Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into Rugby (Over Summer)

Options
  • 12-06-2014 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

Hope this is the right way to about asking, (First time poster, so apologies in advance!)

I am just wondering if anyone can give me any advice/suggestions with regard to starting back playing rugby?

I played for four years down the country before moving to Dublin but had to give it up to make way for the Leaving Cert and all that that entails.

I will hopefully be heading to some sort of 3rd level Course in September, and whilst I know that there are rugby clubs in the vast majority of colleges, I feel I need a good solid recap and chance to get fit before strolling onto the pitch and getting slaughtered.

So to get to the point; are there any clubs in Dublin/Kildare/Carlow/Wicklow/Meath etc. (tag included) that run anything at all, camps or otherwise, where I would be able to join in and just get back onto a pitch?

I am going 19 in july and I have my own transport, any info at all is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Most clubs start up training in the end of July / early August and would be happy for anyone to come along and join in. Your best bet is to pick one near you and go along as it'll get you back into the swing of things before college starts and you could end up playing fro them as well during the season if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Think the rugby league in Dublin runs during the summer, clubs like exiles. A good way to get some tackling practise at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

College rugby is no great shakes, there will be guys taking up rugby for the first time in their life, so it will be a gentle enough introduction to it.
    Also great crack in college rugby.

Don't worry too much about it. Everyone is in awful condition after a summer off, but just wait till you get into a college, and then decide whether you want to play nearby or where ever, and just join a club. Its not a big deal at all. There is always someone like me who is always the unfittest there making everyone and anyone look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Where are you based rozzer?

I'd say email a local club. A lot of clubs do a bit of fitness work over the summer either playing tip, tag or league. So if it's a case of just easing yourself back into it that's a good way to start. From that perspective you can just pop down on whatever evening and spin a ball around for a hour or two.

I've never played higher level for a school or college so I honestly don't know how it works in that case.

Advertisement