Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Group A

• 12-06-2014 2:09am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Brazil squad
    Mexico squad
    Croatia squad
    Cameroon squad

Group A fixtures (Kick-off Irish time)

12 June 2014
    Brazil 3 v 1 Croatia, Arena de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, 9pm (ITV)
    13 June 2014
    Mexico 1 v 0 Cameroon, Arena das Dunas, Natal, 5pm (ITV)
    17 June 2014
    Brazil v Mexico, Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza, 8pm (BBC)
    18 June 2014
    Cameroon v Croatia, Arena Amazonia, Manaus, 11pm (ITV)
    23 June 2014
    Brazil v Cameroon, Estadio Nacional, Brasilia, 9pm (ITV)
    23 June 2014
    Mexico v Croatia, Arena Pernambuco, Recife, 9pm (ITV)

BBC Group A preview

Group A Odds

The stadia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Brazil and Mexico to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Brazil and croatia for me.

If the brazilians destroy croatia in the first game maybe thier thier confidence will be gone but see them being too strong for Mexico and Cameroon.

Top scorer in group: Fred
    Best defence: Brazil
    Most goals conceded: Mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Brazil and Croatia to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think Brazil and Croatia to qualify but I don't expect Brazil to walk this, I see them slipping under the pressure they be under. Expect a shock defeat but they will qualify by the skin of their teeth. Cameron might run a few of them close and Mexico you just never know with the weather and if they play as a team they might shock and get out of this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Brazil and Mexico for me. I'm only tipping the Mexicans because its in SA. Reckon Croatia will get beat in the opening game and they'll struggle then against Mexico.

• Advertisement

• Does anybody know when Mario Mandzukic ban is up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Does anybody know when Mario Mandzukic ban is up?

He miss the Brazil game and he be back after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Does anybody know when Mario Mandzukic ban is up?

Misses this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Croatia to top this group

• xtal191 wrote: »
    Croatia to top this group

Great price to beat Brazil tonight @ 11/1 but with the above missing it will be tough ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Draw in the opener ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think Croatia may spring a surprise tonight and get a result, with all the pressure on Brazil to get of to a winning start.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

I reckon it could come down to goal difference as to who qualifies along with Brazil, it should be a really interesting group because Cameroon, Croatia and Mexico are all decent sides.

Can't wait for it to start, I'm so flippin' excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

BRA XI Cesar; D.Alves, T.Silva, D.Luiz, Marcelo; Paulinho, L.Gustavo; Hulk, Oscar, Neymar; Fred

CRO XI Pletikosa, Srna, Corluka, Lovren, Vrsaijko, Brozovic, Modric, Rakitic, Perisic, Olic, Jelavic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Im so excited :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No Kovacic?!?

Twitter is showing two different line ups for Croatia, one with Kovacic and one without. Have the teams been up on ITV or RTE yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I feel Croatia have a good chance of winning here to be honest. They have a solid midfield who can cause problems for the Brasil defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

BBC say he's starting on the website. Pranjic being dropped is a bit surprising but i guess they probably feel they've enough creative attack minded central midfielders. Croatia could really dominate the ball here.

BBC say he's starting on the website. Pranjic being dropped is a bit surprising but i guess they probably feel they've enough creative attack minded central midfielders. Croatia could really dominate the ball here.

Their first line up didn't have him playing :pac: I assume he's playing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Barca and Man City is a now a classico according to Dunphy.

• Dunphy lol, luiz would be a liability in the loi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Buzzing for this one, let's go Croatia!

Now that's the way to sing an anthem! Take note Irish players

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Luis Gustavo's moustache is magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've made a match thread here, presume there's enough people watching the opener for it to be worthwhile :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Been a Brazil fan since watching the great Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Eder and that magical team of 1982. This current squad is virtually un-Brazilian in comparison. I fear an over exposure to European football has sapped the magic out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hate to mention it but after the defeat for Croatia does anyone suspect this could end up a tactical draw between Mexico and Cameroon? One point each today would keep both in the hunt, a loss pretty much scuppers them. If its even after say 70 minutes I expect a very slow end to the game

Brazil 3
    Croatia 0
    Mexico -
    Cameroon -

• mike65 wrote: »
    I hate to mention it but after the defeat for Croatia does anyone suspect this could end up a tactical draw between Mexico and Cameroon? One point each today would keep both in the hunt, a loss pretty much scuppers them. If its even after say 70 minutes I expect a very slow end to the game

Brazil 3
    Croatia 0
    Mexico -
    Cameroon -

Can't see why Mexico won't go for the win, it's there most likely chance of getting 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't see why Mexico won't go for the win, it's there most likely chance of getting 3 points.

The fear of loosing is much stronger than the hope of winning.

• mike65 wrote: »

True, I agree to an extent above possibly caused by first match jitters.

But I do really think Mexico should just go for it.
    Cameroon could be classed as the cannon fodder of the group, if they can't beat them they haven't a hope of getting anything against Brazil / Croatia.

mike65 wrote: »

I'd wager you're completely wrong and Mexico will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Although Croatia played well last night and are probably the better of the remaining three teams, I fear that their coming fixtures in two of the more difficult venues climate-wise might prove their undoing.
    It's a pity really as they are probably amongst the top sides in the tournament as they were in Euro 2012, but have been desperately unlucky with the draw again.

• yaboya1 wrote: »
    Although Croatia played well last night and are probably the better of the remaining three teams, I fear that their coming fixtures in two of the more difficult venues climate-wise might prove their undoing.
    It's a pity really as they are probably amongst the top sides in the tournament as they were in Euro 2012, but have been desperately unlucky with the draw again.

Not with manzukic coming back to the fold. I think they will be stronger.

A lot seemed overly concerned about weather conditions, player conditioning shouldn't be a concern. Unless extra time is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭padders67

really hope Mexico do a number on Cameroon , the arrogance of Cameroon pre our game in WC 2002 was sickening .

although Mexico's behaviour in USA 94 wasn't great either !

• Advertisement

• padders67 wrote: »
    really hope Mexico do a number on Cameroon , the arrogance of Cameroon pre our game in WC 2002 was sickening .

Bring back John Aldridge :)

padders67 wrote: »

Tbf now you're talking about teams 12 and 20 years ago :P

mike65 wrote: »

A draw between the two teams would completely suit Croatia! They'd only need 4 points to qualify from the last two, assuming Brazil win both games.

Mexico could and should be 2 up. More awful officiating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 briancarrol692

My bold prediction is that Spain will not qualify from their group.
    Controversial!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

My bold prediction is that Spain will not qualify from their group.
    Controversial!!

It would have been this time yesterday, not so much now.

Advertisement