'd like to be prepared to get my application up and running and head away to Canada without any problems next year :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm just looking around and hoping to head off to Toronto next summer. I'm not sure where to begin but what visa is it that I require to get? Is it the IEC? Because that's a two year working visa. Would it be J1, or is that just an American visa only?

I know it's very early but I'd like to be prepared to get my application up and running and head away to Canada without any problems next year :)

its be a iec visa yeah the working holiday one, j1 has nothing to do with canada and cant you only do a j1 to the states if your only out of or in college im not sure if that apply to you there's certain criteria anyway ,
    if im honest you be better off doing the j1 for the summer in the states if you can because if your only want to do it for the summer , your wasting a chance at a full 2 years for the sake of a few months doing an iec for only a summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

That's perfect then, will apply for the IEC visa!

To be honest, I don't want to go to the States as I'll be heading over there in the following year for internship in Seattle so there isn't really much point for me to go there when I can explore it while I'm on internship. I've done Eastern Seaboard before with the family so not going to bother with it again for another few years. West Coast will be done when I do my internship and likewise for Chicago. Florida will be visited when I do my semester abroad in Daytona.

As explained above, this would be my only opportunity to visit Toronto and the surrounding areas. During the summer, I would make trips down to New York or Chicago for the fun but I'm sticking with Toronto for a place to visit next summer really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

That's perfect then, will apply for the IEC visa!

To be honest, I don't want to go to the States as I'll be heading over there in the following year for internship in Seattle so there isn't really much point for me to go there when I can explore it while I'm on internship. I've done Eastern Seaboard before with the family so not going to bother with it again for another few years. West Coast will be done when I do my internship and likewise for Chicago. Florida will be visited when I do my semester abroad in Daytona.

As explained above, this would be my only opportunity to visit Toronto and the surrounding areas. During the summer, I would make trips down to New York or Chicago for the fun but I'm sticking with Toronto for a place to visit next summer really :)

yeah but once ya part take you cant again so you get a 2 year visa and only use it for say 3 months , where as if ya wanted until your qualifed you could make use the full 2 years sometime in the future. instead if kinda wasting the other 21 months of it . why not just save now and just go on a holiday . a holiday visa they can be up to 90 days. just cant work .

yeah but once ya part take you cant again so you get a 2 year visa and only use it for say 3 months , where as if ya wanted until your qualifed you could make use the full 2 years sometime in the future. instead if kinda wasting the other 21 months of it . why not just save now and just go on a holiday . a holiday visa they can be up to 90 days. just cant work .

Thing is, I don't intend to settle down in Canada after college as there isn't many jobs available in the sector of aeronautical engineering in Canada. I'm set on going to Toronto as I want to visit that place. Been to Montreal, intend to go to Vancouver in the following year during my internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

whats montreal like?

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    whats montreal like?

The place is nice looking alright. Downtown is where you want to be with all the shops and the Chinatown is amazing! As you leave downtown, it's quite tacky looking with badly maintained roads and streets. Montreal is more of an industrial city rather than tourist if you know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 curry2014

Does anyone know anyone know about getting a red seal / journey man cert for a shuttering carpenter in Edmonton Alberta , I've been offered a job but no formal qualifications but do have over 9000 hours experience and can it be done here ?

Many Thanks

Not sure how to start a thread so not sure if I'm in the right place
    So sorry if I'm in the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

curry2014 wrote: »
    Not sure how to start a thread so not sure if I'm in the right place
    So sorry if I'm in the wrong place

Go back and you'll see New Thread on top of the page - that's how you start a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

is it just a holiday or do you intend getting a job for the few months? if its only a holiday you wont need the iec...

Stinjy wrote: »
    is it just a holiday or do you intend getting a job for the few months? if its only a holiday you wont need the iec...

More of a working holiday. Like J1 in the States but in Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 curry2014

james182 wrote: »
    Go back and you'll see New Thread on top of the page - that's how you start a thread

I'm sorry I still can't see it . I'm using an iPad but not the app

curry2014 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I still can't see it . I'm using an iPad but not the app

What he means is, you should make a new thread for your queries. Not hijack someone else's.

New Thread button should be easily seen at the top of the page, below the advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

can you see it yet !!

newthreadpic.png

Advertisement